Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 987

Author Topic: Bay12 Photo Share! Let's share photos and cool things.  (Read 1590557 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Photo Share! Hi from the land of gender-ambiguity!
« Reply #7320 on: June 25, 2013, 02:39:14 am »

The metal in that chasis is over 1mm thick! It's very rugged and durable.  It is fully ATX compliant, (and has lug provisions for several oddball formfactors seen only in the server world!) and has more drive bays than you can shake a stick at. It's a full height tower chasis. Those arent cheap these days, and most I have priced arent nearly as ruggedly built. It has a Rosewill 800W supply inside it at the moment.

So it's 1990s beige and not post millenium black-- I dont care. it works just fine. Even better now that it has some sexy thermaltake 12in intake fans!

I also replaced the CPU cooler with a superior aftermarket cooler, and replaced the thermal goop with arctic silver 5.  About the only way this case can run cooler now, would be to mod it for liquid cooling.  Not ready for that just yet, thankfully.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7321 on: June 25, 2013, 03:01:54 am »

Thermaltake are superb for cooling.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7322 on: June 25, 2013, 04:17:08 am »

You know, you probably want to also put a fan hole directly opposite from the CPU fan.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7323 on: June 25, 2013, 04:38:51 am »

That is a pretty impressive case. I remember when I used to have time for that stuff... Now I just have a Scythe Mugen in a non-optimised box, and it doesn't crash on me, that suits me fine :) I'm sure I could push this thing quite a bit more, but aint nobody got time for that.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7324 on: June 25, 2013, 11:31:10 am »

You know, you probably want to also put a fan hole directly opposite from the CPU fan.

Exact cpu placement varies from board to board, but the expansion slot area remains constant. This means that in 3 to 5 years when it is upgrade time again the hole for the CPU might no longer match up.

Also, the aftermarket cooler I slapped in there has the fan mounted 90 degrees to the chip surface; mounted to the side and not the top of the heatsink.  I installed it with the fan sucking air from the expansion port area, and exhausting toward the top of the chasis, where the exhaust fans can shove it out. Cutting another intake hole for the cpu seems kinda foolish at the moment. When the chips on the market get hot enough to boil water at idle speeds, I'll definately look into better cooling though. Probably have to switch to liquid cooling at that point.

I want to avoid cutting too many holes in the chasis. It's like michael jackson. One nosejob was probably fine, but he didn't know when to stop. :D

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7325 on: June 25, 2013, 04:16:56 pm »

One of these days someone's going to make a computer case entirely out of a wire mesh and then the problem of fan holes will be naught.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7326 on: June 26, 2013, 01:53:47 am »

Pfft. Just stick the innards of your computer in the barfridge under your desk. Problem solved.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7327 on: June 26, 2013, 03:38:35 am »

I personally strap all my components to the underchassis of a snowmobile and only use my computer during long trips searching for polar bears to bother.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7328 on: June 26, 2013, 03:46:48 am »

One of these days someone's going to make a computer case entirely out of a wire mesh and then the problem of fan holes will be naught.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the case I have

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7329 on: June 26, 2013, 07:46:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is the case I have
The one I found on the internet:

Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7330 on: June 26, 2013, 09:09:38 am »

I stand corrected then. Someone already has.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7331 on: June 26, 2013, 12:45:03 pm »

Hullo folks. Just sharing some pictures of my misshapen mug. :I

Spoiler: Me, as I usually am (click to show/hide)

Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Nospherat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dorfity dorf dorf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7332 on: June 26, 2013, 02:32:18 pm »

Ho-hum. It's either a Dutch a Civil AGM, probably made around 1935-1940. Or a French military ANP M51 from the 1950's.

Fairly good condition too.
Hang on to it, could be worth a bit for a collector, especially if you still have its cloth bag. Can you show me a pic if you still have it? That would solve the enigma.

Although judging from the filter, might be a Belgian M51. Then it came into a metal cylinder box, not a canvas bag.

And also don't breathe through the filter. They may have used asbestos for filtering purposes back then. Some manufacturers did, especially for the civilian worker masks.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 02:52:42 pm by Nospherat »

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7333 on: June 26, 2013, 03:17:05 pm »

Ho-hum. It's either a Dutch a Civil AGM, probably made around 1935-1940. Or a French military ANP M51 from the 1950's.

Fairly good condition too.
Hang on to it, could be worth a bit for a collector, especially if you still have its cloth bag. Can you show me a pic if you still have it? That would solve the enigma.

Although judging from the filter, might be a Belgian M51. Then it came into a metal cylinder box, not a canvas bag.

And also don't breathe through the filter. They may have used asbestos for filtering purposes back then. Some manufacturers did, especially for the civilian worker masks.
Huh, interesting. Don't have the bag/case for it, unfortunately.
Oh, and after a quick look over of it, yeah, it seems to be an M51.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7334 on: June 26, 2013, 05:19:52 pm »

Apparently there was a company that made cigarette filters out of asbestos, a while back, or so I learnt on my asbestos awareness course.

How's about that for a double whammy.

E: http://www.oracleasbestos.com/asbestos-cigarettes/

Awesome. Good work guys.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 05:24:03 pm by mendonca »
Pages: 1 ... 487 488 [489] 490 491 ... 987