Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Milk: the best embark food in the game?!?  (Read 7262 times)

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
Milk: the best embark food in the game?!?
« on: April 14, 2010, 08:07:08 pm »

I was considering getting some barrels of blood to bring with me on embark (just because ;) ), and I noticed something very interesting: milk only costs 1 dwarfbuck!  Yes, at half the price of everything else, milk appears to be the best bulk food buy on the market- I'm even considering giving one of my starting dwarves cheesemaker!!!  :o :o :o :o :o
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 10:11:10 pm by Arkenstone »

Quote from: Retro
Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

The EPIC Dwarven Drinking Song of Many Names

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Caffienatedjedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Milk: the best embark food in the game?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:59:15 pm »

Can you even make cheese from milk? Whenever I try to make cheese I get a cancellation message because my cheese maker is currently handling a dangerous animal. I also always find at least 3 animals in the workshop when I go to check why he canceled.
By that logic, wagons are the gods of war.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:24:03 pm »

Are they by chance purring maggots?  That's where dwarven 'milk' comes from...  :P *puking*

Dwarven economics are still in the experimental stages. The humans have told them that they need to throw a lot of money around to get things going, but every time the dwarves try all they just end up with a bunch of coins lying all over the place.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about logic/computing; I'm majoring in the topic.

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:46:38 pm »

I have one more thing to say: -cow's milk roast [50]-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:00:08 pm »

Minced cow's milk!?
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Arkenstone

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfect Clear Diamond
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:10:27 pm »

lol, yes! :D

As I said earlier, it's half the price of minced beer, so it's perfect for importing!

Boingboingsplat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 10:24:28 pm »

Will Milk roasts melt in a dwarf's hands as they eat them like a booze roast?

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 10:45:23 pm »

Will Milk roasts melt in a dwarf's hands as they eat them like a booze roast?

If a dwarf used its hands when eating

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 12:43:03 am »

I have one more thing to say: -cow's milk roast [50]-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2010, 12:51:08 am »

Can you even make cheese from milk? Whenever I try to make cheese I get a cancellation message because my cheese maker is currently handling a dangerous animal. I also always find at least 3 animals in the workshop when I go to check why he canceled.

Do you, by any chance, have your jobs set up as

Milk Creature/R
Make/Cheese/R

or similar?

If so, then your cancellation message is because the milking dwarf is moving the milked cow/horse/maggot out of the workshop.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 02:13:44 am »

Do you, by any chance, have your jobs set up as

Milk Creature/R
Make/Cheese/R

or similar?

If so, then your cancellation message is because the milking dwarf is moving the milked cow/horse/maggot out of the workshop.
I think it'll simply be because the animal is caged. It's bugged so that once the milker brings it out, it automatically queues a contradictory 'assign animal to cage' job, and tries to put it back. A fix is simply to let your cattle wander; or it may also work if you temporarily turn off all animal hauling labours.

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 02:29:13 am »

We need a ranch activity zone. A meeting zone for domestic animals.

Xehon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 05:12:21 am »

We need a ranch activity zone. A meeting zone for domestic animals.

I haven't checked yet, but can't you restrict animals to a burrow now?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 08:00:47 am »

I haven't checked yet, but can't you restrict animals to a burrow now?
No.

What you can do is build chains next to your farmer's workshop and chain the milkable animals up there.  When it comes time for milking, the milker dwarf will unchain the animal, take it to the workshop, milk it, and then return it to the chain.  At least in theory - there's a chance that another dwarf might grab the animal and take it back to the chain in the process, which is why you want to make the chains as close as possible to the workshop.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

lordkrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 08:30:45 am »

Are there any bugs with cooking milk?

Also, milk comes 100 to a barrel in my experiments, so you get shafted as far as barrels are concerned.  Taking one of every kind of meat as well solves this problem.
Pages: [1] 2