Disagreeing, Fine
- 0 (0%)
Why you make a fuzz 'bout it?
- 3 (6.1%)
Lets just be happy
- 19 (38.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 66

Author Topic: My problem with modern games.  (Read 120655 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: My problem with modern games.
« Reply #660 on: May 30, 2010, 12:45:00 pm »

Unlike Final Fantasy Six, where the game mechanics were perfect and people didn't chatter about useless things all the time.

What you're displaying is distaste for the genre, and that is not a good excuse to say a company sucks for producing it. Would you kick down Disney's door for allowing Prince of Persia to exist as a film, and then burn the reel in a fire alongside Beauty and the Beast (you actually might, if you dislike Academy Award winning animations, but who am I to judge)?

What sort of genres do you guys prefer? It is possible you may be filling a niche market. For people who enjoy RPGs (not JRPGS), Dragon Age and Mass Effect 2 are great (I didn't like Mass Effect 1 because of the vehicle missions, my friends have told me good things about ME2, however). For people who enjoy a First Person Shooter, Battlefield Bad Company 2 is great (Destructible terrain is fapworthy). If you like skating games, Skate 3 is actually a great choice.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: May 30, 2010, 12:51:01 pm »

I think I may not have been clear with my last post. Those games are all EA games that I really enjoyed.

And yeah, complaining about ME or DA because they're like reading a book is a bit silly. Baldur's Gate had actual books to read in-game. That must make it a terrible game, right?

Also: I'm one of the few people who really quite enjoyed the vehicle bits of Mass Effect 1. :P

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: May 30, 2010, 01:11:31 pm »

Did you play it on the Xbox? I played it on the PC, and the vehicle mission was so awful to control that I just stopped.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: May 30, 2010, 01:16:34 pm »

Besides that, my problem with modern games is mainly that everybody seems to disrespect the developers, including gamers, publishers, reviewers and the developers themselves. There's no glory in making games any more, unless you're an indie dev living off less then a minimum wage in donations and even then it's hit or miss.

Actually what goes on is that people disrespect the publishers.  I and several of my friends, will never ever buy an EA game again.  Never.  In fact none of us are going to pirate them either because the games aren't worth the time it takes to acquire.  Its not about the devs (Will Wright is amazing) but the publisher ruins the ideas.  "Oh that's too experimental, we don't want to risk a billion dollars trying that, take it out.  Yes, yes, it does look like fun, but we don't know what the consumer thinks about it.  Here, why don't you re-read out Manual Of Formulaic Success."

All the clamouring about big bad publishers ignores that at heart a game is what the developers thought would be the best they could make of it given their constraints. People always drop a fuckton of hate on a game for all the things that they think could've been better and chatter on about how much a game sucks while ignorign that it's a piece that 100 men worked on for months. If you don't like it, that's your choice and you're free to say it. But stop shouting everywhere how much it deserves to be burned in a blast furnance because the devs failed to meet your excuisit taste.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: May 30, 2010, 01:17:00 pm »

I didn't particularly dislike the vehicle bits but the ability to jump made them ridiculous, you could dodge any of the rockets or weird energy balls fired at you easily. It got made even more ridiculous in ME2 when you could fire homing rockets from far outside the enemies range in the vehicle bits.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: May 30, 2010, 01:25:01 pm »

I didn't particularly dislike the vehicle bits but the ability to jump made them ridiculous, you could dodge any of the rockets or weird energy balls fired at you easily. It got made even more ridiculous in ME2 when you could fire homing rockets from far outside the enemies range in the vehicle bits.
What vehicle bits in ME2?
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: May 30, 2010, 01:35:47 pm »

There was some DLC that introduced a hovercraft which you fly around in for some missions.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: May 30, 2010, 01:39:02 pm »

All the clamouring about big bad publishers ignores that at heart a game is what the developers thought would be the best they could make of it given their constraints. People always drop a fuckton of hate on a game for all the things that they think could've been better and chatter on about how much a game sucks while ignorign that it's a piece that 100 men worked on for months. If you don't like it, that's your choice and you're free to say it. But stop shouting everywhere how much it deserves to be burned in a blast furnance because the devs failed to meet your excuisit taste.

Without critisism the medium will never grow or evolve beyond what it is. It's a hugely important part of the artistic or creative process.

Not to mention that if someone is trying to sell me something, usually about 8 hours worth of entertainment for 40 quid, I feel completely justified pointing out what I dislike about it. Whats more I encourage others to do the same, it's how I know what to spend my money on.

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: May 30, 2010, 01:44:13 pm »

Without critisism the medium will never grow or evolve beyond what it is. It's a hugely important part of the artistic or creative process.

