Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: WHICH ONE OF YOU DID THIS  (Read 8364 times)

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
Re: WHICH ONE OF YOU DID THIS
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 12:20:30 pm »

These sinkholes form* by the process of a underground cave weathering upwards towards the surface forming a chimney which collapses. Usually, there is a flow of water in the bottom (as a function of the weathering process), which will, over time, remove the debris of the cave-in (and any bodies buried in hundreds of tons of rubble).

Assuming you wanted to go down an unstable hole to sift through the giant pile of mud and rock, your chances of finding people are relatively slim.

If this happened under a building/road with traffic, there are almost certainly people dead, and the only way to figure out who is by working backwards from knowing who should have been there in the first place.

*As recalled from my geology lessons of years past.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 01:10:35 pm »

I Did It.
/jk
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 02:55:25 pm »

The youtube comments actually make me want to weep.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 02:58:36 pm »

I've heard 3, 11, none, and unknown.

So it's unknown.

Unsourced information is unreliable. Neither of you links a source. Anyone care to do it right?

Also, the "too soon" comment... Honestly. If DF had existed in 2001, do you think we wouldn't have discussed the WTC attacks on these forums? Naive methinks... I may be against discussion of poop\feces on these forums, but since we play games which simulate real-life environmental and construction catastrophes, it seems to make sense to discuss those here when they happen in real life.

Death is a reality, it is the truly coy and skittish who give it unnatural power by treating it with undue reverence and excuse it from the same scrutiny to which everything else in our world is subject\victim. Death interests us all, how we die, why we die, when we die, videos of dying, headlines of who's died recently. Because it looms at the end of life, ostensibly inevitable, we all find its study and circumstance to be very interesting, each in our own way. If a chasm into the underworld opened beneath your apartment and you disappeared from your city all of a sudden... Chances are you'd be dead. But you'd have died one of the more... shall we say, "stunt-worthy" deaths. Compared to going in your sleep of old age... Which doesn't get you quite the same type of impressive headstone.

So did anyone die in that collapse or no? Lucky on them if they didn't. Extra lucky if they were inside and managed to survive tumbling into the underworld. :O For those who aren't aware, nearly all of south america is crisscrossed by caverns carved out by surface water. A sinkhole exactly like that one opened in Guatemala about half a decade ago, and the picture was entirely similar (with no bottom visible). How deep do these things go? You can't just...cover it up, either. Does it become a permanent opening in that city? Do people go rappelling down it? Do they build a bridge? Evacuate 3 city blocks? All interesting stuff.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2010, 03:10:25 pm »

It seems like someone took TBM (or MTB? Whatever..) and ordered it to dig into the magma see.

Seriously though, that looks very weird

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2010, 03:24:35 pm »

Woops! Poor Guatemala City. The video I linked was a sinkhole that happened there 3 yrs ago... Here's the recent one: video.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 03:31:54 pm »

Woops! Poor Guatemala City. The video I linked was a sinkhole that happened there 3 yrs ago...

Is it wrong that I found that funny?

Also, I fear the Silver Surfer.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Intelligent Shade of Blue

• Bay Watcher
  • Sanity Loss: 0/1d4 points
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 03:44:34 pm »

Woops! Poor Guatemala City. The video I linked was a sinkhole that happened there 3 yrs ago...

Is it wrong that I found that funny?

Also, I fear the Silver Surfer.

I fear that Guatemala City might be located in China before long.
[COLOR:PRUSSIAN_BLUE]
[NAME:ISoB]
[RGB:0:49:83]

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2010, 06:57:40 pm »

Oh shoot. You guys thought I was being deadly serious.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2010, 01:45:13 pm »

Why hasn't God turned cave-ins off?

Malrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 01:54:10 pm »

Because then we'd be able to build all sorts of ridiculously high and unsupported buildings and it would be disastrous if he turned it back on again.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2010, 03:33:40 pm »

Yea, last time he turned it off all kinds of adventurers were starting to wander in the vicinity of his domain, some carrying coins!

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2010, 03:57:25 pm »

He got drunk and misplaced the Earth's init.txt.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2010, 11:17:12 am »

more details:

http://news.discovery.com/earth/dont-call-the-guatemala-sinkhole-a-sinkhole.html

I should have caught the not-a-sinkhole bit, as it does require limestone-like rocks for karsting, and we all ought to love karst.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2010, 11:58:07 am »

The youtube comments actually make me want to weep.

Youtube comments always make me weep, no matter what video.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4