Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120740 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2010, 12:05:02 pm »

Everything here I can somewhat agree with, but the "Think of all the fake people you're killing" argument just comes across as stupid.
I think you should re-read it. It doesn't make sense in a lot of RPGs that could have a more ample gameplay instead of kill 10 people to level.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »

I don't see the point in the killing other people thing either. He gave a specific example of shooting down ships, and imagining that those ship had 100 people in them each....That just doesn't strike me as worrying, every war game out there has you kill a couple hundred of virtual people, CoD has you just massacring an airport full of defenseless Russians.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2010, 12:49:37 pm »

It's not worrying. Personally, I don't care about killing a few thousand people. I mean that in the game world, for quite a few characters, it doesn't make sense. I mentioned star trek, because killing 1000 people in a couple minutes doesn't make sense in the star trek universe for federation people. Even in DS9 with the war, they were more worried about stopping it and not given missions like "Go there and kill 10 ships."

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2010, 01:22:53 pm »

Wouldn't that be more poor story development?

My main concern regarding this is that the poll will be messed up  ::)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 30, 2010, 02:16:05 pm »

Partially yes, but also a generic (mmo)rpg flaw. Killing for experience and money. I don't mind that in games where that's the main theme, such as rogue-likes and dungeon crawls. But it appears in story-based rpgs, like most final fantasy, where really, that shouldn't be necessary. They're trying to increase the game's longevity by making you grind for levels. It's both annoying and doesn't make sense for a lot of the stories out there.

At least in fallout 3 it felt more natural, for example, as a byproduct of exploration and trying to get somewhere with your missions.

On the same topic, I hate how every enemy npc in these games are suicidal. I think more games should feature fleeing and then award you the same xp if you let the npc flee. When me and my friends GMed d&d, we did that a lot. We rewarded xp for defeat, not a kill. It also opened a lot of rp opportunities. I wish more computer rpgs would feature that.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2010, 02:24:24 pm »

On the same topic, I hate how every enemy npc in these games are suicidal. I think more games should feature fleeing and then award you the same xp if you let the npc flee. When me and my friends GMed d&d, we did that a lot. We rewarded xp for defeat, not a kill. It also opened a lot of rp opportunities. I wish more computer rpgs would feature that.
But if they ran away, you'd have to work harder to chase them down and shoot them in the back. And as we all know, then they don't count. :3
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2010, 08:41:32 pm »

But if they ran away, you'd have to work harder to chase them down and shoot them in the back. And as we all know, then they don't count. :3
You miss the point. :P

I like that idea of yours Soul.  Much more believable in an RP sense...  Pretty much annoyed me in a few games...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 30, 2010, 08:54:13 pm »

I think he is saying, that since it will count if they run away, it wont count if they don't run away, which means if you want to kill them, they wont give you exp.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 30, 2010, 09:40:58 pm »

I hate the colour brown in video games (They are supposed to be something I goof off with, so I appreciate interesting, eye catching stuff), and anything that takes itself way too seriously. If the game breaks the fourth wall, that's a big bonus.

Also, I appreciate somewhat decent AI, mostly since I typically play single-player. An AI that relies purely on strength of numbers or arms isn't interesting to fight against - I'd rather have a foe that allows me to experience several different tactics, without any particular branch being "gimped".

I'm looking forward to Just Cause 2 because the game seems to not take itself seriously at all, and it seems to have a variety of gameplay options, including explosions :P

I've been watching a Mercenaries 2 LP, and really that's a pretty ideal game for what I'm looking for, except for the massive bugs that it has... I mean literally, can you hate a game when it has a line that pretty much goes as follows - "Oh god! I'm dying here!... no blood though... stupid T rating!"