Not to mention that if someone is trying to sell me something, usually about 8 hours worth of entertainment for 40 quid, I feel completely justified pointing out what I dislike about it. Whats more I encourage others to do the same, it's how I know what to spend my money on.

Buy GMod. 10 bucks (if you have a Source game, if not then buy the Orange Box) gets you literally YEARS of entertainment. Seriously, there's an achievement for spending an entire 365*24*60 minutes in-game.
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: May 30, 2010, 01:47:27 pm »

And that's you're good right. What I'm saying is that such posts are usualy oozing with disrespect and undiluted RAEG to a degree that's usualy uncalled for. Saying that Dragon Age was not fun to play is fine by me (havn't played it yet, but I'm sure I'd probably agree). Problem is that even decent games like Dragon Age get shelled with words that should realy be reserved for Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

But criticism wasn't the only thing I was pointing at. People tend to forget that games are things people have worked on. Someone is charging you 40 bucks for the game because they worked long and hard on it. If you don't want it, you can of course not buy it. But most people will instead insist that it's an insult to all that is holy to charge a reasonable amount of money for a game they don't like. You're free to say it's to expensive, but for His Noodly Appendage stop getting so worked up about a simple game everybody. If you don't like it there's no need to swear all the heavens togheter.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: May 30, 2010, 01:59:03 pm »

Buy GMod. 10 bucks (if you have a Source game, if not then buy the Orange Box) gets you literally YEARS of entertainment. Seriously, there's an achievement for spending an entire 365*24*60 minutes in-game.

GMod is a sandbox that had an illegitimate child with LUA.  It's not actually a game.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: May 30, 2010, 02:02:14 pm »

And that's you're good right. What I'm saying is that such posts are usualy oozing with disrespect and undiluted RAEG to a degree that's usualy uncalled for. Saying that Dragon Age was not fun to play is fine by me (havn't played it yet, but I'm sure I'd probably agree). Problem is that even decent games like Dragon Age get shelled with words that should realy be reserved for Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.

But criticism wasn't the only thing I was pointing at. People tend to forget that games are things people have worked on. Someone is charging you 40 bucks for the game because they worked long and hard on it. If you don't want it, you can of course not buy it. But most people will instead insist that it's an insult to all that is holy to charge a reasonable amount of money for a game they don't like. You're free to say it's to expensive, but for His Noodly Appendage stop getting so worked up about a simple game everybody. If you don't like it there's no need to swear all the heavens togheter.

I think it's perfectly understandable for someone to get pissed off about a crap game. Most games don't have demos (or if they do they aren't representative of the entire game) and review sites are skewed towards higher scores usually for big name games. If you throw away 40 quid on a game that turns out to be utter crap, why not get angry?

Just because a group of people worked hard on it doesn't mean it deserves respect or to be treated with kid gloves. Especially since it's mostly all a matter of taste. One mans big rigs is another mans dragon age, and vice versa. Remember: a team of guys worked hard on big rigs too, they just aren't as talanted as the bioware guys. Why is it ok to mock or insult one but not the other?

I've had Gmod for years. :P It's a great game, but I got burned out on it a while ago. Might have to load it up and see what new gamemodes are around nowadays.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: May 30, 2010, 02:09:46 pm »

One man's Big Rigs can't be another man's Dragon Age, unless they found the cheat code that causes the developers to learn how to code and spend more than an hour working on it.

Have you seen or played Big Rigs? It's labeled as one of the worst games ever for a reason. Nobody worked hard on it.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 30, 2010, 02:15:29 pm »

Just because a group of people worked hard on it doesn't mean it deserves respect or to be treated with kid gloves. Especially since it's mostly all a matter of taste. One mans big rigs is another mans dragon age, and vice versa. Remember: a team of guys worked hard on big rigs too, they just aren't as talanted as the bioware guys. Why is it ok to mock or insult one but not the other?

Because Dragon Age was a pretty decent game where the developers made a set of choices you don't subscribe too, while Big Rigs is a game where the developers most clearly didn't do anything right, including the things they set out to do.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 30, 2010, 02:39:09 pm »

Yeah I know what big rigs is, and I know how terrible a game it is, but the point I'm making is that it's kind of hypocritical to slam one game, but then say it's not cool to slam others because people worked on them. Yeah big rigs probobly had a lot more to do with half-assedness than lack of skill, but there are plenty of triple A big studio titles that have more than their share of half-assedness too.

Many games set out to do things and don't get any of them right. Look at Alpha protocol for a recent one. Hundreds of guys probobly worked really hard on it, poured their heart and souls into it, and it's a terrible game. Even good games like Red Dead Redemption can be riddled with bugs and glitches, some of them gamebreakers, is it not ok to rip on them for it?

Also: don't misconstrue me, I love dragon age, I was just using it as an example. :P
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 66