Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 119536 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2010, 02:30:45 am »

Its also sometimes well worth causing resource damage to gain an extra trade line from the population increase. Especially on worlds you don't intend to ever use as main production centers.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2010, 06:06:52 am »

In my experience the drones are best against ships without PD, the drones have pretty good range and seem to me to basically just let you use laser tech for long range if you haven't been keeping up with your missile tech.  They also have the advantage of being able to target a specific part of a ship.  Missiles can't really do that.  So with drones you can take out that huge antimatter projector from afar, while with missiles you kinda have to just fire off a macross and hope for the best.  Drones also can't really overkill.  If you fire off 30 missiles and the ship blows up at missile # 3 the rest of those missiles are wasted.  Drones just retarget and keep shooting.

My advanced drones with dual phazors seemed to out damage my missileboats fairly well.  I imagine they can do more damage per second than missiles can at similar tech.  But like missiles they lose out on most of their advantage fighting close up.

In my experience, if a cruiser size up doesnt have PD, its just a target in space. The AI knows this, and thats why almost all of their ships have it, rendering drones useless till you research fusion drives and swarm them on cruisers or higher.

However, I have never played against a human player, they are probably more effective.

Personally, im more of a mass driver dude, AP rounds wreck havoc. I destroy more Hiver cruisers with my wimpy hulled Morrigi cruisers than I lose cruisers.  Of course, late game I tech up energy, since its way more powerful with a lot of research.

And finally, thanks for the population advice. I will have to check that out later.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2010, 11:57:03 am »

Has anyone gotten to play with gravity shields? Oh god they're fun. Rare tech, but FUN.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2010, 12:30:00 pm »

The thing I probably like the most about combat in SotS is the way mass drivers work. Especially heavy drivers. Just about in any game all you see is shots hitting the ship ad nauseam, and then the ship explodes. Heavy drivers actually knock the ship away on impact. That's something you don't see in games like this a lot. Even among space sim games the only time I've seen it was in Independence War 2.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2010, 02:26:58 pm »

Space...dolphins?

Might need to try this.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2010, 03:45:07 pm »

Space...dolphins?

Might need to try this.
Psychic space dolphins.

Who don't actually die of old age but just get bigger and bigger.

So big that another race actually uses their skulls for the prow of their cruisers.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2010, 03:48:36 pm »

I must get back into this, its such a fun game.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 03:51:28 pm »

The thing I probably like the most about combat in SotS is the way mass drivers work. Especially heavy drivers. Just about in any game all you see is shots hitting the ship ad nauseam, and then the ship explodes. Heavy drivers actually knock the ship away on impact. That's something you don't see in games like this a lot. Even among space sim games the only time I've seen it was in Independence War 2.

And firing the shot doesn't push your ship backward too? ???
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2010, 03:54:01 pm »

Hehe, no. But I suppose there's just good recoil compensation systems.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2010, 03:56:10 pm »

Oh yea, my humans had a visit from Von Neumann. He basically came by, send his diplomats to say hi against my defense platforms. The Defense Platforms were so overjoyed they exploded so the diplomats decided to trade their laserbeams for my citizens and resources and left again...
 And thanks for the tips, I've already started building cruisers but I don't have the missile warhead and propulsion technologies yet.
Well, I'm off for some goodnight sleep now, this game stole it from me :( :P

There will be Fun Stuff if you successfully fend off a Von Neumann attack (not sure if you have to actually kill it or just stalemate it for the Fun Stuff).

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2010, 04:03:37 pm »

Oh yea, my humans had a visit from Von Neumann. He basically came by, send his diplomats to say hi against my defense platforms. The Defense Platforms were so overjoyed they exploded so the diplomats decided to trade their laserbeams for my citizens and resources and left again...
 And thanks for the tips, I've already started building cruisers but I don't have the missile warhead and propulsion technologies yet.
Well, I'm off for some goodnight sleep now, this game stole it from me :( :P

There will be Fun Stuff if you successfully fend off a Von Neumann attack (not sure if you have to actually kill it or just stalemate it for the Fun Stuff).

I...met the Fun Stuff :P Within a few turns, all of my planets were assaulted. My technology was based on defeating the original VN ships so I could hold the stronger ones off as well. Eventually found their home planet and destroyed it. Wish it rewarded you with something, that planet was so frick'n awesome :P

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2010, 04:08:01 pm »

Personally I prefer the morrigi. Morrigi cruisers with anti matter cannons, ultra violet lasers, etc. are aesthetically deadly, though battleships for morrigi are ugly.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2010, 04:11:33 pm »

Reinstalling it right now... damn you bay12forums!

Naval Yard is the latest EP, right? That's the last one I got.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2010, 04:26:50 pm »

Nonwimpy Von Neumann?

Must be in the Naval Yard expantion pack!

-must- get that the next time im on Amazon, hopefully.
Space...dolphins?

Might need to try this.
Psychic space dolphins.

Who don't actually die of old age but just get bigger and bigger.

So big that another race actually uses their skulls for the prow of their cruisers.

I didnt actually think of that, im bad with connections. XD
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2010, 04:41:28 pm »

Naval Yard is the latest EP, right? That's the last one I got.
Last one, too. SotS2 is supposed to release early 2011. I'm excited for it but I can wait. I'll probably get it at release.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 55