Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mud and clay as building material?  (Read 4930 times)

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mud and clay as building material?
« on: August 04, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »

With the introduction of other civs that don't usually carve their dwellings out of rock, and might not even live near rock, we'd need some other building materials. How about a clay industry? It'd be useful not only for clay and mud bricks for construction, but could also (in combination with a kiln) be used to produce pottery, something which would help your storage needs. At least when it comes to food items.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mud and clay as building material?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 04:29:00 pm »

Mud and clay buildings I wouldn't particularly like.

However clay pots instead of food barrels, or as a decoration (similar to statues) or as a trade good would be something I'd like to see...

Clay pits would be built, vertical downwards shafts near the water, similar to a mineral.

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 04:32:00 pm »

pottery as a whole would rock.

Its a whole alternate material to go alongside wood, stone and metal.

Plus if you dig it out of the river or something i suppose it does count as a renewable resource...

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

The Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 06:49:00 pm »

I must agree with pottery. It would be a perfect addition,also must be able to be bought from elves and men. At least men. However, I seriously doubt dwarves would use mud buildings. Though a hardened clay dropping trap might be fancy.
h34R my 1337 masterwork turtle bone crossbows of doom!

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 03:44:00 am »

Well, we weren't talking about dwarves exclusively:

quote:
With the introduction of other civs that don't usually carve their dwellings out of rock...

I agree that other suitably advanced civilizations might have figured out how to build sturdy dwellings out of mud based materials. Bricks for example.

A lurker has sprung from ambush!

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 02:55:00 am »

Pottery would be great. You'd need wood to burn it though, or a magma pottery (even though that might be a tad too hot). Large pots for barrels, small pots for buckets (for bringing water not to be used in wells), etc.
[DEMONLORD]

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2007, 11:18:00 am »

Magma Kiln is already in.

Poil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2007, 12:36:00 pm »

True, but it is designed to melt glass not to burn clay.

Clay is baked at around 150°C and glass is made at over ten times that.

[ August 06, 2007: Message edited by: Poil ]

[DEMONLORD]

Chaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mist Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 01:17:00 pm »

Does the mud get glassy (glass-like that is) if it gets burnt at those temperatures or does it just break?
A lurker has sprung from ambush!

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 01:37:00 pm »

I would imagine bricks will be added eventually...
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 06:12:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Haedrian:
<STRONG>Mud and clay buildings I wouldn't particularly like.</STRONG>

Why not?  I think it was a Neal Stevenson book that said something like "there are nine billion people on the planet, and at any given time the majority of them are busy baking mud bricks or field-stripping their AK-47s"

sience-fiction hyperbolie aside, this is basically true.  the bulk of the worlds population lives in some pretty impoverished areas and, from rural asia to urban india to africa to south america, they build with mud bricks when they dont have anything better.

and with the price (free!) and ease of construction (stack 'em up!) and quality of insulation (beats the hell out of a wooden / sheet metal shack), its little supprise that they dont have anything better.  and this is the MODERN AGE!  the practice of making adobe bricks has existed longer than we've had written language or recorded history.

honestly, i cant imagine why a human civilization would build with anything ELSE.  of course, some wikipheliac is probably going to come along and prove me wrong now...

Rhinosaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 12:25:00 am »

I'm onboard with mud bricks. Seems great for non Dwarf races who live in places without lots of wood available, and would be an interesting dynamic for the dwarves themselves.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2007, 10:58:00 am »

'wikipheliac' here... just caught a few links that I found interesting, the first about bricks in general and the second about sun baked mud bricks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mudbrick

to paraphrase, there are quite a few different ways of making bricks, and I see no reason NOT to have pottery work or brick making in the game as alternate sources of whatever, food storage, building construction, etc..

p.s. oh one more thing.. according to the wiki gods, pottery is fired at around 1000°C
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottery#Firing

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 06:05:00 pm »

I can see bricks as a good alternative for building bridges and workshops, though I can't imagine how you'd make a door out of them.

Then again I can't imagine how to make a door completely out of stone either, and still they do.

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 08:38:00 pm »

Well just because a new material is added doesn't mean it has to be able to build =anything=. Every material in DF is somewhat limited as to what you can make out of it, no metal beds and no wooden battleaxes.

It almost makes too much sense to add clay material now, we can already gather sand from the river banks. Since the next version of DF will do away with the classic cliff-face and let you dig down wherever you like, it seems plausible we'll start to dig through regular dirt areas which may yield 'chunks of dirt' or clay or whatever that can be formed into mud or clay things.

I'd rather see the next release made public before pottery and such is added though.   :) Just can't wait.

I don't see a problem with kilns that presently make glass also being used to make pottery. If they need a different temperature then all they need to do is work the bellows less/more or hold the material closer/farther from the heat.

[ August 11, 2007: Message edited by: Stromko ]

Pages: [1] 2