Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Holy Crap Acid Rain!?  (Read 16150 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
Holy Crap Acid Rain!?
« on: April 01, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »

It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Not to mention that farms can't be built straight on sand/loam/&c. anymore and dwarves will work themselves to (near) death and the costs in the embark screen are all different I don't know what I need/want anymore and will have to completely re-evaluate my early game. I'm basically out of food and waiting for 3/7 water to recede from my farm plots so I can start growing... I love this game.

Leotto

• Bay Watcher
  • Rumplord
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Crap Acid Rain!?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 05:52:16 pm »

I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 06:07:18 pm »

I just made all my dorfs proficient Biters, liars, and went from there.
"Did you eat Urist?"
"Pshht, of course not!"
shifty eyes

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 06:13:06 pm »

Not to mention that farms can't be built straight on sand/loam/&c. anymore and dwarves will work themselves to (near) death and the costs in the embark screen are all different I don't know what I need/want anymore and will have to completely re-evaluate my early game. I'm basically out of food and waiting for 3/7 water to recede from my farm plots so I can start growing... I love this game.

That explains the buckets on embark by default.  I saw that and thought "man, time to trade these buckets in for some sweet, sweet, sweetbreads."
At last, she is done.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 08:19:02 pm »

Except you can't use buckets to irrigate. You basically HAVE to start near water now, period.

Nirreln

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 08:44:29 pm »

Except you can't use buckets to irrigate. You basically HAVE to start near water now, period.
The cave systems are all muddy so you could just dig into those and they also have water. Though there many critters down there that hunger for dwarven blood.
Quote from: a rather odd engraving
This is a masterful image of your FPS and the HFS. The HFS is committing a depraved act on your FPS.

Ampoliros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 08:53:53 pm »

? Err, you most certainly can. You have to designate the pit/pond one z-level above the farm in open space, but it definitely works. In fact, if the old methods still work, all you have to do is muddy a single tile of the farm and it counts all as irrigated, which is pretty easy with buckets from above. Also, the irrigation on soil thing is evidently a bug according to baughn so...it won't be forever.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:14:10 pm »

The cave systems are all muddy so you could just dig into those and they also have water. Though there many critters down there that hunger for dwarven blood.
First fort in the new version, that's exactly what I did.  Giant Toad came up, had to draft all my dwarves to fight it.  One lost its arm and kept on working.  Two others just got cut open arms and went all wussy on me.  Doc was patching them up, and then the game crashed.  I hadn't saved, but it was a fun learning experience.

To the OP:  Did you install over the old version.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 09:54:26 pm »

Nope, new install. Well, actually, it was that Mayday integrated pack, which I didn't assemble...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 09:56:48 pm »

Well, maybe it was Toady's april fool's joke then. ;D
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 10:00:04 pm »

oh shoot, my fort was randomly named 'MineTyphoon'! I hope it doesn't rain...

Tally

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2010, 10:02:05 pm »

Alternatively, a good idea for food is to embark where you will have some vegetation. Harvest surface plants, start a surface farm, feed your dorfs that way. Most places that have surface plants have water, anyway, so after a while you could have a farm up, whether powered by buckets, tunnels, or pumps. I will agree that it definitely makes the early game more challenging, though, but it's mainly that we never saw it coming.

A livestock ranch could work out too, of course. In the early game you would have to supplement your stocks with traded food. Especially for that first winter.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2010, 10:14:46 pm »

Huh. I've been playing for a few minutes, it has been raining, and I haven't seen any raindrop-induced leprosy. ...Yet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kidsta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 10:55:02 pm »

There's some scorching biomes now that cause your dwarfs to start melting soon after they're on them. Maybe its not the rain but that?

Well, haven't run into any acid rain so far, so I dunno.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2010, 11:03:13 pm »

I'm playing in a warm biome, rain is not damaging my dwarves, who are definately out in it (they're farming up there for now)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4