Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Water / magma submarine  (Read 113347 times)

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water / magma submarine
« Reply #180 on: May 11, 2010, 02:12:48 am »

You know, you could probably save the miner too through prompt usage of the airlock as soon as he channels out the roof.  If you leave the upper hatch unlocked, he should go through it into the airlock, at which point you quickly lock it again and then pull the lever to open the bottom hatch.  At this point, you can attach the upper hatch to it's lever and deconstruct the stairway leaving a fully functional airlock with no cost of dwarven life!

You might have to make the constructed stairway up/down.

I considered this, but Dwarves need to be able to stand beside the hatch to attach a mechanism when linking it up to a lever.

If you operated the airlock immediately the dwarf might be able to get back into the submarine, but it depends on how a dwarf reacts to suddenly being deep underwater - because the staircase is still there he might not fall into the safe chamber in the middle, and he has no reason to path in that direction because the second hatch is closed.

I'll build an underwater version to test once I find a suitable embark.

Edit: It might be possible if you had the second hatch unlinked/unlocked, since you can gain access to this after the top is sealed by removing the constructed wall. This way the dwarf would path downwards, but you'd need to be quick on pulling the lever: there would be a very high risk of flooding unless you were able to close the top hatch quickly. Maybe lock the lower hatch with the [q] menu once the dwarf has pathed towards it (until the top hatch has been closed).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:20:59 am by Dave Mongoose »

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 11, 2010, 02:55:37 am »

The whole point of bdog/Keldor's hammer is that it won't have a big pipe left going to the surface.

It's just a couple of pages back, guys. Not that hard to find.

Apologies for asking again, my computer was having trouble getting the code to show properly. I've seen what I need to see now.
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2010, 04:05:08 am »

If the problem is in constructed ceiling crushing the dwarf, maybe we can go with setup like this (side view)?
Code: [Select]
#_######
#~##~@~#
#~~~~~~#
########
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2010, 07:22:49 am »

Any ceiling, natural or constructed falls to the lowest Z level it possibly can. Any sort of air bubble will be smooshed, crushing the dwarf. The only ways I know of to get a bubble (open space between floor/ceiling) down there is to either form it on the way down (releasing water/lava as it falls) or to have a pipe going up to the surface and digging it out.

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2010, 08:13:17 am »

Does this work for all types of ceiling? Like, closed hatches or lowered drawbridges? What about floor grates to stop falling ceiling?
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

Vector_Matt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2010, 09:59:20 am »

All constructions de-construct when they fall, so grates, bridges etc won't help, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 10:08:50 am by Vector_Matt »
So...he's the Dwarf Fortress equivalent of Darth Vader?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:51 am »

Going back a few pages, to the discussion of the hammer method; I outlined a method for building and then removing an obsidian damn for building a dwarven rapture in this post. Doing this, windows, doorways, golden underwater statue gardens, all are possible.

The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 11, 2010, 10:42:34 am »

Going back a few pages, to the discussion of the hammer method; I outlined a method for building and then removing an obsidian damn for building a dwarven rapture in this post. Doing this, windows, doorways, golden underwater statue gardens, all are possible.

I like this idea, but how are you going to get walls linked to just one support underwater? They'd fall to the ocean floor, and be touching that. Miners would drown, wouldn't they? Good idea (I always thought it'd be nice to actually have windows underwater instead of walls), I'm just not sure how it could be implemented. Do you have a method for it already?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 11, 2010, 11:07:35 am »

If you look closely, every thing inside the walls is pumped dry. You then dig 2 tiles out from the base of the wall, leaving the roof intact (so water still can't get in) and have a support built anywhere underneath.

That said, 2 points;

1) the support isn't technically necessary, it merely allows a chance to remove your casting facilities at the roof of the wall before demolition.

and

2) I didn't spot it at the time, but you'd have to dig the outer sapping trench 2 tiles deep, otherwise the collapsed obsidian would actually support the wall unless it was entirely simultaneous.

e.g.
   #~~~
   #~~~
   #~~~
   #~~~
_  #___
#__ I #    I = support
### #_#
### ###
### ###
### ###
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:09:49 am by Osmosis Jones »
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2010, 11:25:17 am »

Going back a few pages, to the discussion of the hammer method; I outlined a method for building and then removing an obsidian dam for building a dwarven rapture in this post. Doing this, windows, doorways, golden underwater statue gardens, all are possible.

Smart idea - I was planning something like this but couldn't think how to remove the walls afterwards: now I know :D !

The submarine idea here is aiming to set up on the seabed without draining any water. The original plan was to have no surface connection at all, but because of the way cave-ins work there needs to be an access shaft for any dwarves to get down there alive.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2010, 11:36:26 am »

If you look closely, every thing inside the walls is pumped dry. You then dig 2 tiles out from the base of the wall, leaving the roof intact (so water still can't get in) and have a support built anywhere underneath.

That said, 2 points;

1) the support isn't technically necessary, it merely allows a chance to remove your casting facilities at the roof of the wall before demolition.

and

2) I didn't spot it at the time, but you'd have to dig the outer sapping trench 2 tiles deep, otherwise the collapsed obsidian would actually support the wall unless it was entirely simultaneous.

e.g.
   #~~~
   #~~~
   #~~~
   #~~~
_  #___
#__ I #    I = support
### #_#
### ###
### ###
### ###

I'm still not seeing a way to collapse the walls without water getting to your miners though. To cause a cave in, the walls have to be not touching anything connected to land. Your latest design accounts for that, but I don't see how you can dig this trench without sacrificing a miner to drowning, or at all if the wall is longer than 1 tiles (still the same thickness and height). I still like your idea, I just think there may be some issues to work out.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2010, 12:19:11 pm »

[...]

I'm still not seeing a way to collapse the walls without water getting to your miners though. To cause a cave in, the walls have to be not touching anything connected to land. Your latest design accounts for that, but I don't see how you can dig this trench without sacrificing a miner to drowning, or at all if the wall is longer than 1 tiles (still the same thickness and height). I still like your idea, I just think there may be some issues to work out.

That diagram doesn't illustrate it, but if you follow his link to the other thread he states that you cast another block of obsidian and drop that to smash the floors around the outside.

From above:

~~~~~~~~~
~#######~
~#~~~~~#~
~#~XXX~#~
~#~X X~#~
~#~XXX~#~
~#~~~~~#~
~#######~
~~~~~~~~~

X = dam
# = one-level high 'floor-breaker'

This way you don't need to mine out the floors, and all of your dwarves can be safely evacuated.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2010, 02:02:28 pm »

D'oh, I knew I had to be missing something there. For example, the whole main point. Thanks, I'll go work on my reading comprehension. Awesome idea, and I'm glad it should work.

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2010, 09:26:23 pm »

Yah, and that said, i'll probably go add the complete process to the wiki when I have time later tonight. Dwarven Raptures for all!

Ralith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 14, 2010, 11:04:33 pm »

So can I stick adamantine armored and crossbowed dwarves in little pods, drop them from 100 z-levels up, and have them fight off sieges from the outside of my (sealed) tower?

awwesome
Sig to be updated momentarily.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18