Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218531 times)

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (0.48 released!)
« Reply #2580 on: August 20, 2010, 12:14:53 pm »

I noticed in the tileset there is a tile used for some rock in the process of being destroyed that could maybe render good as water/blood too.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you want to try and see how the animation of the water render, here is the 0.48 tileset with the 2 water tiles setup :

Woah, I see in your screenshot a well... Does making a well like that work?!  I never even considered that, I normally make complicated systems with underground reservoirs...
Diggy diggy hole.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: August 20, 2010, 12:21:29 pm »

it works, but dorves get happier thoughts from higher wells.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: August 20, 2010, 02:21:36 pm »

Yes it works nicely to prevent my stupid dwarves to go drink way too far from the zone assigned or too far from the fortress defenses.
As it seems the dwarves will give priority to the well, allowing me to control a bit more where will be their drink zone.

I remember before doing such thing that more than very often, to not say everytime, despite the orders were set to drink only from the designed zone, dwarves were happily ignoring my drink zone and sometime going very far to drink.
Can't count how much of those idiots i lost to goblin ambushes, or in the case of difficult embarks to dangerous animals.

HeliumFreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: August 20, 2010, 03:22:59 pm »

I like the general look of this water better, but it would be nice if something could be done to make it blend a little better.. But over all even in its current state i prefer it over the current one

Actually could you make this one a little less "intense" blue? I maybe like this one better :o
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:30:12 pm by HeliumFreak »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: August 20, 2010, 03:29:07 pm »

Blending it may be difficult for me, i'm not sure how to do it correctly, maybe darkening the tile, i'll have to test.

About this (a bit calm) water version, i tried to make it animated with a modification of the 2nd water tile, here is the tileset to try it :

edit :
Actually could you make this one a little less "intense" blue? I maybe like this one better
Arent colors decided by the colors.txt located in your DF\data\init\ ?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 04:13:16 pm by Robsoie »

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: August 21, 2010, 03:07:29 am »

Not if you fiddle with the transparancy and alpha channels.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: August 21, 2010, 06:43:42 am »

The water tile in Wesnoth looks pretty cool btw ->

*edit*

Now that I think about it....it would be awesome if DF would look like Wesnoth graphically...:)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:34:14 am by Tormy »

Harmonica

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: August 21, 2010, 08:20:51 am »

The river is nice, hopefully we will be able to do transitions of that kind of sophistication.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: August 21, 2010, 06:49:08 pm »

I finally got around to including this set, and making it easy (I think) to switch between Ironhand/Mayday/Phoeb, in my Lazy Newb Pack.
I'm not really playing much DF lately, but I'm exclusively playing with this set now.

I wonder if in newer DF versions, graphics will be separated a bit better from the raws and easier to switch between/install. Sounds like it will be to some degree.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

WormSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • WormSlayer.com
« Reply #2589 on: August 21, 2010, 10:00:37 pm »

I finally got around to including this set, and making it easy (I think) to switch between Ironhand/Mayday/Phoeb, in my Lazy Newb Pack.
I'm not really playing much DF lately, but I'm exclusively playing with this set now.

I wonder if in newer DF versions, graphics will be separated a bit better from the raws and easier to switch between/install. Sounds like it will be to some degree.

Nice :D

Unfortunately I think it may complicate switching tilesets because there will be a lot more variation possible?

So many possibilities with shaders, including theoretically awesome water, but we'll see how it goes :D

IH is back from vacation but still pretty busy so we probably wont get any cool new critters for a while :(

Zerocyde

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: August 21, 2010, 11:02:59 pm »

Is there a key anywhere that shows what each ironhand tile is?

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: August 22, 2010, 04:02:08 am »

Is there a key anywhere that shows what each ironhand tile is?

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2113 use this :)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: August 23, 2010, 07:05:03 am »

Adding a geometry shader increases framerate by 50%, from 330 to 485, so I think I'm just going to do that by default. It's a win because it means the vertex shader gets run once per tile instead of six times in duplicate; that's using my very simple default vertex shader on an 8600GTM, which is pretty much the worst case for this geometry shader optimization. :P

(And the framerate is normally limited to 50. I don't think we're going to run into GPU speed issues anytime soon.)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: August 23, 2010, 07:07:08 am »

..hmm

...actually, what do I need the vertex shader for? I can do most of that stuff in the geometry shader, I think. Let's see...
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: August 23, 2010, 08:17:59 am »

I don't know, fluctuate the edges of tiles between water and ground to create wave effects? Or wait, tiles aren't mapped to polygons. Well, I guess you don't need vertex shading much.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 329