Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 329

Author Topic: Ironhand's Graphics Set (on Hiatus)  (Read 1218499 times)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ironhand's Graphics Set (new sprites from NW_Kohaku!)
« Reply #4320 on: March 03, 2012, 06:15:59 am »

I usually listen to other music while I'm working on it,
so I have the sound off. Do people actually listen to the DF music? Should I leave it on?

I don't use the sound. I listen to audio of people playing pen and paper roleplaying games instead. :P

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4321 on: March 03, 2012, 09:29:25 am »

So guys, I haven't played DF since years back so I needs me a refresher.

How do I update my DF folder to the newest version of Ironhand, without deleting my saves?

I strongly suggest you start a new fort, since a lot has changed "recently", and you'll need to relearn. And if "years back" really are a few years, your saves will likely not work with any new version anyway. As far as I know, safegame compatibility only goes back a few versions, until something big is changed.

I'm using the version previous to the NW_Kohaku update.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4322 on: March 03, 2012, 09:40:43 am »

Yeah, that one was a crappy pseudo-update.
This one is better. I recommend you switch.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4323 on: March 03, 2012, 09:43:10 am »

I would, if I knew how :C
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4324 on: March 03, 2012, 09:52:22 am »

You go here:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2617

Download the upgrade pack, and then drop the files (data and raw) into your DF Folder, overwriting everything that it asks you about. Then you go into your save folder, and drop the raw in there.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4325 on: March 03, 2012, 10:03:05 am »

Just a quick question, is kaolinite supposed to now look like a blurry red and black black grid ish? The previous one looked waaaay better imo, not sure if it's just on my end though, can take a screenie later, currently regenning.

Ironhand

• Bay Watcher
  • the llama is laughing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4326 on: March 03, 2012, 11:52:41 am »

Oh, derp. Yeah, you're right.
It's fixed for the next version.

Thanks!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4327 on: March 04, 2012, 02:32:24 pm »

I remade the jumping spider so that its legs don't look like a twisted jumble of striped spaghetti.

I had to give up on trying to show all 8 legs in picture.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Because I'm doing this for sharing between graphics sets, it's a 16x16 picture, so you might want to actually extend that spider leg a little off to the right when you rework it, but this image is symmetrical (sans some shading), so it shouldn't pose much editing trouble if you choose to use this version.

I did the desert critters, except for the tortoise, which Kafine did. 

Gila Monster, Giant Gila Monster, Giant Leopard Gecko

Obviously the regular Gila is just a cleaner version of a resized Giant Gila Monster.  It should still look decent enough to service, however.

Apparently, leopard geckos have black eyes with white-yellow iris slits. 

I'm not entirely satisfied with the gecko, but I wound up throwing away 2 other attempts to draw it, so I'm going to just move on with having done this one.  Those darn gangly-legged creatures always give me trouble.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 06:08:58 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4328 on: March 05, 2012, 07:05:58 am »

You go here:

Download the upgrade pack, and then drop the files (data and raw) into your DF Folder, overwriting everything that it asks you about. Then you go into your save folder, and drop the raw in there.

Forgot to say thanks when I did it, thanks!
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4329 on: March 05, 2012, 07:55:27 am »

You go here:

Forgot to say thanks when I did it, thanks!

May not have worked. I did the same thing, and then realized that I hadn't downloaded the newest version of DF as well (I was still actually running 32.02 when I did those instructions). Check it out for yourself, too.

Alexander86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4330 on: March 05, 2012, 01:58:57 pm »

So i have a 1920x1200 monitor and I was wondering. Is this as good as it gets as far as pixel sizes? I mean are ironhand tiles as detailed as possible or is there room for improvement? Not trying to sound like the pack looks bad because i love the sprites just wondering the capabilites of the game as far as what it can do. The whole pixel dimension screen/screen resolution confuses me. Could someone enlighten me? Also i would love to see this tileset used with the masterwork mod.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4331 on: March 05, 2012, 03:13:08 pm »

No problems so far.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4332 on: March 06, 2012, 03:33:58 am »

So i have a 1920x1200 monitor and I was wondering. Is this as good as it gets as far as pixel sizes? I mean are ironhand tiles as detailed as possible or is there room for improvement? Not trying to sound like the pack looks bad because i love the sprites just wondering the capabilites of the game as far as what it can do. The whole pixel dimension screen/screen resolution confuses me. Could someone enlighten me? Also i would love to see this tileset used with the masterwork mod.
I asked this recently and someone in the Modding Workshop told me that a 1920x1200 resolution, which is the upper limit pretty much of current generation monitors limits the resolution that you can draw the tiles at.  According to the DF wiki, Ironhand's set is a 18x18 tileset and Phoebus' is a 16x16 one.  They told me that a 48x48 tileset would make viewing the boundaries of the game difficult if not impossible on a 1920x1200 resolution because there must be a minimum of 80 tiles across the screen.  I was actually going to edit Ironhand's set by doubling all of the sizes to 36x36 (and editing the raws to reflect this) and see what kind of effect that has, 36x36 might work OK maybe, that's what I intend to find out.
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.

BradUffner

• Bay Watcher
  • BradUffner has begun a mysterious construction.
    • View Profile
    • Gump Studio
« Reply #4333 on: March 06, 2012, 03:40:22 am »

I asked this recently and someone in the Modding Workshop told me that a 1920x1200 resolution, which is the upper limit pretty much of current generation monitors limits the resolution that you can draw the tiles at.  According to the DF wiki, Ironhand's set is a 18x18 tileset and Phoebus' is a 16x16 one.  They told me that a 48x48 tileset would make viewing the boundaries of the game difficult if not impossible on a 1920x1200 resolution because there must be a minimum of 80 tiles across the screen.  I was actually going to edit Ironhand's set by doubling all of the sizes to 36x36 (and editing the raws to reflect this) and see what kind of effect that has, 36x36 might work OK maybe, that's what I intend to find out.

Check out the resolution on this baby. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=soho&cs=ussoho1&sku=224-9949&~ck=dellSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=2

Also, don't forget that some people run dual or even triple monitor setups that have far greater resolution that any single monitor.  I'm sure someone out there is running 6 monitors in 3x2 configuration that could easily handle that 48x48 size tileset.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 03:42:32 am by BradUffner »
Raw Explorer - Easily navigate and edit your raw files via GUI! - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103360.0
Tile Genie - Merge multiple tilesets - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=77724.0

Greendogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4334 on: March 06, 2012, 04:26:47 am »

Okay, here's Ironhand's Graphic Set doubled (quadrupled really) to 36x36 pixels from 18x18 pixels.  It has a pregenerated world with an active fortress mode save for those of you who easily want to see first-hand that a 36x36 pixel graphical set is indeed possible with the current version of DF.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5792

My understanding is that even though this technically provides more detail, if you don't have a monitor with high-enough resolution, any additional detail is not noticeable.  But as BradUffner pointed out above, the time is fast approaching when higher resolution monitors will be more widely available, so maybe the graphic set makers should keep that in mind?

Edit: My guess is that higher resolutions such as 48x48, 64x64, 128x128 on up are probably possible and that there are no limitations within the game's code.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:40:48 am by Greendogo »
Sail - The end reminds me of a goblin choking a kobold.  No ponies, sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 287 288 [289] 290 291 ... 329