Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24

Author Topic: The Ark Project - Help Wanted  (Read 68553 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Ark Project - Help Wanted
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2010, 05:16:56 pm »

One problem, though I don't expect you to change anything, is size/scale.

Pizdzius

• Bay Watcher
  • Piz, Engraver - Attending Ark Project
    • View Profile
    • My webcomic
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2010, 06:04:31 pm »

What exactly? These are just sprites representing species. It's like a sprite of dragon vs sprite of dwarf, both same size, I don't see the problem, but if you have some good arguments, I'll change what you need ;)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2010, 06:08:04 pm »

What exactly? These are just sprites representing species. It's like a sprite of dragon vs sprite of dwarf, both same size, I don't see the problem, but if you have some good arguments, I'll change what you need ;)

I really don't have strong arguements. It is more of a preference of mine that sprites have some sort of semblence of scale (not perfect scale) so you don't have Dwarves Dwarfing humans or Giants looking ordinary.

It is however difficult to do sprites that way so I don't really expect much to be done and nor should you.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:14:21 pm by Neonivek »

Pizdzius

• Bay Watcher
  • Piz, Engraver - Attending Ark Project
    • View Profile
    • My webcomic
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2010, 06:18:50 pm »

I really don't have strong arguements. It is more of a preference of mine that sprites have some sort of semblence of scale (not perfect scale) so you don't have Dwarves Dwarfing humans or Giants looking ordinary.

It is however difficult to do sprites that way so I don't really expect much to be done and nor should you.

Okay then, I think that making pygmy shark and bamboo/epaluette sharks smaller is enough ;)
These are just water animals and player even rarely spends time with them. I guess I'll pay more attention to this when I make land creatures

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2010, 06:22:38 pm »

Oh my god so many ducks.. so many ducks.....

I'd wager that ducks http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User_talk:Lancensis/Birds#Anseriformes_.28screamers_and_waterfowl.29 are roughly complete, cataloging wise.

Oh, Lancensis, is it alright for me to be making up common names like Copper-Breasted and Black-tipped for all the Westerns and Europeans? I figure if there's a dispute we can just change them but it might be easier to do it as I go.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:26:03 pm by Thursday Postal »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2010, 06:36:21 pm »

You can't really do more than try to create a feeling of size by, for instance, showing the Giant hunched over, or a mouse surrounded by blank space. I guess if you feel you've got enough space, you could try drawing a creature with severe foreshortening. Or you could just draw the giant's foot taking up the entire tile.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2010, 07:23:49 pm »

Or there could be something on each subpage that refers the script to the higher level.

Ah, yeah, that'd probably be easier.

Let me see if I understand. An editor would go on the wiki and, for each creature, input the "start", "body", and "end" sections. A script would then come along and add the "pre" and "post" sections... but where? Would the script edit the wiki itself, or put the final raws somewhere else?

It would put them somewhere else -- the script is what turns the wiki pages into .txt raw files, so that we don't have to copy/paste each individual creature.  A creature's "pre" and "post" sections wouldn't actually exist on the wiki.

EDIT: Also, how do you want the "start", "end", and maybe "body" sections displayed in the table on the wiki? Each in its own column?

EDIT 2: In fact, why have a table at all? We could keep the look and feel of the page the same as it is now and just have the raws in the source code.

That's an extremely valid point.  As long as we can put the completion status in our current format (like putting a plus sign in front of the name for completed creatures, or something), and enclose each creature's raws in some kind of tag so the script can figure out where they end (whatever tag makes them invisible should suffice), that would be totally sufficient.

Anyway, got another PM from Toady:

Spoiler: Toady's reply (click to show/hide)

The upshot is that we can make the simplifications I mentioned earlier.  Each taxon gets a single optional variation (this can just be kept in the page source, too), and a creature's raws just need two sections, between which the script inserts the necessary templates (in the process of exporting the raws to text files).

Okay then, I think that making pygmy shark and bamboo/epaluette sharks smaller is enough ;)
These are just water animals and player even rarely spends time with them. I guess I'll pay more attention to this when I make land creatures

In my opinion, scale isn't much of a concern.  I mean, it's an inherent limitation of tile-based games, so you might as well make the most of it, as long as dragons look vaguely larger than beetles.

Also, those sharks look much better now.

Another another question (sorry if I ask too much!): Should I be worried about adding too many varieties? I know I could add more to gastropoda for example, but should I/we bring the amount of animals (if they exist of course) to the level of the hawks? There are a lot of beetles but there are also a lot of beetle families, but all hawks, OW vultures, and eagles go in one family.

More varieties is fine, as long as the differences are interesting.  A lot of mammal/lizard families have many representatives.  However, if a group is getting very big, like Accipitridae, that's a good sign that you need to further organize it (in this case, it should probably be organized by subfamily). 

Oh, Lancensis, is it alright for me to be making up common names like Copper-Breasted and Black-tipped for all the Westerns and Europeans? I figure if there's a dispute we can just change them but it might be easier to do it as I go.

I'm not sure which species you're talking about, but they need some pretty interesting differences to warrant just making up a name for them.  If it's just coloration, I'd generally say to just make them a single creature.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 07:33:19 pm by Footkerchief »

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2010, 07:55:22 pm »

More varieties is fine, as long as the differences are interesting.  A lot of mammal/lizard families have many representatives.  However, if a group is getting very big, like Accipitridae, that's a good sign that you need to further organize it (in this case, it should probably be organized by subfamily). 

I'm not sure which species you're talking about, but they need some pretty interesting differences to warrant just making up a name for them.  If it's just coloration, I'd generally say to just make them a single creature.

