Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120185 times)

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #270 on: February 24, 2010, 12:20:59 am »

As an infiltrator, I found the ending, including the ultra-collector harbinger guys easy. It took one or two headshots with the sniper to bring them down.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 24, 2010, 01:13:15 am »

My latest peeve with modern games: drivers.  New drivers that break old games.  The constant days-long hunts on the support fora to see if I'm not the only one with the problem, to find the magic version to downgrade to ... if that's even possible.  Trying to play Bioshock on Windows 7 on a quad-core i7 with a GTX260, and that machine should run it like it was pong, but thanks to nvidia's drivers, it constantly hitches and freezes.  Same story for Fallout 3 if I do something crazy like ever look at the sky.

The Way It's Meant To Be Played, My Ass.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 24, 2010, 09:17:00 am »

I found Mass Effect 2 short because, most of the game was going around gathering squad members I'd never use, like, and accidentally romance because I talk to everyone. That's right, I accidentally romanced everyone on my ship.

Even when I did get an interesting companion, they'd run out of things to say waaay before the end of the game.

Like that damn Garrus. Middle of some calibrating, yeah right. He maybe said two things to me in my entire space adventure. If they are going to make the entire game a recruitment drive you might want to make those you recruit actually have something to say, dammit.

Dammit, dammit.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 24, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »

My latest peeve with modern games: drivers.  New drivers that break old games.  The constant days-long hunts on the support fora to see if I'm not the only one with the problem, to find the magic version to downgrade to ... if that's even possible.  Trying to play Bioshock on Windows 7 on a quad-core i7 with a GTX260, and that machine should run it like it was pong, but thanks to nvidia's drivers, it constantly hitches and freezes.  Same story for Fallout 3 if I do something crazy like ever look at the sky.

The Way It's Meant To Be Played, My Ass.

Do those drivers affect games from Steam? Like X-com? Because i plan on getting that.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 24, 2010, 12:35:18 pm »

Course they do. But shouldn't affect x-com. It uses dosbox.

SkeleTony69

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 24, 2010, 08:14:53 pm »

I voted for "Dumbed down gameplay" and disagree with Muz on about every point he made.
I am specifically thinking of CRPGs here but when some major(or even indie) developer advertises and then releases their game as a new "RPG" and then it turns out to be like Zelda or Final Fantasy in the mechanics(re: character creation/development, combat, magic use etc.) I get pissed off! Pardon the political analogy here but it is a lot like Fox News claiming to be "Fair and balanced" and constantly 'reporting' on some supposed "Liberal Media Bias"(and no...I am NOT as 'Liberal' as you probably think right now).

I could not care less about graphics in gaming. Most of the games I play feature 2D tiled, top-down and non-animated graphic icons 'blinking' across the screen because these games TEND to have far superior gameplay over the modern games like Oblivion, Dragon Age etc. It is not that I am opposed to or disgusted by fancy modern graphics. it is just that a)The seem insignificant to me(like whether a hamburger you buy at a fast food restaurant comes in a colorful, glittery box or in a plain wrapper) and b)most of the games I have seen that were 'cutting edge' in terms of graphics were crappy in terms of gameplay.

I am not sure where this 'Indie gamers are elitist snobs' idea comes from but I suspect it comes from console gamers who think graphics are of utmost importance and 'don't mind dumbed down games' visiting indie-dominated forums and reading many complaints about those very console games that such gamers enjoy and feeling insulted, in the same way that ultra religious fundamentalists/Creationists visiting scientific/philosophical forums might come away feeling insulted and that all science advocates, humanists etc. think they are stupid.
In both cases I would say the feelings are rightfully so(keep in mind that in terms of gamers I am talking about a very specific type of console gamer and not ALL console gamers).

*Dons flame-retardant suit*

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2010, 11:25:36 am »

I personally think that "graphics are never important" is just as naive a viewpoint as "graphics are always important". Games are often, in part, a work of visual art, and artistic design/style is extremely important for a lot of them, including indie games.

Of course, there's a difference between "graphics" and "poly count"/"how many post-processing filters you're using". Advanced tools are just those, tools, and having extremely technically-advanced graphics doesn't mean squat if there's no reason for it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2010, 11:59:08 am »

I couldn't agree more. Sometimes there are games with ridiculously high-tech implements in their engines, but that don't manage to use those implements to nearly as good an effect as some older games used software rendering. YMMV, but I thought X3's graphics engine was horrendously unoptimised, and the old Independence War 2: Edge of Chaos neatly beat it in terms of visual style, even though it ran on DX7. Sometimes it's better to just focus on design and style, and divert processing power to gameplay complexity rather than graphics.

Then again, there are games that manage to stupefyingly misuse ridiculously awesome game design ideas. I won't reach too far back and just set Spore as an example. That was just about the industry's biggest Missed Moment Of Awesome ever. The Movies can count as a close second. Was it really that hard to just let players do whatever they wanted instead of just using fixed scenes?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2010, 01:05:12 pm »

Ladies and gentledorfs, I present you the future of videogames:

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2010, 02:22:01 pm »

We'll use it to play Pong 3000, no doubt.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 25, 2010, 02:23:27 pm »

I personally think that "graphics are never important" is just as naive a viewpoint as "graphics are always important". Games are often, in part, a work of visual art, and artistic design/style is extremely important for a lot of them, including indie games.

Of course, there's a difference between "graphics" and "poly count"/"how many post-processing filters you're using". Advanced tools are just those, tools, and having extremely technically-advanced graphics doesn't mean squat if there's no reason for it.

Right.  All text adventures inherently suck.  ::)
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 25, 2010, 02:53:21 pm »

How is that at all inferable from what he said?  Aesthetics are important for a lot of games, so text adventures suck?

They're really more of an interactive book than a game.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2010, 03:06:33 pm »

How is that at all inferable from what he said?  Aesthetics are important for a lot of games, so text adventures suck?

They're really more of an interactive book than a game.

He basically said games are visual and need graphics.  Therefore using his logic all IF and text adventure games are worthless or even not games.  Graphics really aren't important at all.  You can have a good game that doesn't have any graphics.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2010, 03:09:15 pm »

Lol no he didn't, nice strawman though :P

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 25, 2010, 03:18:25 pm »

Well what did he say then?

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 66