Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120694 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #360 on: February 28, 2010, 07:08:36 pm »

The first and second GTA's aren't even similar to the current GTA's in any way.

Plus, it's unusual to list GTA 1 as a 'clone', since I don't think it's possible to copy yourself.

That's not true.  In every GTA game you play a criminal in a large mostly open environment with lots of cars you can steal, people you can kill, gangs you can piss off, and cops who can chase you.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: February 28, 2010, 07:13:26 pm »

Ah I see, so Modern Warfare 2 is a doom clone?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2010, 07:15:21 pm »

Plus, it's unusual to list GTA 1 as a 'clone', since I don't think it's possible to copy yourself.

That's not true.  In every GTA game you play a criminal in a large mostly open environment with lots of cars you can steal, people you can kill, gangs you can piss off, and cops who can chase you.

Oh no! They stuck with a working formula and made it better. Oh, lets add this to the list of things that piss people off. I mean, its obviously a bad thing to stick with whats fun.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: February 28, 2010, 07:31:52 pm »

Am I the only person who absolutely hated GTA4? They changed the focus of the game from being essentially "do what ever is fun" in san andreas, to mundane realism in 4.

San Andreas you could go play arcade games, get a jetpack, etc, loads of fun little things to do.

GTA4 had better graphics, and the pain in the ass relationship system (no i dont want to go bowling and hear you repeat the same dialogue from the last 24 times we went ¬_¬), but lacked most of what made the GTA series fun.

Siquo seems to be talking about sandbox style games as cthulhu said, which is the only common factor between all those games he listed. I guess if you dont like sandbox games then you just arent going to like them no matter what, but i much prefer being able to make my own fun in a game than just following a rail-road.

Also why are you singling out the spiderman with venom in it, siquo? They're all pretty much the same exact game? :S Do you have some irrational hatred of venom?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: February 28, 2010, 11:21:59 pm »

Oh no! They stuck with a working formula and made it better. Oh, lets add this to the list of things that piss people off. I mean, its obviously a bad thing to stick with whats fun.

Either you're being sarcastic for no apparent reason or I have to ask you why on earth you would think this is a good idea. ???

Fenrif, you are also wrong.  Most Spiderman games were not really free roaming sand box style games.  Just Spiderman 2 for PS2 and a couple other recent ones.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 11:23:57 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 01, 2010, 12:50:40 am »

Well yeah, all the modern ones.

Spiderman 2, 3, web of shadows, ultimate, friend or foe... Most of the spiderman games made in the past decade. I kinda assumed he wasnt talking about SNES/genesis games. :P

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 01, 2010, 01:02:34 am »

Well yeah, all the modern ones.

Spiderman 2, 3, web of shadows, ultimate, friend or foe... Most of the spiderman games made in the past decade. I kinda assumed he wasnt talking about SNES/genesis games. :P

Or all the PS1 games...  Or the game based on the first movie.  And actually I'm pretty sure friend or foe wasn't sand boxie from what I've read about it.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #367 on: March 01, 2010, 01:41:08 am »

Ha as if all those games could be clones. No the problem is that game producers have found a formula for making games that currently looks like an endless deposit of Adamantium and are not considering that hey there may be "Clowns" further on.

Oh and as a note I "had" starcraft before I owned it and the only reason that I did buy it was because I wanted to show my support for it. Honestly when it comes to the pirating of software as long as it cost something to buy people will find a way to get it for free, it happens with everything in the end. The only games that are not pirated are the ones no one wants.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: March 01, 2010, 03:41:35 am »

Maybe clone wasn't the right word. "Formula" is a better one. Quasi-free-roaming, with themed sidemissions (such as: there are 4 types of side missions, spread randomly across the map), that usually make no sense within the greater story. And of course, blowing up buildings and people (saboteur, red faction) is VASTLY different than stealing cars and killing people (far cry, saboteur, gta, red faction), or running and killing people (all of them), or climbing and killing people (saboteur, prototype, assassins creed, spiderman).

So let's say it's a genre, like RTS or FPS. What is the name of this formulaic dumb genre so I know to avoid it next time?

Btw, I love Spiderman, and Venom (just... not the new one. I want the old one back. The buff guy, not that teensyweensy effing emo Eddie Brock), and the specific name of the specific game (only spidey game I ever played) does not come to mind, but it was a quite recent quasi-free-roamer with nonsense sidemissions such as "races". There were fun ones such as "save the citizen about to fall off a ledge" but after a few times that exact same mission it gets a bit boring.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 01, 2010, 03:53:17 am »

Ok, so if I understand it right, what you're saying is that you don't like any action game that isn't tightly linear.  Is that about right?  What about large scale multiplayer games with vehicles?

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: March 01, 2010, 04:00:36 am »

How Hard Is It To Understand?!

Quasi-free-roaming, so it's still linear. Nonsensical side-quests. It's all just filler for storyless crap to last longer. I kind of like action games, FPS's first and foremost, but why does every new game have to have this bland GTA-sauce dumped over it until it tastes nothing like the promise it could have been?

And what LGMWV are you talking about? Planetside? BF?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 01, 2010, 04:37:45 am »

How Hard Is It To Understand?!

Quasi-free-roaming, so it's still linear. Nonsensical side-quests. It's all just filler for storyless crap to last longer. I kind of like action games, FPS's first and foremost, but why does every new game have to have this bland GTA-sauce dumped over it until it tastes nothing like the promise it could have been?

And what LGMWV are you talking about? Planetside? BF?

Planetside and BF pretty much match your descriptions perfectly.  They're large scale action games with open worlds where you fight things.  Those are about the only things each of the games you mentioned share.  Honesly I can't understand what you're talking about saying that the all the side quests.  I've found most of them I've played to actually be fun.  And you know what the great thing about optional side quests are?  They're optional!  If all you care about is the story and not even the gameplay, then just play through the main story and ignore the side missions.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 01, 2010, 04:53:22 am »

Nope, you usually need some sidequests to "level up" or something, without which the main quest becomes much harder. Planetside and BF have no "quests", and the multiplayer aspect make them completely different games.

Look, you obviously like the genre, I think it's dumb and bland and kills otherwise promising games. Discussing tastes like that is hardly constructive.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 01, 2010, 05:15:56 am »

Nope, you usually need some sidequests to "level up" or something, without which the main quest becomes much harder. Planetside and BF have no "quests", and the multiplayer aspect make them completely different games.

Look, you obviously like the genre, I think it's dumb and bland and kills otherwise promising games. Discussing tastes like that is hardly constructive.

Well, I can't understand what your problem is.  Do you just hate anything that doesn't directly progress the main storyline?  Also, your assertion that you have to complete the optional side quests is just flat out wrong in most cases.  Sure Ass Creed made you do a few of them and is also called annoyingly repetitive, and Far Cry 2 was just crappy in general, Red Faction Guerrilla had several side missions that usually tied in to the man story in some way and were all set in different area with different strategies required to beat them,  but none of the GTAs ever do (except 4 apparently) and really, they're a lot of fun most of the time and I don't understand why you can't enjoy them.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 01, 2010, 05:21:23 am »

Some people are completionists, and some people have an attitude of just getting the game over with. These people are generally bugged by sandbox games or games with lots of options.

It's simply an obstinate difference in tastes in some cases. You can't really get anywhere by debate with someone who fundamentally can't enjoy the genre.

That said, some of these games are repetitive, and do break your immersion in the story with their nonsensical sidequests.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 66