Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1987010 times)

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.16] [V5.2] - FINALLY NEW!
« Reply #375 on: October 15, 2010, 03:54:05 pm »

if i had aquifers turned off before downloading the new version, can i remove them again without starting a new save, or do i not have to remove them again if the save already had them removed?

Aquifers are generated and linked to each specific world.
If you generate a world with aquifers disabled, that world will never have aquifers, even if you change the raw files.
Same if you have aquifers enabled and try to disable them. The world will ALWAYS have aquifers.

You will only get aquifers If you turn aquifers on and then generate a NEW world.
???
I have pretty often generated world, noticed that I forgot to remove the aquifers, close the game, edit the files in save's raws and launch the game. No aquifers anymore. Last time I checked it worked that way in .14, haven't done it yet in .16

It could be that if you use the program in the LNP it doesn't work, but just editing the raws in save does remove the aquifers.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 15, 2010, 05:17:58 pm »

another question, is the mayday graphics pack supposed to look retarded for .16?

Yes and no. Yes because it's not Mayday's. Mayday hasn't upgraded it yet but some people took potshots at it. No because...see above.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

noppa354

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 15, 2010, 06:23:06 pm »

thanks for answering, i hope an update comes out for mayday so it doesn't look like i have red... sponges? swiss cheese? in my walls...

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 16, 2010, 06:56:03 am »

Okay, so, here's the deal. I downloaded this pack because I fall under the ''lazy'' category, but it is not quite so handy as I would have hoped. A number of problems have arisen:

1 - data/art/curses_640x300.png is not found. Consequently, I can not start the game. The file is where it should be, though.
2 - any init settings changes do not save themselves. For example, I like to play in windowed mode so I set that setting to YES, but I still get the prompt. When I click no, problem 1 arises.
3 - the .bat settings file does not work. It says ''A folder named ''Dwarf Fortress 31.16'' does not exist!'' even though said folder is clearly present in the all-encompassing folder.

Can anybody help me out? This is a fresh install so it can't have been any of my doings that made these problems. I should also note that removing and redownloading does not help.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:14:52 pm by Wahad »

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 16, 2010, 04:54:46 pm »

Okay, so, here's the deal. I downloaded this pack because I fall under the ''lazy'' category, but it is not quite so handy as I would have hoped. A number of problems have arisen:

1 - data/art/curses_640x300.png is not found. Consequently, I can not start the game. The file is where it should be, though.
2 - any init settings changes do not save themselves. For example, I like to play in windowed mode so I set that setting to YES, but I still get the prompt. When I click no, problem 1 arises.
3 - the .bat settings file does not work. It says ''A folder named ''Dwarf Fortress 31.16'' does not exist!'' even though said folder is clearly present in the all-encompassing folder.

Can anybody help me out? This is a fresh install so it can't have been any of my doings that made these problems. I should also note that removing and redownloading does not help.
This sounds like some sort of file access problem. Are you running vista? Have you tried running things in administrator mode? Have you tried re-downloading from ANOTHER MIRROR (perhaps you downloaded a corrupted version)? Have you tried moving the folder to a non-system/protected place (like the desktop)?

I can't think of anything else. I've gotten some of those errors before though, but never from running the game manually.

???
I have pretty often generated world, noticed that I forgot to remove the aquifers, close the game, edit the files in save's raws and launch the game. No aquifers anymore. Last time I checked it worked that way in .14, haven't done it yet in .16

It could be that if you use the program in the LNP it doesn't work, but just editing the raws in save does remove the aquifers.

Huh. Well maybe it DOES change it in your world. I would imagine it doesn't remove aquifers in an existing save-game though?
I'll have to play with that.

another question, is the mayday graphics pack supposed to look retarded for .16?
Huh, even manually merging shouldn't cause too many graphical errors. Did you make sure to UPDATE your SAVEGAMES?
Else we'll have to wait for mayday, or I'll try a merge myself.

