Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 55

Author Topic: Sword of the Stars  (Read 120329 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Sword of the Stars
« Reply #420 on: March 30, 2011, 11:39:40 am »

Overproduction (if i got the name right) is the amount of resources (eg. planet's mineral wealth) that you consumer permanently per turn in order to speed up ship building and planet growth.
If you keep it on long enough, it will drain your planet dry and make it near worthless, however turning it on for a few turns after you settle the planet can reduce the time nessasary for it to grow to full population/infrastructure massively.

One of the others is terraforming/infrastructure, one side makes it terraform faster (for better population growth), the other side increases production (which includes increasing rate of terraforming/infrastructure growth). This bar is only on newish colony worlds

The final is money/production, it determines how much production you are willing to spend on ship building/terraforming/infrastructure per turn.

Disclaimer: Been a while since i played, so i might get a name or something wrong.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 11:46:15 am by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 30, 2011, 11:48:54 am »

So, hypothetically, I could snage a border colony of my enemies, Completly strip mine it of all worth, and then essentially abandon it? I'm liking this game more and more and I haven't gotten to play yet!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 30, 2011, 11:57:20 am »

So, hypothetically, I could snage a border colony of my enemies, Completly strip mine it of all worth, and then essentially abandon it? I'm liking this game more and more and I haven't gotten to play yet!
Not really, the amount that you can overproduce on a planet depends on the amount of infrastructure/population you have there, and you have to kill everyone to take the planet (and generally destroy the infrastructure as well), so it will take a long time before you would be able to get to the stage where you could do it fast enough.
It's pretty sharply limited too unless you got strip mining (or mega mining, or whatever the tech is).

You might be able to pull it off with the zull and their strip mining (massively increases the amount you can overproduce) technology, but generally if you can hold a planet for 50-100 turns, its kinda pointless to purposely destroy it, since they won't get it back.

Honestly, massive bombing works just as well, since with enough you can hit their planet with a few hundred terraforming damage (and late enough game you can deal so much damage to a planet that no one can ever live their again) and kill everyone+infrastructure.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 30, 2011, 12:36:43 pm »

Just as lemon said, while you cant drain a planet fast enought by normal means as the rate is 2% per turn, there are certain tech that allow you to have ships to do that specifically. Strip minning ships, that with 5 or 6 of those you can drain dry a planet in a couple of turns, leaving it as an sterile rock, then fly back to your systems and add some of the mined rished to your worlds. Pretty much as the SpaceBalls empire xD

Plus, the tech also accelerates the process of the normal overharvest to 10% (still not fast enought I think)

http://sots.rorschach.net/Mega-Strip_Mining

http://sots.rorschach.net/Mining_Section

This mission section is used to strip an uninhabited system of resources quickly and efficiently. Unfortunately, it results in a large amount of Overharvesting, resulting in a drop in the long-term output ability of the target system. The capacity of a mining section varies depending upon the race that built it but around 500 resource units is a good approximation.

According to the chart, on average each ship drain like 100 resources per turn (and double with strip mining tech, to 200 per ship). With a 6 ship fleet you need only 4 turns to turn a rich 5000 resource planet into a barren world. Plus you get to enrich back some of yours (25% of the mined resources) :p

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 30, 2011, 12:40:41 pm »

So I wouldn't have to colonze it, just eradicate the entire population? Bonus!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 30, 2011, 03:14:36 pm »

stripping planets from all minerals is verry easy in sots. you can use cruiser sized miners to do so. after this you can drop them to one of your production core worlds to boost it.
however, a planet with 0 minerals is not sterile and will even have a (low) production. its population still will generate income. it will take some time to build up the infra and climate, but with higher techs thats not a big issue.

if you want to sterilize a planet, there are a lot of weapons capable of messing up a planets climate hazard beyond repairability. with low techs, missles works best.
however, usualy you would not want to sterilize a world, but capture it as intact (and if you have the amoc expansion) as many foreign civilian population as possible.
low tech laser do minor damage to infra and climate,  so i usually bring specialized planet killer cruisers during the whole game.

read the part "weapon ch damage" of this wikipage to learn how to use weapons ch damage to push planets into your optimal by atomic transforming.

Krelian

• Bay Watcher
  • Hola
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: April 10, 2011, 03:09:56 am »

The complete collection is for 7 USD (next 5 days)

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOTSCC/sword-of-the-stars-complete-collection

New offer, another page have the complete collection, this time for 6 USD. I dont know for how long however.

http://www.direct2drive.com/9546/product/Buy-Sword-of-the-Stars-Complete-Collection-Download

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: April 10, 2011, 03:40:11 am »

Making a planet entirely uninhabitable for anybody is difficult, if not impossible in some games. Odds are that you are making it more habitable for someone else out there. Possibly even you.

Plus, even when using the highest hazard weapons, you'll probably obliterate the entire population of the planet before it turns into a barren wasteland. Though you are likely to do significant damage, which will hinder any regrowth of the target empire. Certainly a valid goal.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #428 on: April 10, 2011, 09:58:18 am »

Just spam missiles. Anti-matter warheads + 3 or 4 dreadnoughts, all medium turrets are missiles.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: April 10, 2011, 05:05:34 pm »

jeah, missiles or if you have them even more so meson beams will make planets inhabitable for all races.
anyway, my question never has been how to make a glass ball, but how to get the planet as habitable for me as possible.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: April 11, 2011, 01:23:23 am »

Use lots and lots of colonizers.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #431 on: April 11, 2011, 02:04:22 am »

This is the easiest way to get colonies up and running quick. Each colonizer you use increases the initial population and the amount of infrastructure you start with. Biome colonizers also give bonus terraforming.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: April 11, 2011, 10:11:17 am »

This is the easiest way to get colonies up and running quick. Each colonizer you use increases the initial population and the amount of infrastructure you start with. Biome colonizers also give bonus terraforming.

Yea, more colonisers usually causes a drastic decrease in the overall cost of the colony as well. See colonising strategies

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: October 19, 2011, 01:42:42 pm »

Bump. Sword of the Stars: Complete is $5 on Steam and Gamersgate.

This is because SotS2 is coming out the 28th.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #434 on: October 19, 2011, 02:17:52 pm »

This is because SotS2 is coming out the 28th.
Squeeee! I had forgotten. Thanks, now the next 9 days will be super slow because I'll be waiting for it.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 55