Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218718 times)

Ladde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (still waiting for 0.50...)
« Reply #2265 on: August 12, 2010, 11:41:54 pm »

~When will 0.50 be released?

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: August 13, 2010, 12:20:04 am »

Here's another thing. Couldn't you actually light tiles based on their proximity to light sources? Outdoors = full bright, indoors less so. If a wall is engraved, maybe it could be considered to hold a sconce, thus lighting tiles around it.

In theory we can do all kinds of funky things, but there is no way to tell if a tile is outdoors from just tile number and colour :F

Yeah, probably, I was thinking about what tiles are always outdoors and whether they could check for those, or if a tile has a roof then it's obviously indoors. But no matter, that's probably A Kludge Too Far.

Still.. what about the idea of light sources? I mean it would increase the number of tiles directly, but for starters a simple photoshop action could apply a basic 'beam' of light overspill to tile edges. Then say if a tile is near a furnace, it gets replaced by a tile with light falling from the appropriate compass direction.

..if a floor is smoothed, and runs up against a wall, then the pattern could embellish around the edge. Hell, you could do away with tiled patterns altogether, so that single polished floors on their own worked okay, but when placed next to others, the patterns meshed.

Don't know if objects count as tiles for these purposes but you could have double beds for married dwarves, even.

The possibilites for interesting geological features are pretty awesome too, like gem formations that properly mesh and change as they are gradually dug out from the sides.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:27:09 am by Harmonica »

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: August 13, 2010, 01:33:11 am »

Amazing times ahead of us, indeed.
Thing about double doors: They will be double if two doors stored are in a stockpile next to each other, though.
And about the workshop detecting:
We don't need to detect all 9 tiles, some workshops are distinct enough that it's enough to ignore some tiles (esp. the one where a dwarf stands when he's working)
It won't work if some dwarf walks across "important" walkable tiles, though.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 01:43:34 am by Vince »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: August 13, 2010, 02:41:02 am »

You can fix it by having the dwarf that moves into the center tile of the workshop be shown as a special "working" tile matched to the 'shop and the worker. (wow, combinatorial explosion much?) Then you could always "rebuild" the shop graphic based on what tile the worker dwarf is. If the engine will allow checking for "currently displayed tile" instead of "original tile", of course.

Also, double doors can only become double doors if they're also surrounded by walls.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Spaghetti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: August 13, 2010, 02:41:34 am »

when i found this pack i splooged

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: August 13, 2010, 02:52:21 am »

I've got an idea. What do you think about turning "coffin" into "headstone" tiles? Of course visually they won't be coffins, but they would look great when built in mausoleums/burial chambers, and mass graves will look like actual graveyards.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: August 13, 2010, 03:24:11 am »

I think that it's a cool idea but I'm not sure whether dwarves would consider using graveyards.

I was actually wondering if you could create a workshop that was a graveyard, which required x number of coffins and produced a vampire. Ie, like Dungeon Keeper used to do it.

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: August 13, 2010, 03:37:23 am »

I think that it's a cool idea but I'm not sure whether dwarves would consider using graveyards.

I was actually wondering if you could create a workshop that was a graveyard, which required x number of coffins and produced a vampire. Ie, like Dungeon Keeper used to do it.

That would be interesting. Instead of one coffin for a noble, a bunch of coffins and he becomes immortal(so to speak)
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: August 13, 2010, 03:38:18 am »

Yeah, would look bad inside mountains... You got the general dump for emergencies. The Sarcophagus visualization is a must have, IMHO.

--- 

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: August 13, 2010, 03:40:19 am »

Yeah, would look bad inside mountains... You got the general dump for emergencies. The Sarcophagus visualization is a must have, IMHO.

---

Well I think the point is to look good, not make sense.

But I do like the idea of headstones instead of coffins.
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: August 13, 2010, 03:50:18 am »

I personally like the idea of statues instead of coffins OR headstones :) Or yes, a sarcophagus like Thundrim said. Damn, that's what I'm going to add in to my game later.

My entrance ramp will be lined with these eery upright sarcophaguses (sarcophagii?)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:51:58 am by Harmonica »

andfhe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: August 13, 2010, 03:54:30 am »

I personally like the idea of statues instead of coffins OR headstones :) Or yes, a sarcophagus like Thundrim said. Damn, that's what I'm going to add in to my game later.

My entrance ramp will be lined with these eery upright sarcophaguses (sarcophagii?)

sarcophagi

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: August 13, 2010, 03:55:06 am »

Sarcofagi :) (Daww ninjad by Andfhe)

And sarcofagi would work too. I just meant that we want some beautiful and complex tile if it repeats a lot (at least in my fortresses it does).

I want glorious graveyards inside of my fort :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: August 13, 2010, 04:01:34 am »

In addition to tile values and colors, you get the current time in milliseconds as input. You can use that for animation, easy.

Also keep in mind that this will be as a shader. You can use almost arbitrary code (though if statements are slow and to be avoided), but you can also easily combine our generate tiles in realtime, which should cut down on the combinatorial explosion some.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:37:19 am by Baughn »
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

McBeer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: August 13, 2010, 04:52:37 am »

..hello, i'd like to apologize eveyone for my yesterday's posts. I'd like you to know i respect you guys, even if it looks different sometimes..
That would be all.
fun is for rich men, i assume.
----------
My axe is sharp and my beard is strong.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 329