Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120710 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #390 on: March 04, 2010, 09:10:24 am »

Anyone ever play Warlords?

(This is not shameless self-advertisement, just an old game that doesn't do any of the things new games do that piss us off -focus on graphics over gameplay, have bad loading screens, or imitate other games.)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 04, 2010, 10:21:21 am »

Supcom 2 has been looking really disappointing. I'll be really pissed off if it is what it looks like.

Fewer nukes and more deadly.  A friend of mine already has a strategy that is essentially unbeatable.

Well.  It's a zerg rush in a game where there really isn't a counter-zerg early game unit.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 04, 2010, 10:24:47 am »

Supcom 2 has been looking really disappointing. I'll be really pissed off if it is what it looks like.

Fewer nukes and more deadly.  A friend of mine already has a strategy that is essentially unbeatable.

Well.  It's a zerg rush in a game where there really isn't a counter-zerg early game unit.
Not even the tech 1 turrets?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 04, 2010, 01:00:32 pm »

Not even the tech 1 turrets?

Teleporting units teleport around them.

Or I should say, high hitpoint, anti-air, strong v. ground, teleporting units.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 05, 2010, 12:35:28 pm »

Alas, news from the amazing world of piracy.

Ass Creed 2 was cracked and released today. 4 days before a steam release.

Fancy DRM can't stop these people. Fancy DRM doesn't allow offline gameplay either.

On the opposite spectrum, I thought the Just Cause 2 people took a step forward against piracy by releasing a demo that is actually worth the time it takes to download it. I still haven't played it, so I cannot give full input, but from the description of the -demo- it sounds almost like a full game on itself, without the main storyline, of course, but with all the free roaming goodness.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 05, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »

I, too, miss the old days when all games were amazing and we had anywhere from 9001+ great releases per year.

Ahh, the good old days. Games like ET, and Bible Adventures. /nostalgia

No, seriously. Everybody always thinks that the great days of a certain product are over. It's the same with movies, books, and music as well. It's just that it is very hard for us to be able to look back on the past and think of anything but the great experiences. After all, why, except for humour's sake, would we go to abandonia and load up something that sucked?
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 05, 2010, 12:53:37 pm »

Nice try with sarcasm. But quoting movie/stupid games doesn't really help.

There are a whole lot of old games I play instead of modern ones. X-com, Daggerfall, Orion Burger (And maaaaany other adventure games (flight of the amazon queen, beneath a steel sky, mostly all indiana and all monkey island games), some of which I still haven't finished, they are great to replay after a few years), Darklands, Hardnova, Iron seed, Master of Magic, Reunion, stronghold, jagged alliance, and so on and on.

I never said there aren't good modern games, but the trend they are following sucks.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 05, 2010, 12:55:42 pm »

But you never go back and play games that suck, or games that are cheap rip-offs of the games you listed. Back in that day, however, those games were all over the place, and it was just as hard to find the gems as it is today.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 05, 2010, 01:11:37 pm »

Alas, news from the amazing world of piracy.

Ass Creed 2 was cracked and released today. 4 days before a steam release.

Fancy DRM can't stop these people. Fancy DRM doesn't allow offline gameplay either.
Didn't they boast about it taking at least a week before getting cracked?  The crucial time for sales.
Adding a DRM like that gives people with weak/no justification something to stand by.  Fodder that they will eat up ravenously.  Hell, it makes it easier for those people to convince others who are on the fence, blank slates that have yet to be colored or too little of it... on the subject.

And then outright saying that it won't be cracked fast enough is like slapping the cracking community and challengbegging them to crack it.

*Insert oft repeated justifications here from both sides*  Its just going to get pirated.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 05, 2010, 01:15:05 pm »

But you never go back and play games that suck, or games that are cheap rip-offs of the games you listed. Back in that day, however, those games were all over the place, and it was just as hard to find the gems as it is today.
Well, yes. Mostly because it costs one eye and a half to make a next-gen game today. And everyone wants super duper pretty graphics.

Didn't they boast about it taking at least a week before getting cracked?  The crucial time for sales.
They also made the mistake of releasing a game that wasn't so huge on sales (Silent Hunter 5) with the same DRM scheme. It took them a day to crack it. Assassin's Creed 2 was cracked and released -before- official release.

That's how they slap DRM people on the face.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 05, 2010, 01:28:55 pm »

Well, yes. Mostly because it costs one eye and a half to make a next-gen game today. And everyone wants super duper pretty graphics.
If only they realize that it doesn't have to be so shiny....  It probably comes with the sell it to everyone mentality that permeates most of the game industry these days.
Isn't that whats happening with Activision and Infinity Ward/CoD right now?

They also made the mistake of releasing a game that wasn't so huge on sales (Silent Hunter 5) with the same DRM scheme. It took them a day to crack it. Assassin's Creed 2 was cracked and released -before- official release.

That's how they slap DRM people on the face.

... They shot themselves in the knee-cap, twice.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 05, 2010, 01:34:05 pm »

If only they realize that it doesn't have to be so shiny....  It probably comes with the sell it to everyone mentality that permeates most of the game industry these days.

I know, man.  Video games are a secret club and they should only sell to the elite.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 05, 2010, 01:36:38 pm »

I saw a documentary about remixed music recently that made me think a lot about software piracy and copyright in general.  Not really perfect (obviously) but it brought up allot of interesting points. RiP: A Remix Manifesto

This made me think it all comes down to one thing.  The biggest problem with all of this, at least for me, is copyright.  Thanks to Disney company and the other media giants copyright laws have become monstrous.  All this obsession with intellectual property has gotten to the point where it's actually holding back the advance of human society, not just video games, not just entertainment media, not just media in general, but even science is affected.

I know, man.  Video games are a secret club and they should only sell to the elite.

I know man, appealing to a niche is so elitist and should never be done ever merely on principal!  Especially those who don't mind bad graphics.  Stupid DF and it's stupid elitist ASCII!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 01:43:57 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 05, 2010, 01:37:30 pm »

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/the-industry-tail-is-trying-to-wag-the-market-dog/

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 05, 2010, 01:50:36 pm »

Well, they could... you know... drop the graphics budget down a bit and put that elsewhere... maybe development time? 

Or at least to lower the budget overall... so they won't disappoint themselves as much when their sales don't get to where they want it...

@Ioric
Ah, Intellectual Property...   I haz patent on cancer strain.  You no can research cure, only me can.  Hay, that cancer strain look like mine!  Stop or I sue!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 66