In contrast, Oblivion, in which your playstyle tends to be severely limited unless you like being overleveled and under-equipped, resulting in massacre at the hands of arbitrary bandits. It also takes itself really seriously, to the point of tediousness, and has... AI issues. Geometry issues, for one, along with really broken guard/quest interactions. (I was ambushed by a guy I sent to prison, and then had to kill him in self defence. I was labelled a murderer. So I reloaded, and instead got a guard to be my friend, let the guard kill him, still had the guard attack me, even when I hadn't even tapped the attack button, and then had to convince the guard to stop attacking me, even though I wasn't a criminal...)
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 30, 2010, 10:07:05 pm »

Oblivion's whole justice system was clunky, and often buggy. I had guards chasing me for my bounty of "0" for hours until I just killed a pile of them, then I felt better that they were chasing me for an actual crime and bounty.

I particularly hate AI that cheat. I mean things like the guys who can run and shoot sideways over their shoulders accurately enough to throw your own aim all over the screen in MW2 (giving you damage but making them practically invulnerable, as your aim is thrown when hit and you must stand still and aim down the sight to hit anything, but they can run and sling bullets like a bad movie), or in the old (God bless it!) Mario Kart '64, when any off-screen computer player drove at a randomized optimum speed and recovered from hits or obstacles nearly instantly (not the same rules players had to follow, let me remind you).

TL;DR, writer retarded;poor English: I hate when programmers are lazy, and instead of programming an actually challenging or intelligently-behaving AI they give the NPCs superpowers.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 30, 2010, 10:26:26 pm »

I think he is saying, that since it will count if they run away, it wont count if they don't run away, which means if you want to kill them, they wont give you exp.
No, and spoilered for explanation of the joke:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

@Architect: Most of that came from trying to implement AI without the cpu cycles to make one that could challenge the player when subject to the same rules. It's not just a matter of saving effort, it's making due with technical limitations. Now, I haven't played mw2, and there's no way in hell I will, but are you sure it's not just volume of fire there? The ai attempts to do that because it's stupid, and when it actually succeeds you take notice, while not even realizing it when it misses?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 30, 2010, 10:36:10 pm »

I understand the limitations with Mario Kart, and I have to recognize that it was better to create a challenging game than one in which the AI could never present a threat.

Modern Warfare 2's AI is notorious for its insane ESP abilities and lack of playing by the rules. No, it's not simply accuracy-by-volume; it's actually a matter of the computer running across open terrain 120 meters away from the player and 10 meters below while firing a few scattered shots over the shoulder at the player and hitting them, which flings the player's aim all over the place and bloodies the screen (making shooting the should-be-easy-target impossible). In order to be challenging, the MW2 AI almost always knows where you are, and will shoot when it has a line of fire on you even if that line of fire is through a totally opaque bush or wall of corrugated tin. It takes "irritating" frustration to a whole new level. I much prefer something like Halo's Legendary difficulty, where you simply ceased to be superman and things were naturally difficult.

I don't know why you would say there's no way in hell you would play MW2. Aside from the people who are too elite to play it because it's popular, I can't see why anyone would have any reason not to play such an enjoyable game. Unless you don't have access to multiplayer, in which case it is not worth more than a rental.

The reason it's so popular is that it's so damn good. I bought it because I had played it at a friend's, without knowing it was the most popular game of all time.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 30, 2010, 10:47:06 pm »

Yeah CoD's AI is garbage, your about to turn around a corner and then 5000 auto shotgun shells and a bazooka come flying around it.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 30, 2010, 10:49:55 pm »

Man, I still remember the one time I actually caught the computer cheating red-handed. It was in the Godfather, the police were chasing me, and I was determined to see how a crashed police car could recover so quickly from crashes.

What happened was me driving down a long stretch of road at blistering speed with the camera fixed on a police officer at my side trying to ram me with the suicidal zeal that is commonplace in most games. I get him to crash into a randomly parked car on the side of the road, and I quickly turned the camera to follow him to see what he would do. There I saw it, the policecar breaking all laws of physics by instantaneously recovering from the crash, reversing in benny hill fast motion back onto the road, then hitting mach 1 in order to get right back on my ass in a fraction of a second. It was stupendously retarded.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 30, 2010, 10:55:54 pm »

I think i'd prefer that more then the police that you can lose by driving really fast.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 66