Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31

Author Topic: Gentlemanne of Natural Philosophie!  (Read 44190 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Gentlemanne of Natural Philosophie!
« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2010, 05:34:09 am »

Ponder the possibilty of the pain gun using human life force or soul to power itself, and try and find out why would feedback be bad
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2010, 05:34:45 am »

Install the pump, return home. When home, create simple cantrips and alarms to detect intruders, a system that can be modified by us to allow certain people access to our abode.

thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis its funny what this started in the elf thread
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2010, 06:21:16 am »

Consider designs (just spending time thinking, not drawing up complete designs) for a steam-powered power gauntlet, which can provide much greater force than our hand but without loss of dexterity. If it's too heavy, briefly look into magical methods of decreasing an object's weight.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2010, 06:38:49 am »

Consider designs (just spending time thinking, not drawing up complete designs) for a steam-powered power gauntlet, which can provide much greater force than our hand but without loss of dexterity. If it's too heavy, briefly look into magical methods of decreasing an object's weight.

good idea we do thiiiiiiiiiiiis
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2010, 06:55:02 am »

Ponder our other "Magical hacks", as they are such brilliant things that we feel the need to repeat them to our selves.

Look into the storage of life force within inanimate objects.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2010, 06:57:38 am »

Install the pump, return home. When home, create simple cantrips and alarms to detect intruders, a system that can be modified by us to allow certain people access to our abode.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2010, 08:09:58 am »

After following the above idea, credit of me, consider ways to make teh monies.

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2010, 08:14:44 am »

After following the above idea, credit of me, consider ways to make teh monies.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2010, 09:14:11 am »

What do you mean you have not made the pump yet? You only made the steam engine? Argh!
You quickly rectify the problem by heading back into your forge and making the pump as well.
Three weeks since you returned home, when the pump is all but finished, there is a knocking upon the door of your forge. How odd!
When you go to see who it is, there is only a letter lying on the ground outside. Though using your amazing powers of deduction you figure yon fleeing peasant may well have left it here after he delivered the weekly basket of food.
You set aside your hammer for the moment, and open the letter. It is from an old friend of yours. He writes to you from the University. In the letter, he urges you not to take up Science without an official License. He points out that the Institute did this for your own good. He reminds you that dozens died that day, and that Science does not take precedence over right and wrong. He urges you again not to take up science again. Buy some farms, he says. Enter the business world. Maybe in a few years the Institute will give you a new License.
This is ludicrous! This goes against everything that is right and proper! This is.. this is code!
Yes! Encoded in the letter is a message. 'Nsttút Nspctr cming after 4 weeks discharge'

If this is correct, an Inspector is coming in just seven days! What now?

It is 21 days since you returned home. It is early in the afternoon.

Spoiler: Your Various Things (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Your Many Learnings (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2010, 09:33:02 am »

Buy some farms! Hide the pump in the basement or somewhere, possibly bury it. If the pain pistol does not look like a ordinary pistol disguise it as one. Place all your notes and books in a safe place as well. Buy some farms! Panick panick! And get to work on that aforementioned warning system thingiemabob!

Samthere

• Bay Watcher
  • RRRRRAAAAAAOR! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2010, 09:34:07 am »

Find a place to hide our books, magic-related stuff and steam engine and use the forge to bang out a few figurines of various nice things. After all, we have, of course, taken the time since we got back to pursue simple arts and pleasures, and have not been doing any science whatsoever.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2010, 09:34:50 am »

Opening your magic tome, research the following:

>Hiding objects from vision
>Hiding self from vision
>Methods to magically determine someone's intentions
>Adapting magical sheilds to protect an area from intrusion
>Activating magic via command words
>Ways to have magic differentiate between yourself and other people
>Ways to change to way a magical object acts without completely reconstructing it

After researching those:

>Hide all signs of magic
>Hide all signs of science
>Start a vegetable plot

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 07, 2010, 09:36:57 am »

On a sillier and not to be taken at all in a serious way note, do some research on any sort of assassin's organization that exists and how much it would cost to have the leaders of the insitute and the inspector assassinated, if less than 300 of whatever currency it is we have again them hire them, but only if they are competent.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 07, 2010, 09:41:46 am »

(The power feedback is one of your favourite 'Hacks', or Magical Rule Breakers. No spell you have ever found uses it. One spellbook did mention that you should never even consider doing it because of the terrible damage that will befall, but it has always worked fine for you. Apart from that one time... but there were... 'factors' at hand that, well, nullified the validity of any conclusions one might draw.)
One factor which you have yet to understand is the necessity for human operation. The weapon utilizes simple Runic Enchantments, which do not require a human user, but a machine or animal could pull the trigger of this thing all day long and it would merely wear out the mechanisms.
Is this feedback EXPONENTIAL, or can be made such? :o
Exponential power increase + some kind of explosion spell such as a fireball = Shroom cloud!

Also, damn shame abaut the shelds...

Anyyway, for now do all the hiding actions sugested, meanwhile we will just POUNDER verius things, withoute even puting them to paper.

Such as, for example, if magic fire could be used instead of coal in a steam engine?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2010, 10:00:23 am »

(The power feedback is one of your favourite 'Hacks', or Magical Rule Breakers. No spell you have ever found uses it. One spellbook did mention that you should never even consider doing it because of the terrible damage that will befall, but it has always worked fine for you. Apart from that one time... but there were... 'factors' at hand that, well, nullified the validity of any conclusions one might draw.)
One factor which you have yet to understand is the necessity for human operation. The weapon utilizes simple Runic Enchantments, which do not require a human user, but a machine or animal could pull the trigger of this thing all day long and it would merely wear out the mechanisms.
Is this feedback EXPONENTIAL, or can be made such? :o
Exponential power increase + some kind of explosion spell such as a fireball = Shroom cloud!
That might be why it should never even be considered. Accidentally make an infinite loop and things will go very poorly for you... and the rest of the world.

I don't think there is much chance of our tools being found. The institute searched our home once and failed to find their hiding spot. The main thing we should do is clean up any evidence of our magical rituals and find a place to hide our steam pump. Maybe we could construct a small hut in the woods somewhere to hide our new stuff in. A week should be enough time for the construction of a tiny wooden shack, especially since the townspeople could probably provide us with pre-cut logs.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 31