Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1217422 times)

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (OOPS)
« Reply #3840 on: April 02, 2011, 08:15:42 am »

I agree with Svenstaro.  Given DF's normal type of error handling (keep going until it breaks HARD), it should probably throw up a "?!" tile or something, and drop a description of the error into errorlog.txt.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: April 02, 2011, 08:22:31 am »

It does work out of the box, but I will give it another try

Marble_Nuts

• Bay Watcher
  • Real dwarf dig deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: April 02, 2011, 08:36:39 am »

Ok I found the problem... My Zip utility destroyed/replaced directories when it unpacked the graphic pack files.

In that case (or similar case) the 'data' file should NOT be entirely copied. It's missing a lot of thing (including index), just it's content have to be replaced in the main 'data' file of original game.

And it works XD
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 08:57:28 am by Marble_Nuts »

Morwaul

• Bay Watcher
  • ..............boo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: April 02, 2011, 09:00:05 am »

I can't remember the word for it, but there is a name for that.

That type of scale is better at showing differences and is common.

Yes, maybe, but for me I just hate it.  If they had made each of the 4 dark to light sections a different color sure.  Anyway, is it possible to change this or is that something only Toady can do?

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: April 02, 2011, 09:03:55 am »

I can't remember the word for it, but there is a name for that.

That type of scale is better at showing differences and is common.

Yes, maybe, but for me I just hate it.  If they had made each of the 4 dark to light sections a different color sure.  Anyway, is it possible to change this or is that something only Toady can do?
It's hardcoded. (Just Toady)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: April 02, 2011, 09:25:15 am »

An 8x8 magenta tile, then. That should do.  8)
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: April 02, 2011, 10:00:40 am »

Well that scale thing is really annoying.  It would be even better if it was numbered and scaled grey for mountainous areas down to green near their valleys/bases and then tan/sand color down near coasts and underwater.  All with different shades of each.

This made me think that the tops of mountains beyond a certain elevation should be separate alpine biomes.  That's always bothered me.  Also, those elevations do have certain kinds of wildlife and plant life, which makes the in-game mountaintops look very empty to me.
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: April 02, 2011, 10:40:56 am »

Yeah, I'm not sure why that one doesn't use numbers like the cliffs page. I feel like that would be easier to understand.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: April 02, 2011, 03:29:29 pm »

On a serious note: Ironhand, one thing that annoys me is that I expect the large mushroom graphics to be underground trees (Like phoebus has), but right now there's no way to tell the difference visually from underground bushes and underground mushroom trees, would you ever consider making it so only cut-able fungi look like huge mushrooms?
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: April 02, 2011, 05:43:35 pm »

The only other ones are plump helmets.
What would you rather plump helmets look like?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3850 on: April 02, 2011, 08:18:47 pm »

I think the point is that non-tree plants shouldn't look as large as tree plants to differentiate easily which you can cut down for lumber. I've had this problem too though I usually just area-designate to catch em all.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: April 02, 2011, 09:02:57 pm »

You could potentially sacrifice one of the other tree tiles in the tileset to give yourself another tile to work with.  You already are using multiple different tiles for cave "trees", anyway.

Having certain tiles always mean "tree", and just having them different colors, while other tiles always mean "shrub" or the like make it much easier to find those items.  You could move towards having a tile where the "trunk" of the wood mushroom is very visible, while edible mushrooms are a different tile where the object is smaller in general, and the cap of the mushroom is more visible. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Aramco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: April 02, 2011, 10:42:41 pm »

I've been using this for a while now, and I only have two complaints.

One- When you scroll over a creature in the units screen, it turns black and you can't see it. The text does the same in some other places, but I don't remember the specific locations.

Two- I find that smooth and rough walls look too similar. I would prefer to be able to tell them apart more easily.

One more thing-- how do I undo the April-fools joke thing? I had a good laugh, but I would like to play normally. Y'know, without any risk of blindness from looking at the wall of colors.

Or maybe there's a god who's just completely insane and sends you to Detroit, Michigan in a new body if you ever utter the name "Pat Sajak".

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: April 03, 2011, 12:03:38 am »

Yeah, I like the tiles you have. Maybe if plump helmets/bushes either used a smaller mushroom graphic, or was otherwise easier to differentiate. I love the tile you are using for the plump helmets, but maybe use it for something else for some variety of cutable fungi instead?
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3854 on: April 03, 2011, 12:42:51 am »

You could potentially sacrifice one of the other tree tiles in the tileset to give yourself another tile to work with.  You already are using multiple different tiles for cave "trees", anyway.

Having certain tiles always mean "tree", and just having them different colors, while other tiles always mean "shrub" or the like make it much easier to find those items.  You could move towards having a tile where the "trunk" of the wood mushroom is very visible, while edible mushrooms are a different tile where the object is smaller in general, and the cap of the mushroom is more visible.
Could also make edible/pickable mushrooms look like a small group of mushrooms rather than a single big one
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 329