Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218607 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (elephants!)
« Reply #1065 on: June 30, 2010, 12:49:19 pm »

Whatever.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: June 30, 2010, 12:50:15 pm »

I think you just get the general outline of an easily recognizable elephant pose then just colour it in with a square brush
Yeah, but... but...

Never mind my poor drawing skills, it seems like there has to be something special to put so much detail in it. I looked at it up close. The elephant's tusk is three pixels. Three friggin' pixels! How do you do that?! It's got curve and everything - how do you make such a detailed tusk from three pixels?

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: June 30, 2010, 12:52:06 pm »

Magic.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: June 30, 2010, 01:04:24 pm »

I think you just get the general outline of an easily recognizable elephant pose then just colour it in with a square brush
Yeah, but... but...

Never mind my poor drawing skills, it seems like there has to be something special to put so much detail in it. I looked at it up close. The elephant's tusk is three pixels. Three friggin' pixels! How do you do that?! It's got curve and everything - how do you make such a detailed tusk from three pixels?

MAKE IT BIGGER.
Thats shit tiny.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Star Weaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: June 30, 2010, 01:35:17 pm »

Yeah, but... but...

Google "pixel art" ?

I remember finding a site that discussed sprites from Secret of Mana and some other console games, which included things like a discussion on how if you have a 4x4 outline for a character's hand, deleting (thus rounding) any one or two of the corners changed the charecter's body language substantially...

Don't have time to go try to find it myself :-\.

I think he made the elephant tusk look curved with that and/or something like antialising, but I haven't looked at it for long.

HeliumFreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.41!!!)
« Reply #1070 on: June 30, 2010, 01:55:14 pm »

the gems in ironhand's tiles would need some sort of way to make them more noticeable, maybe a bit bigger, or instead of 1 round gem, a few ones

This is already the case. Im not sure if its not applied to all gems (if thats possible?) or if its based on their value but heres the proof

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.41!!!)
« Reply #1071 on: June 30, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »

the gems in ironhand's tiles would need some sort of way to make them more noticeable, maybe a bit bigger, or instead of 1 round gem, a few ones
This is already the case. Im not sure if its not applied to all gems (if thats possible?) or if its based on their value but heres the proof
It's based on their value. Maybe he meant that the smaller ones are a bit too small.
Also I would prefer the same system to be used with ores and stones.

Xelnag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: June 30, 2010, 02:33:50 pm »

yup, what i meant is that the lowest value ones are hard to see, and it happens with ores too so if possible maybe some kind of improvement would be appreciated ;D

On a side note... that elephant DID remind me of boatmurdered, looking forward to him and maybe mario too? hah

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1073 on: June 30, 2010, 03:32:18 pm »

Awesome elephant!

I also like the current remains, I just had a skull laying around from making totems :P

All the tiles I've done so far needed tweaking for visibility, this is what my remains look like right now:

Oh and there is an ant hill well next to my refuse pile :D

And here are what the levers look like with dark and light knobs:

blub-dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: June 30, 2010, 04:02:34 pm »

hey one question,

if i want to change the black space between the smoothed floores change to white. Do i need to change the background behind the dwarfs too?

thanks

Xelnag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: June 30, 2010, 04:26:40 pm »

IMO lever set on "ON" mode, should be a bit brighter. Not sure though, but seeing just that pic makesm e  think that way.

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1076 on: June 30, 2010, 07:39:24 pm »

Blub: Thats Ironhand's department, but yeah I reckon you would be looking at quite a bit of work to do that...

Levers revisited.

The on lever here is as bright as it's possible to make it because of the way the game colours things based on material.

TealThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: June 30, 2010, 07:51:50 pm »

that new brighter lever looks great, and also, those weapon racks are much better now worm I can see the rack part now :D bravo!

So when are we gonna get a new version!! (I made the change from Phoebus and am just living with hunting down rock types by endlessly scrolling my loo'K' cursor over all the exposed walls :( hehe)

EDIT: Just to give you an idea of my troubles...

That's Gneiss with a vein of silver running through it... it's easy to see the silver vein right now by the silver left on the floor, but when looking at the walls I have real trouble telling the gneiss from the silver at a glance. If I focus on the spot I can *just* make out the difference, but to me it needs to be different enough that metals stand out over stone.

Is it just me??
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:05:29 pm by TealThanatos »

TealThanatos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: June 30, 2010, 07:57:35 pm »

oh woot I just read that wormslayer is officially on board, woohoo!

What you guys are doing is literally going to bring DF to a bigger audience, you watch. I think a lot of people nowadays are put off by the graphics and you're fixing that as we speak :)

I know a friend of mine rejected DF cause of the graphics... if I take it back to him with a complete ironhand/wormslayer set he'd change his mind, and I think that'd go for a lot of other people too.

Have you considered making the gem markers shaped like:
_
\/

like a cut diamond, instead of round? I know that its not realistic as such but as an abstract it immediately screams 'gem!'

Hope you guys don't mind my little suggestions :) I hold no ill feelings if you reject any of my thoughts, I just wanna throw ideas out there to assist you ;) I fully expect some of my ideas to be crap but... no harm in stirring up discussion right? :D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 08:05:48 pm by TealThanatos »

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #1079 on: June 30, 2010, 09:34:49 pm »

I have exactly the same problem as you TT - Gold/Orthoclase is as hard to distinguish as Silver/Gneiss, I'm bugging Ironhand about it :P

Cabinets are still giving me trouble, but how about this for new chests?

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 329