Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19

Author Topic: Changing Lands - A Roleplaying Epic!  (Read 12055 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: Changing Lands - An Interactive RP Story-Game
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 08:53:13 am »

Just a few questions on Therianthrope magicks:
Is it contact? Like, you have to touch the object you wish to mold or shape?
What are the penalties for molding sentient beings? You don't explain.
What counts as molding a sentient being? Could I, say, cut off an arm? Or do I have to MOLD them?
How much energy does it take to do anything?
What are the limits to the powers?

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 01:55:02 pm »

Joseph thought on the offer. It was tempting to be sure, he was fascinated by this old script. Something more than just the archaic…what did he call it? English. A chance to learn more about it would be most welcome.  However, he wasn’t sure if he would accept. He would be traveling with others, but at least a few minds were much easier to tone out that a city full of them. More concerning to him was the fact they’d be traveling in mountains, something he was ill equipped and trained to do. He would be dependent on his guards. Something he disliked immensely given that he didn’t know them.

It was either that, or start using his abilities in earnest to defend himself, something which he hoped to avoid. He knew of the fates of other empaths who overextended their minds. And how they gradually slipped away from reality. That fate wasn’t going to claim him, if there was anything he had to say about it. However, it might be worth it to use his powers for a short while to take a good look at the guards minds, not to mention his as well. Just to make sure they didn’t plan to rob him once in the wilderness. Just to be safe. If they agreed to that, he consent to going.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 03:54:55 pm »

Webadict, it must be contact for your powers to have effect. Some Therianthropes (from now I'll call 'em Shapers, it's the shorthand name) get around this by growing underground feelers/roots which then grab the creature to be Shaped, but there must be some contact.

As for molding sentient beings, there is no actual penalty, but it is forbidden by law. If you're caught using your magics on them in any way without their permission, you are in BIG trouble. However, if you are granted permission (such as for healing or cosmetic surgery) then it is perfectly fine.

As for energy, that part's malleable. Let's just say that after any significant expenditure of energy (such as a fullbody makeover or massive healing) you will be worn out for most of the day. Smaller uses can be offset by draining energy from the environment (again, this requires contact). As for limits to your powers, you can't morph your body in a way you have not analyzed in another creature ie. no tentacles f you've never touched a creature that has them. In addition, initially you'll be somewhat weak, but you'll get stronger as you use your powers more. Finally, overextending yourself can lead to unconsciousness or even death, and if your 'patient' isn't powerful enough they may be killed if the Shaping is major enough.

Fortis, one thing I should have added for clarity. Sanctuary is on one side of a quite large island. Completely dividing the island in two down the middle is a mountain range, raised by the people of Sanctuary some time ago. The reason they did this is that there are three groups of dangerous Castes on the other side of the mountains. The Nexii, who are extremely powerful, extremely hard to detect, and act as spies for the person described in the Prologue. The Tech-heads or 'Freaks', which are humans who have willingly substituted various body parts for machinery. They have short life-spans but are extremely aggressive and strong. And finally, the Artificiers. Not willingly violent, but they are the Tech-heads slaves, and they may be forced to fight you, with a wide variety of ingenious devices. In addition, Artificiers can create Automata, sentient machinery that will do their bidding.

Your contact was making the understatement of the year when he said crossing the mountains was unfortunate. The pass itself is perfectly safe, but its a free-for-all on the other side.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2010, 04:46:59 pm »

...well, that changes everything. Joseph will definitely turn him down then.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 04:57:31 pm »

OK.

... Finding a way to get you all together and working towards a coherent objective may be difficult :P

Anyway, I'm still up for turns in the meantime. Just state either what you'd like to achieve or what you'd like to do in the next couple of hours. Any questions about your options, feel free to ask me.

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2010, 05:00:00 pm »

If it's any help, Joseph probably would go up into the pass if it's safe, just to get away from the crowd of thoughts in the city.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2010, 05:09:13 pm »

The pass (suitable called the Demon's Maw, for its somewhat toothy appearance) is guarded on the one side by the Metalmorphs, who are extremely efficient at repelling enemy incursions. But it's still not safe in the pass itself, so that's a no-go.

