Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How did that thing do that...?  (Read 4493 times)

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How did that thing do that...?
« on: February 19, 2010, 05:15:24 pm »

I started a new person on Adventurer Mode, an axedwarf. I was fairly successful in the beginning, I'd killed 2 named monsters (both cougars) and a bunch of wolves. Then I met a Giant Desert Scorpion. I got my weapon stuck in it, failed to pull it out, and it then took my shield from me and beat me to death with it. It wasn't just holding my shield, it was full on wielding it, using it to block my feeble desperate bunches. When I was dead the last thing I saw was it pulling my weapon out of itself. I wasn't aware that a fucking scorpion could effectively use a shield.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: How did that thing do that...?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 05:16:29 pm »

Wait, how does a scorpion grasp something? With its mouth?
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 05:17:30 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was using its pincers.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 05:20:37 pm »

I had a giant bat stab me to death with my own sword ... I've since learned to love the experience, and have named the tale, the tale of the Batsword.

Shieldscorpion has a nice ring to it, ya?   ;D
Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 05:24:49 pm »

I suppose. I'm tempted to make a new adventurer and go to that area to see if I can find the scorpion and see if he still has my shield...

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 06:55:55 pm »

Huh. I'm gonna have to experiment with scorpions and shields now.
Hell, I wonder what kinda points I get for getting beaten to death by a scorpion wielding a thong. O.o
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2010, 01:29:22 am »

Pincer raws:
Code: [Select]
[BODY:UPPERBODY_PINCERS]
[BP:R_UB_PINCER:right pincer][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][GRASP][RIGHT]
[BP:L_UB_PINCER:left pincer][CONTYPE:UPPERBODY][GRASP][LEFT]
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2010, 03:10:57 pm »

If it grabs it it uses it.  The scorpion will still be around, and it'll still have your shield, but it'll probably move to a cave.
Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2010, 04:53:01 pm »

There should probably be some code to prevent animals from holding onto most anything that isn't food, to say nothing of wielding items effectively.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 06:47:50 pm »

You need more wrestling.  Sword off some wolfs leg or something, wait a while for it to get some more blood, then wrestle it endlessly. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 10:57:13 pm »

I don't know how many times I've seen horses pull arrows out of themselves during their various rampages. In fact, I once had a fortress collapse into a tantrum spiral (I just abandoned after the fun) and then, when I went back I found a horse wielding an artifact pick that one of my legendary miners had been using. I'm not sure how or why, but the best I can guess is that the horse was from a caravan or something so it didn't die when the fortress ended. How exactly it got hold of the pick I don't know but shortly after I found it it used the pick to bludgeon a random dwarf that was just standing around.

All in all, very odd.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2010, 12:10:04 am »

'Nrrhrhrrhrr!'
"What? What IS that noise? It kinda sounds like a horse, only... Muffled, somehow."
*clop clop clop*
"It's holding a pick in it's mouth. Okay, that's pretty wierd... Here, horsey! Horsey? Oh god, it's eyes! It's gone bezerkARRRRGH!"
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2010, 07:41:32 am »

a GDS followed a migrant wave to my fort once. one of the immigrants was a wrestler and yeah he died pretty fast.

When my military engaged it, it was wielding a dwarven chunk. No wonder it didn't even scratch my boys!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 12:54:04 pm »

I've had a GDS take my iron gauntlet before. I managed to kill it by using hit and run tactics. Cheap but effective, pick up stone, throw, run, repeat. After I finally killed it with repeated small-rock-throwing I got my iron gauntlet back.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:38:39 pm »

I don't know how many times I've seen horses pull arrows out of themselves during their various rampages. In fact, I once had a fortress collapse into a tantrum spiral (I just abandoned after the fun) and then, when I went back I found a horse wielding an artifact pick that one of my legendary miners had been using. I'm not sure how or why, but the best I can guess is that the horse was from a caravan or something so it didn't die when the fortress ended. How exactly it got hold of the pick I don't know but shortly after I found it it used the pick to bludgeon a random dwarf that was just standing around.

All in all, very odd.
Did you do some wacky modding? Because the horse doesn't have a [GRASP] token on any of its bodyparts. It does have a [MOUTH] token on, unsurprisingly, the mouth which might be a [GRASP]-if-there's-no-[GRASP] tag.
Pages: [1] 2