Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: DF2010 - Bronze Colossuses, too hardcore?  (Read 11664 times)

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010 - Bronze Colossuses, too hardcore?
« Reply #75 on: April 05, 2010, 02:20:08 am »

So then how the frk am i going to kill him?

I thought that was obvious. You don't.
he just killed me...
:( well then whats the best way to kill them then... other then stab them for 20 years.

20 years worth of stabbing won't do it. Your option are firing lead tipped logs at him using a massive siege device, or a lava flood trap. Failing those, or if your playing adventure mode, some people say a clownite sword can do it, but you still need some luck.

He killed me...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 02:27:21 am by Pkassad »
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2010, 02:21:48 am »

Even the Bronze Collosus should be injured by Siege weapons.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2010, 02:24:45 am »

Even the Bronze Collosus should be injured by Siege weapons.

Should is such a vague word.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 05, 2010, 02:43:14 am »

I heard a rumor that a fall can do them in. Haven't tested it tho.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 05, 2010, 02:49:14 am »

Along with siege, other options that have been discussed are RKVs using water, massive corpses, huge kitten cluster bombs, etc. dropped from 100 Z's above, luring them into a bridge trap that drops them a large height, atom smashing, magma cannons, and collapsing large structures onto them (preferably from large heights).

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2010, 02:56:55 am »

I went back with 10 dwarfs helping, he killed all of them so I ran xD.  It would seem clownite is pretty much the only way you[/b] could kill it in adventure mode.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2010, 02:58:17 am »

From my tests in arena mode, adamantine doesn't work either, regardless of weapon/skill.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2010, 03:05:45 am »

Zerg rushing does seem to eliminate the threat. 142 super-legendary dwarves in steel armor wielding steel battle axes  managed to mangle everything on a BC and lop off all hands and feet. Thing was... it was still alive, but its attacks couldn't penetrate their armor. No dead dwarves.
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2010, 03:07:12 am »

Zerg rushing does seem to eliminate the threat. 142 super-legendary dwarves in steel armor wielding steel battle axes  managed to mangle everything on a BC and lop off all hands and feet. Thing was... it was still alive, but its attacks couldn't penetrate their armor. No dead dwarves.

He never was able to hurt me and I battled for an hour in real life, though the only time he hit me was when i was set to "Stand ground"

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2010, 03:43:56 am »

So if I was to build a fort, how would I prepare for something unstoppable like this? a large pit trap? Crushing it? trapping it in a room with firemen?
Thank you based dwarf.

gamegreen33

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2010, 03:51:40 am »

So if I was to build a fort, how would I prepare for something unstoppable like this? a large pit trap? Crushing it? trapping it in a room with firemen?
Build a huge room,  big enough to hold all of your dwarves.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: dogstile
We all know what those elfs are like. they're a couple of guys who are up to no good, making trouble in our neighbourhood. Now you guys got my mum all scared and now i'm moving with my auntie and uncle in bel air!
imagine fighting someone on the street. You guys are going at it...all of the sudden, he hits you in the face with the tips of 5 fingers. What the fuck is he doing? You're confused, he school boys you, you're going to be lost. Match won.

AxemRed

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2010, 05:30:44 am »

I stood with a small pool of water behind me, and when he charged me. I dodged and he landed in the 2x1 pool of water. He's not dead. But he can't do anything besides yell his name when I get close and collect rust now. He's still not dead, and I won't get the pat on the back from the quest giver. But it feels like a personal victory.

Plus one day, maybe I'll built a fort there and tame him, or make him a museum exhibit. Not sure yet, but it'll be awesome.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2010, 12:42:50 pm »

In regards to water-immobilization: I have no idea why it works,as a being of solid bronze would obviously sink, but why it cannot move on it's own z-level is a mystery. Does .31 support water pressure from depth?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2010, 12:55:01 pm »

In terms of Fortress mode, the Bronze Collosus is finally a great challenge (though too easily dealt with with a few exploits)

Adventurer mode, the Bronze Collosus is currently near unbeatable. Though it feels more that Adventurer mode is limited then the Bronze Collosus being unfairly difficult.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2010, 01:44:51 pm »

So yesterday I played through adventurer and, like many before me, was assigned a quest to take down a bronze colossus. After about half an hour of battling and no change (apart from some of my skills going way up), I decided to just use it for training in the different weapons I was carrying. Finally, I decided to train my unarmed combat. Bad move. As soon as I dropped my shield he punched me in the arm, shattering the bone, and by the time I picked up my shield I was already in too much pain to block effectively. He punched my skull through my brain.

I then read this thread, and decided I wanted the colossus to be defeatable, if not trivial. After trying a few things out in arena, I decided to quarter the size of the bronze colossus. This allowed its head to be removed with a lucky attack by a dwarf with GM everything and a steel battle axe.

Also: NEVER give a colossus a shield. It can and will take out as many dragons as you send after it, with minimal melting.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9