Yeah, I'll go back and sort them better. I really don't know how or where to cut it off... I'm probably just trying too hard, but what goes in and what stays out? Where should I draw the line? I mean, mammals are fairly different in looks, from elephants to whales, but birds all have the same sort of body. I guess I'm thinking from a genetic perspective, where two hawks will be as different as humans and gorillas but look very similar in comparison.

I'm also worried about the amount of rare, unique creatures in comparison with normal creatures. I guess the solution would be to increase the biomes and population ratio of "hawk" and lower "cassowary." Another problem is that there aren't standard genetic lines between hawks and eagles, like, there are many genuses of animals named hawks, many with animals named eagles, some named eagle-hawks, some named hawks and eagles. This is the case for many different groups of animals. It's a blend and if we want to draw lines and make distinct creatures that's okay. Is that what we're aiming for?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 23, 2010, 08:21:15 pm »

Yeah, I'll go back and sort them better. I really don't know how or where to cut it off... I'm probably just trying too hard, but what goes in and what stays out? Where should I draw the line? I mean, mammals are fairly different in looks, from elephants to whales, but birds all have the same sort of body. I guess I'm thinking from a genetic perspective, where two hawks will be as different as humans and gorillas but look very similar in comparison.

Drawing that line is tricky for me too, but I can try to provide some guidance.  Looking at these three creatures that you included separately:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_White-rumped_Vulture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White-backed_Vulture
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griffon_Vulture

I'm seeing little that distinguishes them from each other, aside from slightly different coloration, and their wiki pages mention how they're closely related, or were thought to be.  These factors would all push me toward lumping them into a single creature (maybe along with other vultures, too).

Another problem is that there aren't standard genetic lines between hawks and eagles, like, there are many genuses of animals named hawks, many with animals named eagles, some named eagle-hawks, some named hawks and eagles. This is the case for many different groups of animals. It's a blend and if we want to draw lines and make distinct creatures that's okay. Is that what we're aiming for?

Yeah, many colloquial names are inexact, but we're pretty much stuck with them.  There are tons of non-shark cartilaginous fish that are still referred to as sharks.  Don't get too hung up on the names -- if two creatures have significant differences (for birds this probably means more they need more than just slightly different plumage), they should be included separately, with names that are as accurate as possible (while still following the naming guidelines in the OP).

On the other hand, if you're on the fence about whether several creatures should get included individually, and they have troublesome individual names but a convenient group name, it would be sensible if that pushed you toward including them as a single creature.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 23, 2010, 08:25:33 pm »

Well, for right now I reverted the birds page and dumped all my stuff onto my dfwiki page. I'll go through and sort them by Subfamily or genus and stuff like that, and that will probably help out. I'll look though and see if I can condense a genus into a single representative, or something like that.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2010, 08:34:43 pm »

Well, for right now I reverted the birds page and dumped all my stuff onto my dfwiki page. I'll go through and sort them by Subfamily or genus and stuff like that, and that will probably help out. I'll look though and see if I can condense a genus into a single representative, or something like that.

Yeah, that's a good strategy too.  And don't feel like you have to have this down to a science in order to contribute -- we're all making a lot of guesses and snap judgments about what's worth including.  I ran into this a lot with sharks, particularly genus Carcharhinus, which is full of sharks that are very similar despite being very interesting individually.  In the end, I ended up googling all their names to try to figure out which ones were most noteworthy, and ended up including about 1/5 of them.

Keep in mind that someone can always go back later, if needed, to replace a generic creature (like a generic "vulture") with more specific representatives.  If you're uncertain, it's safest to just include a generic creature with a note like "May need more representatives," and it's still a useful contribution to the project.

Thanks to you and everyone else who's being careful and putting real thought into this.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 23, 2010, 09:16:29 pm »

Here's the new Accipitriformes http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User_talk:Lancensis/Birds#Accipitriformes_.28Hawks.2C_Vultures.2C_Eagles.29, Footkerchief. Is that more how it should be? I can't say I'm pleased paring down the list like that but I suppose that's how it'll have to be for now.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:38:27 pm by Thursday Postal »

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 23, 2010, 09:27:16 pm »

Hrm, this is cool.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 23, 2010, 09:39:31 pm »

Here's the new Accipitriformes http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User_talk:Lancensis/Birds#Accipitriformes_.28Hawks.2C_Vultures.2C_Eagles.29, Footkerchief. Is that more how it's should be? I can't say I'm pleased paring down the list like that but I suppose that's how it'll have to be for now.

Yeah, it probably didn't need to be pared down that much (especially the hawks).  Have you tried breaking it down by subfamily?  I think may help give you a better overall picture of how many representatives are needed.

edit: I went ahead and created subfamily sections below your list, although I didn't move anything into them yet.  Each of those subfamilies should have at least one representative, and the large subfamilies like Buteoninae should definitely have more.  Also, if you're including a creature as a representative of an entire group (like the "Hawk" in your current list), it's clearer if you link to that group rather than an individual species.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 09:47:08 pm by Footkerchief »

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 23, 2010, 09:46:55 pm »

Yeah, it probably didn't need to be pared down that much (especially the hawks).  Have you tried breaking it down by subfamily?  I think may help give you a better overall picture of how many representatives are needed.

Yeah, I did. I went through and tried to take at least one from each subfamily but it really just breaks down to coloration and location. Goshawks, Buzzards, Harriers, and Kites are all essentialy just Hawks. There's not a whole lot of variation.

edit: I see you've put up some more families to fill in. I'm beginning to think I'll never get the hang of this, augh.

This should work. It'll be easily expanded upon. I just need to organize better.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 10:05:03 pm by Thursday Postal »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 24