Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120711 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #285 on: February 25, 2010, 03:20:09 pm »

He said artistic/visual design is extremely important for a lot of games.

A lot.

As in, many, but not all.
Shoes...

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 25, 2010, 03:28:28 pm »

Well what did he say then?
I personally think that "graphics are never important" is just as naive a viewpoint as "graphics are always important". Games are often, in part, a work of visual art, and artistic design/style is extremely important for a lot of them, including indie games.

Of course, there's a difference between "graphics" and "poly count"/"how many post-processing filters you're using". Advanced tools are just those, tools, and having extremely technically-advanced graphics doesn't mean squat if there's no reason for it.
The way I read that, it's "Games are *frequently* visual things, and doing the visuals in a way that's not retarded is itself usually pretty important for those."

Although really, you could extend that to interactive fiction too. I mean, imagine if it was setup so that all the text was red on blue or something*. That would be a pretty fucking terrible *visual* design choice, wouldn't it?

*Fuck, just looking at that hurts my eyes... :|
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 25, 2010, 03:30:14 pm »

I'd have to disagree.  Most modern games only go so far as "Would it be considered realistic by someone who knows nothing about it?"  Or "Is it popular?"  Or "Is it generic yet shiny enough for massive appeal?"  Art doesn't really factor into it most of the time.

Maybe it's important to us, but it's not important to the people making the games.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 25, 2010, 03:58:22 pm »

Art doesn't really factor into it most of the time.
:|

>:|

Games *are* art. The same way a song, or a movie, or a painting, or a chimpanzee throwing feces on a canvas are "art". Whether a given instance is actually worth a damn doesn't really factor into whether it's art or not.
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 25, 2010, 04:04:30 pm »

Art requires intent.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 25, 2010, 04:33:50 pm »

TF2, Bioshock, shadow of the collosus, boarderlands, god of war, darksiders, etc.

Off the top of my head those are some games where I know for a fact that the devs were very conscious of the art style they chose for their game.

Games are like movies, theyre collaborative. You have lots of people giving lots of different input. Alot of those people are artists and designers. Sure someetimes the games style and visuals are dictated by the technological limitations, but most major releases have entire divisions of people who are paid to come up with an artstyle for their game. Sometimes they fail, and the game looks crap, but that doesnt mean they dont care, or aren't trying.

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 26, 2010, 03:09:34 am »

Ladies and gentledorfs, I present you the future of videogames:

What's with that button thing?  That sort of thing is for "hardcore" gaming nerds.  Plus it looks like you'd need an opposable digit to use it, and I think you're really being old-fashioned in limiting your market like that.
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 26, 2010, 06:47:43 am »

TF2, Bioshock, shadow of the collosus, boarderlands, god of war, darksiders, etc.

Off the top of my head those are some games where I know for a fact that the devs were very conscious of the art style they chose for their game.

Games are like movies, theyre collaborative. You have lots of people giving lots of different input. Alot of those people are artists and designers. Sure someetimes the games style and visuals are dictated by the technological limitations, but most major releases have entire divisions of people who are paid to come up with an artstyle for their game. Sometimes they fail, and the game looks crap, but that doesnt mean they dont care, or aren't trying.

Games aren't really like movies.  There are a few vague similarities that people for some reason try to hold up as ideals of the medium, but that's part of the problem.  Games are not movies, they are games.  The thing that makes video games video games is gameplay, interactivity.  If you want a movie go watch a movie.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 26, 2010, 09:14:11 am »

Games aren't really like movies.  There are a few vague similarities that people for some reason try to hold up as ideals of the medium, but that's part of the problem.  Games are not movies, they are games.  The thing that makes video games video games is gameplay, interactivity.  If you want a movie go watch a movie.

"Press X to not die!!!"

Lol.  Some developers don't get it.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2010, 09:51:29 am »

I was pretty obvioulsy talking about how games are made, not how they are consumed. Games and movies are made in very much the same way, and alot of the problems with the game industry are mirrored in the movie industry.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 26, 2010, 11:32:18 am »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 26, 2010, 12:28:15 pm »

You've obviously not read or played enough ShadowRun.

One of the books has a character who was too hasty in the morning and forgot to use the RFID tag eraser on his breakfast cereal and because of it he botches a mission and dies (due to security seeing the RFID tag floating in his stomach in a place where there shouldn't have been an RFID tag).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 26, 2010, 12:30:16 pm »

Penny Arcade did the "baww thepro band me" comic way better.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 26, 2010, 02:08:50 pm »

You've obviously not read or played enough ShadowRun.
Saying that to a shadowrun fan is mean. :(

The novels were kind of meh, but it's the best table-top ever. <3
Penny Arcade did the "baww thepro band me" comic way better.
Well, if only I liked Penny Arcade...  :P

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 26, 2010, 02:10:20 pm »

But you like 8^U ?
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 66