Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 68

Author Topic: Cult - New Development Video (5-10-12)  (Read 110127 times)

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
Re: Cult - v0.15 Tech Demo Released
« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2011, 03:22:27 pm »

As promised (warning, these files are LARGE):
A world:
http://cultrl.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/wgs1.png

Language code still needs updating; it tends to produce rather unintelligible sounding combinations.

Post civ-spread:
http://cultrl.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/wgspc1.png
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:27:13 pm by Lord Dullard »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2011, 03:48:13 pm »

That looks awesome. Am I allowed to nitpick? (Pick nits?)

There are two islands on the map which aren't islands, or the water that seperates them fom the water is not wide enough to show up on the world map. Neiwose Isle (top right) and Einigez Island (middle right, near the desert).

Also, I believe this is the single thread where I used the word 'awesome' the most.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2011, 04:23:34 pm »

Post civ-spread:
http://cultrl.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/wgspc1.png
By the year 406, the Fjoygoysoy Empire had managed to spread far and wide. Historians trace their success to dropping all vowels from their language except for the diphthong 'oy'.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2011, 11:13:46 pm »

That looks awesome. Am I allowed to nitpick? (Pick nits?)

There are two islands on the map which aren't islands, or the water that seperates them fom the water is not wide enough to show up on the world map. Neiwose Isle (top right) and Einigez Island (middle right, near the desert).

Also, I believe this is the single thread where I used the word 'awesome' the most.

Thanks, Eagle. I hadn't noticed that. The top-right island is actually not connected to the continent by land - it's only connected by an ice bridge. This happens occasionally (it's semi-intended; I didn't really expect it originally, but once I noticed it was happening, I decided I liked it enough to leave it in and allow player characters to traverse frozen spans of ice).

The other one is a genuine glitch. I just did a significant amount of retooling on the lake and island-finding algorithms when I adjusted them for increased speed, so I suspect I may have missed something in the process. I'd gotten them to the point of being more or less glitch-free prior to my latest bout of messing around, but apparently that isn't the case anymore.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2011, 01:12:39 pm »

I've noticed that your worlds all seem to look about the same. Are you going to do anything to get more varied continent shapes? Two distinct land masses, anything like that?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2011, 02:05:04 pm »

I've noticed that your worlds all seem to look about the same. Are you going to do anything to get more varied continent shapes? Two distinct land masses, anything like that?

Yes, I've been making this a goal lately, although to be honest I don't want to spend too much more time on the physical part of worldgen. If I can't figure out something easy to implement that creates varied continents, I may consider dividing the map up into different-sized random sectors and generating mini-maps that will be compacted into one rather than simply generating one large continent.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 28, 2011, 02:28:56 pm »

I'd much rather you skipped along and started working on the cult design. Sounds awesome, man. You can come back to world gen later.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 28, 2011, 02:39:32 pm »

Yeah, not a huge deal. Just something I noticed.

What you have is certainly enough to work with for the main game. Getting more varied maps can come later.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2011, 12:02:25 am »

Maybe one day you can simulate plate tectonics a bit, but don't spend too much time on making the world's best world generator :P.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »

I'd much rather you skipped along and started working on the cult design. Sounds awesome, man. You can come back to world gen later.

Go ahead and follow Farseer's advice. Worldgen isn't everything.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »

Question if you don't mind answering? What do you do to generate the biomes and rivers?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 30, 2011, 12:59:08 am »

Rivers are generated following what is basically a very complicated path-finding algorithm based on heightmap differences rather than blocked/walkable tiles.

Forests/deserts/etc. are formed by creating entirely separate random noise maps and then superimposing them over the terrain map.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 01, 2011, 11:45:15 am »

Making slow but steady progress. Swearing at a lot of inanimate objects.

Terrain gen should (hopefully) look more interesting soon. Screenshots to be posted in short order.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 01, 2011, 01:04:55 pm »

Ask and ye shall receive!

These are fairly representative of the sorts of maps I'm getting now, although there's still some work to be done. But here are your multiple continents:

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 01, 2011, 01:21:10 pm »

Very cool!

Sill a little landmass-heavy, I think, which makes for a map that looks tailored to the rectangle. But A good improvement, and probably sufficient for now.
Come play Mafia with us!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 68