Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55

Author Topic: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread  (Read 213767 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The DF 0.31.04 Work-In-Progress Thread
« Reply #375 on: May 18, 2010, 03:35:40 pm »

@foop: I've had that problem on my macbook pro.  For whatever reason it's doesn't like the "delete" as a "Backspace" key.  I fixed it by editing interface.txt by hand and finding and changing these lines:

[BIND:STRING_A000:REPEAT_SLOW]
[SYM:0:Delete]
Thank you. I kept asking for how to fix this. It needs to be made default.

The problem with making it default is that "Backspace" and "Delete" send different keycodes, so changing it by default would probably make "Backspace" stop working.  (I only have the Macbook Pro which just has the "delete" so I can't say for sure if a Mac keyboard with a "Backspace" key would stop working with the change.)  Baughn might be able to shed some light on it, since this is probably a SDL-input related thing.

Probably is. Game ought to come with 4 preset groups of key configs: full keyboard, laptop; then a mac version thereof (delete instead of backspace). Those seem to get the most question threads on the forum.

It can depend on the laptop configuration. While my laptop does have a keypad, many laptops don't, especially the smaller laptops.

Edit: Speaking of key configs, when I was looking at the keybindings the other day for this, I noticed that there wasn't a keybinding option to exit out of the embark screen, maybe thats why the esc key isn't working for those? I know Toady wants to concentrate on merge bugs here, but I was just having an inspiration flash of how the bug I had mentioned earlier could be connected.

Or maybe compare the screen keybindings for the embark screen between 40D and 31.##?

I'll let you guys get back to the merge related stuff.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:47:56 pm by smjjames »

CaveLobsterShell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 18, 2010, 04:30:11 pm »

I just had all my dwarves die suddenly during the rain in a v0.31.04 game on a scorching beach. Also, the ocean had no fish. Looks like the rain bug is still around.

It was a bug in worldgen. You'll need to gen a new world to avoid it.
The funniest part being a dwarf actually butchered the stupid thing.  Necrotic poison is the tastiest of spices.

lumikant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://twilightmu.org
« Reply #377 on: May 18, 2010, 04:36:06 pm »

I've had no issues with sound in Ubuntu, only the crash when trying to create a squad.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 18, 2010, 04:54:09 pm »

The problem with making it default is that "Backspace" and "Delete" send different keycodes, so changing it by default would probably make "Backspace" stop working.  (I only have the Macbook Pro which just has the "delete" so I can't say for sure if a Mac keyboard with a "Backspace" key would stop working with the change.)  Baughn might be able to shed some light on it, since this is probably a SDL-input related thing.

Probably is. Game ought to come with 4 preset groups of key configs: full keyboard, laptop; then a mac version thereof (delete instead of backspace). Those seem to get the most question threads on the forum.
It would definitely be nice to have a couple present layouts (especially one for laptops), but in this case it should work fine to simply bind both keys:
Code: [Select]
[BIND:STRING_A000:REPEAT_SLOW]
[SYM:0:Backspace]
[SYM:0:Delete]
Akur Akir Akam!

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 18, 2010, 05:55:17 pm »

Well, I have tried just about everything - I simply cannot play the new version (Legacy works fine, of course.) due to the horrid framerate, regardless of my init settings. I hope to god toady keeps up with legacy versions. I'd hate to have to stop. I know a new computer would probably fix this, but I simply cannot afford one. All I have is a T2082 Emachine with 1 gig of ram. It cant really run anything from after 2007. Im dealing with it, though.

Anyway, great job on the new version, again, toady, regardless of my issue. You did well on the merge.

AbacusWizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Trust me; I'm a mathematician.
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 18, 2010, 05:55:42 pm »

Mac version? Woohoo! Thank you Toady!

*plays for a while*

The new underground is fantastick. The new military system is bizarre but I can see how useful it will be once I get used to it.

Has anyone else noticed that smithing goblets out of gold ends up producing iron goblets instead?

sbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 18, 2010, 06:03:32 pm »

Mac version? Woohoo! Thank you Toady!

*plays for a while*

The new underground is fantastick. The new military system is bizarre but I can see how useful it will be once I get used to it.

Has anyone else noticed that smithing goblets out of gold ends up producing iron goblets instead?

That is a known bug since the .31 version came out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 18, 2010, 06:06:48 pm »

Well, I have tried just about everything - I simply cannot play the new version (Legacy works fine, of course.) due to the horrid framerate, regardless of my init settings. I hope to god toady keeps up with legacy versions. I'd hate to have to stop. I know a new computer would probably fix this, but I simply cannot afford one. All I have is a T2082 Emachine with 1 gig of ram. It cant really run anything from after 2007. Im dealing with it, though.

Have you tried updating your graphics drivers?

Also, what size worlds are you using, and what size sites are you embarking on?  "Averaging 80 fps at embark" isn't necessarily bad, depending on circumstances.

That is a known bug since the .31 version came out.

