Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starcraft UMS AI  (Read 4981 times)

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starcraft UMS AI
« on: March 08, 2010, 04:29:41 pm »

Ok, so just a quick question. I was playing starcraft with some friends (bringing out the old one in anticipation of the new one) and we were trying to play on a team against computers as a warmup... but we couldn't get our bases all together. We tried all of the different game modes and none worked. Eventually we just went with it and struggled through.

Tonight we've got a newbie playing and I'd REALLY like to be able to get our bases together so we can protect her. I think the map has to be a Use Map Settings map and I'm good enough with the map editor to make the map itself, but I wasn't sure if there is a default AI setting that's used in the non-UMS maps that I should choose for the computer opponents. I tried googling and discovered rather quickly that starcraft 2 has dominated google. I managed to get basic info (use "Run AI script at location" rather than just "Run AI script") but couldn't find WHICH AI script to use. I'd google harder but I'm at work and don't have the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  :)
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Synzig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft UMS AI
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 05:28:23 pm »

Just play a 4v4 Fastest Map in melee or TvB.  Both of those modes allow AI that ally and the Fastest (or Island) maps have grouped starts.

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 05:58:59 pm »

Fastest maps suck the fun out of starcraft. It becomes STARPROTON CANNONS, PROTON CANNON WARS.

However, I haven't dicked around with the SC map editor in some time, but I think you can assign an area over the enemy base and set it to run a "Zerg/Terran/Toss base X diffictulty"

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:25:01 pm »

We tried top vs bottom mode, even on maps specifically designed for team play, and it still didn't group us. It just automatically set up the diplomacy settings. I found what you were talking about Urist and I'm trying to figure out which difficulty's the one used in normal custom maps... I think it might be "difficult" but we'll see.

Edit: Turns out there's a "Zerg/Terran/Protoss Custom Level" script that works like the custom maps. Whodathunk? I must have missed it going through the list earlier. The "insane" difficulty looks like it might work well too, but I didn't really watch it for that long, just long enough to know that it was starting out functionally.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 06:35:06 pm by Bluerobin427 »
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:52 pm »

It's many years since i played around with that. But i remember that the hardest setting you can use in USM is harder than skirmish, to mine and my friend's delight. 5 insane zerg vs the two of us for great fun.

Make a strategic map position and give both teams infinite resources and enjoy the onslaught

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 07:48:40 pm »

I have a 5-human vs 3-Zerg map that I made a long time ago that uses a bunch of the scripting capabilities of the map maker. It's surprisingly tough, at least until you get used to the specific scripted events.

I'll see if I can dig it up and check to see what I did to get the AI script in place.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 07:53:21 pm »

I think all maps have a set place where each color spawns, and in the lobby each place represents a specific color. I know the top slot is red, but the others I have forgotten. Just look at the map in the editor, find the places you want and find which slots in the lobby correspond to it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 07:57:17 pm »

Red
Blue
Teal
Purple
Brown/Orange
Brown/Orange
White/Yellow
White/Yellow

Forgot the order of the last two pairs, green may replace one of the others on sand maps.
Eh?
Eh!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 08:00:16 pm »

I think all maps have a set place where each color spawns, and in the lobby each place represents a specific color. I know the top slot is red, but the others I have forgotten. Just look at the map in the editor, find the places you want and find which slots in the lobby correspond to it.

Sort of. The map has specific color spots when placing things but the actual color you get in-game is randomized.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 12:13:57 am »

in UMS the lobby is like that, unless you've changed it in the editor, and in Melee it's random.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:22:16 pm »

I know the colors go red, blue, teal, purple, orange, brown, white, yellow, but when you do a custom map (not UMS) the starting locations are randomized. That's why I wanted to make a Use Map Settings game with fixed starting locations.

The "Custom Level" AI ended up not really working out all that well. I think I'll try campaign insane next time. The computers ended up just building up bases effectively and not really attacking, which meant you could just tech up and steamroller them. Overall it was good for the newbie's first game, but still no challenge.

If you guys (especially Meph) have maps that you made or liked, let me know and upload/PM/something them to me.