Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218613 times)

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (magic new water for 0.50!)
« Reply #2025 on: August 07, 2010, 09:56:35 pm »

Oh. Also, I love that water. How would you like to be able to animate it?

Are you teasing us with some sort of animated png support? :F

If you can make water animate in a way that logically shows flow direction, my brain will liquify.

If we switch over to using the "number for water" thing with tiles it looks really, really nice in places where the water level is changing. The downside is that rivers lose the nice flowing colour animation along their length.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:58:29 pm by WormSlayer »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 07, 2010, 10:43:06 pm »

If you can make water animate in a way that logically shows flow direction, my brain will liquify.
Man, water doesn't even do that in real life most of the time.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 07, 2010, 11:04:09 pm »

Man, water doesn't even do that in real life most of the time.
Neither does water come with gigantic marks saying "7" and "6" and such; however, it is included. It's not reality that matters, it's making the game enjoyable.

That being said, I don't think it's possible for a graphics set to show flow direction. That would require a change in the game itself, not just the graphics.

Urist McFail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 08, 2010, 03:01:17 am »

showing flow could be done using wavey lines, as Ironhand has done, with small little arrow heads.

Of course, the coding would need to be there initially to indicate which direction water is flowing for each tile, either that or just some kind of pointer in the code, like a compass cardinal point that indicates the source direction of water, and for spreading water like that in new channels or pumped across a dry floor, it would need to inherit the parent tiles direction and compare it to the direction it is moving and change as relevant.

But yeah, just by creating the tiles will not accurately show flow unless it is coded into the game.

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 08, 2010, 06:06:12 am »

I go away for a few days and return to mega awesome. Keep up the good work.
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 08, 2010, 06:28:26 am »

Nonedit: Yep, I'm also altering the text-sizing functions, so a proportional font means you get more text into the same horizontal space, not more blank space to the right.

Hello, narrow FONTS! Oh Armok, i can hardly WAIT.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 06:57:31 am by McBeer »
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 08, 2010, 06:55:45 am »

I'm going to have to stress again that this code will not work properly in the next version.

Well, then what are you doing lazing around here? Hop to it!  :P

Nah. I'd rather have more tile separations.
The big problem ones for me are ~, ≈, and X.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 08, 2010, 08:06:09 am »

I'd LOVE to have animated tiles/creature graphics in general!
Two-step animated dwarves would be hilarious to watch, especially when paused and forwarding time only with the . key (like I do in battles sometimes).
And you could make gems sparkle a bit. Or an animated fly-swarm. Or...

Zoal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 08, 2010, 09:01:43 am »

Animated tiles can be implemented so that the artist only has to use one single tile entry. You would not have to "use up" N tiles to make something which is animated.

Because the actual rendering is not the problem. The problem is that Toady is only providing enough information to specify "index 114". What the renderer chooses to do with that index is another story. It could cycle through four frames representing "index 114". The tileset could even be four .pngs, one for each frame.

Of course, that index could be ambiguous, like in the case of the spiderweb/currency tile. And you could not use this ability to cheat and get more actual unique tile entries, cause we're still stuck with the original tileset index #'s coming from Toady.

I just mean to say: There could be a shimmering animated coin, but it would have to be a shimmering/animated web as well.

-z
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 10:45:13 am by Zoal »

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 08, 2010, 01:19:36 pm »

If you had an animated image, and could get it to stop on whatever image you'd prefer, that would get you the option to choose between different images in a list. Probably won't be possible, but then again we haven't seen how it works yet. :P

keda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 08, 2010, 02:26:45 pm »

Nonedit: Yep, I'm also altering the text-sizing functions, so a proportional font means you get more text into the same horizontal space, not more blank space to the right.
wow... :o Does this mean the 80 tile lower bound can be trashed too so we can make bigger tiles without needing huge screens? :D

ChickenLips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (surprise release! 0.47, the segue into 0.50!)
« Reply #2036 on: August 08, 2010, 02:38:59 pm »

Been busy for a week or so, and have only just now gotten the chance to really take a look at 0.47 -- looking awesome!  I like the water a lot too.  I'm just amazed at what you guys have done.

Speaking specifically about the bushel, it's great, appropriate and fills in a very needed gap, but I have a wee complaint: I really liked that little low, squat plant thing it replaced (161), and found it extraordinarily useful for representing a variety of plants.  Is there any way to either put it back in, either as a different tile number, or as 161 with the basket moved to a different tile number?

Not sure why I have such a basket-like mental image...

Such a useful tile though - Could be a bushel of pretty much anything with the right colours :D

Like Dimple Cups or Plump Helmets? ;)

Do not meddle in the affairs of chickens, for you are crunchy and taste like a good seedgrain.

(You are not a seedgrain?  Of course, you and I know that very well.  But does the chicken know it?)

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 08, 2010, 03:21:11 pm »

Yeah, I want to put something like that back in.
I liked the concept, but it wasn't very good.

So I'll make you a better one!
Unless WormSlayer beats me to it.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 08, 2010, 03:28:29 pm »

wow... :o Does this mean the 80 tile lower bound can be trashed too so we can make bigger tiles without needing huge screens? :D
Not just yet. It's something Toady has shown a little interest in doing (though not in quite those words), but I very much doubt it'll happen anytime soon. Eventually, though.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2039 on: August 08, 2010, 10:20:51 pm »

Yeah, I want to put something like that back in.
I liked the concept, but it wasn't very good.

So I'll make you a better one!
Unless WormSlayer beats me to it.

More/shinier plants are up on my list of stuff to do but I've been a bit side-tracked with boring real-world stuff like work :(
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 329