Edit: By the way, I know Runesmith has been updated. I may release an update/fix release soonish.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 05:00:52 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 16, 2010, 06:53:56 pm »

administrator mode worked. Thanks!

EDIT: Or not. It worked yesterday, but not anymore. What the hell, DF.  >:(

To clarify: I did all the things you said. It seems like there is a problem with my computer, somehow. Did version 0.31 become uncompatible with vista?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 11:49:27 am by Wahad »

vhappylurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 17, 2010, 10:47:41 pm »

It always makes me happy to see an update for this pack. Being able to have both Therapist, nice graphics (without my blind idiot fumblings to get them to work...), and dwarfhack in one easy download has especially spoilt me. You all keep up the good work!

Cypherwulfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 18, 2010, 03:38:13 am »

I noticed an issue with QuickFort not handling stockpiles correctly, so I posted a fix and explanation in that forum if anyone is interested.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=35931.msg1651316#msg1651316

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 18, 2010, 06:18:46 am »

???

Huh. Well maybe it DOES change it in your world. I would imagine it doesn't remove aquifers in an existing save-game though?
I'll have to play with that.
Ah misunderstanding there. Yes, as far as I know it doesn't work for fortress already running, but if you edit the raws of the save every new embark will have aquifers removed/added depending on which edit you did. So you need to abandon/reclaim to remove aquifers...
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 02:21:10 pm by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 18, 2010, 08:51:59 am »

First of all I would like to tell you that this is GREAT!

Just a heads-up that the Lazy Newb World usually (always?) doesn't give any seeds, booze or fish because there are only 2 cavern layers. changing it to 3 (in advanced settings) always helps me. Oh and usually it just has cavern layer 3 repeated twice (blood thorn with assorted creatures), which could both be DF bugs. Just wondering if you could change it  ;)

Anyways thanks for the pack, my friends can now bear the graphics and mind-scrambling menus for jobs and such...
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

slywolf99

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: October 20, 2010, 04:58:03 pm »

To clarify: I did all the things you said. It seems like there is a problem with my computer, somehow. Did version 0.31 become uncompatible with vista?

Vista 64x working for me man. You might have to select admin mode every time if the account your in is not an admin account. Also im pretty sure trhe problem your having is related to UAC things controlled by vista so turning it and any other programs that lock down your computer using UAC off might help. Might also help if you turn whatever account your using into an Admin account.

I love this pack :D

Falc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: October 21, 2010, 10:46:44 am »

I installed DF in some folder and then added that folder to one of the 'Libraries' thingies you have in Windows 7, maybe you have those as well in Vista? Anyway, the result is sort of the same: if I start DF from that Library folder, it can't find the font bitmaps. I have to start it from the actual folder it's in. So try that, don't use any shortcuts or other tricks.

Wahad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: October 21, 2010, 12:25:07 pm »

Vista 64x working for me man. You might have to select admin mode every time if the account your in is not an admin account. Also im pretty sure trhe problem your having is related to UAC things controlled by vista so turning it and any other programs that lock down your computer using UAC off might help. Might also help if you turn whatever account your using into an Admin account.

I have UAC off by default, my account is the admin and only account. That's not the problem.

I installed DF in some folder and then added that folder to one of the 'Libraries' thingies you have in Windows 7, maybe you have those as well in Vista? Anyway, the result is sort of the same: if I start DF from that Library folder, it can't find the font bitmaps. I have to start it from the actual folder it's in. So try that, don't use any shortcuts or other tricks.

Didn't use shortcuts, launched DF directly from the folder. (When it worked, anyway)

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: October 22, 2010, 02:09:49 am »

Thanks LucasUP!

Haven:t actually tried it (hard drive meltdown)but I have no idea how to do the things that are required to make DF pretty and user-friendly, so thanks a million...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 27, 2010, 03:38:23 pm »

I've been using this for a long time, my only problem is some of the embark area's don't have some of the items the profiles have. But this is very useful, laziness FTW.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 137