Yup.  Tracker entry.

bloodtoes

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 18, 2010, 06:07:26 pm »

It's a dwarf fortress lunch hour! Some notes about my experience with this in Mac and Linux. A lot of this is repeat but there might be something new.

Machines used:
Windows: Dell Desktop | Vista Business SP1 64-bit | Intel Core 2 Quad CPU (Q6700) @ 2.66 GHz | nVidia Geforce 9800 GX2
Mac: MacBook Pro | MacOS 10.6.7 | Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.66 GHz | nVidia Geforce 9600M GT
Linux: Dell Studio XPS 16 | Ubuntu 10.4 64-bit | Intel Core i5 M 540 @ 2.53GHz | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4670

In general:
- Fortress location search takes unbearably long. I actually had pretty good results with it in .03 although I heard/read it was  broken. Maybe I was just lucky. Anyway it really drags now. I can pound escape to get through it but it seems each time I hit escape it just advances to the next number rather than aborting the search, until it gets to the end.
- "Offloading Units" after world generation seems like it takes much longer on all 3 platforms than it previously used to.

On mac: Macbook Pro / MacOS 10.6.7
- Backspace/delete issue, MacBook Pro only has delete. Function+delete I think is commonly used for backspace, but did nothing.

On Linux: Dell Studio XPS laptop / Ubuntu 10.4
- Had the libncursesw error until I installed the 32-bit curses library and rebooted
- Also had the jpeg error, no option available from ubuntu repositories that I could see. Installing the library built by someone in this thread (I'd give props but I forget the name, sorry :D) to the libs/ subfolder worked just fine.
- No issues with sound. In fact I didn't realise I had sound cranked on the machine and so serenaded my coworkers with the sounds of Dwarf Fortress's intro and menu music. :D

Draw modes:
All modes worked on all 3 machines. At least I think they did. I also tested the mode "HAHARANDOMWUT" and it worked as well. Does it backpedal if a certain mode fails or is unrecognised? How I can I verify what mode is actually being used?

I need to test them on a game which drags down the game step rate as I only had new worlds to test with here. I set the G_FPS and FPS to 100 each and with all GL modes game refresh and graphics refresh would loiter between 80 and 100, with the graphics refresh matching the game refresh. 2D, 2DSW and 2DASYNC all ran at about 24 graphical fps with 100 game fps, with PARTIAL increasing graphical refresh to the cap though introducing some apparent glitches with higher values producing more glitches (I tested 2 and 15. 15 gives a nice motion trail effect.. )

ARB_SYNC did not work on any of the machines.

Previous releases had huge graphical corruption issues on the ATI machine in Windows unless I used PARTIAL mode. Those are gone.

TEXT mode is good for a cackle and works fine.

I haven't had a chance to test all this on a real game, I just generated a new world on each machine. I'm interested to see how each mode responds with my mega fortress at home.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:13:32 pm by bloodtoes »
Tekkud Udosdakost, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: interrupted by Carp.
Tekkud Udosdakost has bled to death.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 18, 2010, 07:40:45 pm »

Windows 7, X64
Radeon Mobility HD 3650

Every draw mode crashes on launch except for the 2D modes, which all work fine.
Even standard!

The last 40D# works for me for all of the 3D modes.

You probably need to update your drivers.  In fact, that goes for everyone in this thread who's getting frame rates way too low for their CPU.

Newest version of all drivers, sadly.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 18, 2010, 07:59:48 pm »

Windows 7, X64
Radeon Mobility HD 3650

Every draw mode crashes on launch except for the 2D modes, which all work fine.
Even standard!

The last 40D# works for me for all of the 3D modes.

You probably need to update your drivers.  In fact, that goes for everyone in this thread who's getting frame rates way too low for their CPU.

Newest version of all drivers, sadly.

Did you get any crash message?  If it was the "GPU unable to accommodate texture catalog" crash that everyone else has been talking about, turn off graphics.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 18, 2010, 08:10:08 pm »

No messages, graphics is off, which is why it works on any of the 2D modes.  I just get an all-white window of the correct size, and a "Dwarf Fortress.exe has stopped responding" window over top 1/10th of a second later.

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 18, 2010, 08:17:45 pm »

Oh...I'm dumb.  Downloaded GDB to see where the crash was, it was in opengl32!glColor3f, in "./opengl32.dll"  Guess I should have deleted the Accelerator when I installed over the old version :(  Runs well now, I'll post if I run into other issues lol

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 18, 2010, 08:18:42 pm »

alas poor fluffy wammbler you can now rest in peace  :'(
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 18, 2010, 08:20:50 pm »

Oh...I'm dumb.  Downloaded GDB to see where the crash was, it was in opengl32!glColor3f, in "./opengl32.dll"  Guess I should have deleted the Accelerator when I installed over the old version :(  Runs well now, I'll post if I run into other issues lol

Haha.  You get major anti-dumb points for using GDB to track it down, so it's all good.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 55