We'll see how the events pan out - there are things happening in the background. That 'kid' the merchant told Cullos about is part of things, as is the contact who approached you and the weird writing you found (which is funny, cause it was your idea :P)

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2010, 06:45:44 pm »

Hmm. I really need some money. I could do the Disappearing Bottle trick... Nah, I never quite got the hang of that one. the Melon and the Knife trick? No, it needs a iron or steel blade to be done properly. Juggling? Yeah, that's always a good one, but not especially exciting. I know, I'll juggle with my feet. While balancing on my sword!

((Cullos was a performance artist before being drafted into the Holy Army))
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2010, 07:43:15 pm »

Oh, I don't want tentacles. On the contrary, I am making a fighting style using only what I have now.

Few more questions:
When I mold, do I use materials and conserve mass, or do I need a supply for them?

Either way, ripping off someone's arm should be fairly easy, since I'm sure the molding process itself requires breaking down the object and reforming it.

Likewise, would I be too worried about how my brain would process these things? Because my idea involves using several eyes on my head in different places (Like the back and sides) to see.

How fast can I Mold myself or others? Because, I mean, if it takes a while, I suppose I can't just Mold someone's arm off or mutate in battle (Say, create a bone layer outside my skin.) Or is it related to material, where I could mold plant material rather fast (The tendril thing, but more along the lines of acting as binds to hold them still), but bone material would take a couple of seconds/minutes (So, I couldn't Mold a bone shield from a cache of bones I have in a split second to block a Fireball)?

These are all plenty important.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2010, 10:16:57 pm »

It's all relatively simultaneous, depending on the immensity of the undertaking. Even at worst, maybe a minute for full body makeover.

Breaking an arm off doesn't make sense, but you could say, shrivel it away. And that doubles as your energy/mass supply - for your magic, you have a daily supply of mass/energy, which can be supplemented by draining organics.

As for brain, yeah, that's a bigger issue. You could either mold the eyes and hope for the best or (and this is a better plan) after some study, mold your eyes AND brain. Brain molding is understandably risky however.

And you can mutate in battle, including bone armor as a situational defense etc. Everything molds at the same rate, too.

Cullos, I'ma spice your action a bit, if you don't mind. In essence it will be the same, just a little more... dramatic.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2010, 10:35:50 pm »

What exactly do you mean by 'More dramatic"?
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2010, 10:39:09 pm »

I'm not entirely sure, but you're an Arcanist... you can make it flashy.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2010, 11:02:41 pm »

(I'll be calling him Cairne even tough It's his surename. Theodore dosn't sound menacingly enough. :D )

Cairne wandered silently along the shadows, with senses constantly on the lookout for any potential threat or meal. His breath nearly nonexistant, to prevent anyone or thing to notice him. He have been used to stalking in dark places for so long, that his camuflage ability is only capable of dark shades. What made him dangerous was the element of surprize, to strike fast and furiously before anyone notices. He however had a fatal flaw, a deep backwards hissing noise from his throat, alerting whatever he is stalking. Suddenly he flinched, he have spotted something.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 11:12:44 pm by Ultimuh »

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 12:56:32 am »

Steal my idea :P

So, do you mind if I decide what he finds, or would you like to specify the outcome in a pm? Do you mind if he kills stuff?

The beginnings of a plan are forming in my head...

But first I need webadict's, Fortis', and Acanthus' turns. Be quick please, I'd like to do roughly a turn a day, if possible.

If you haven't posted a turn by tomorrow morning, I'll choose a turn for you, with the purpose of advancing the plot.

EDIT: Actually, I'll be quite busy tomorrow, so you may have up to 20 hours from now. Please post a turn.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 04:06:39 am by deadlycairn »

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2010, 03:05:45 pm »

Journey into that dangerous territory? With someone I've barely met? Not a chance. Joseph shook his head as the mysteries man departed. The odd language was an interest, not an obsession, he wasn't ready to take such risks yet. He doubted he ever would be.

Speaking of risks, he was taking one by staying in this crowd. He didn't want to push himself so much. Hawking off the rest of his wares, and packing up his belongings, he left the stall and made for one of the less crowded parts of the city. His mind could use some relief, even if he could hold out longer.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19