Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1986928 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.19] [V8.0] NEW! With Graphical User Interface!
« Reply #675 on: February 28, 2011, 12:42:01 pm »

welcome.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Skidge

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 28, 2011, 03:34:25 pm »

I've been playing DF for many months now and just tried out LNP for the first time with .19. Wow, I can't believe I've been ignoring it for so long. It makes all the tedious little things I twiddle so much easier. I have one request, though; I hate how the default announcements for warm/damp stone pause and recenter the game, so I always modify data/init/announcements.txt to remove that. If it's not too much work and doesn't clutter your UI too much, could you add an option for that?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Or if that won't work, an option to pop open the announcements.txt file to edit ourselves without wading through the directories would work.

Man, that makes me sound lazy, but I guess that's why I like the LNP. :)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 28, 2011, 03:43:30 pm »

sure we could make an announcements tab and editor. i'll start right now actually.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: March 01, 2011, 03:07:03 am »

I managed to get 246FPS with LNP!!! With 42 dwarves.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

JujuBubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: March 01, 2011, 03:39:51 am »

If I could I would vote again for every new version.

I don't know how to thank you Lucas for doing the fiddling for me.

I am playing DF for 3 1/2 years now and the most annyoing part of DF is to recustomize the game every time a new version comes out, especially when the Great Toad puts on his update shoes and
throws updates on a weekly to biweekly basis ..
Fixing graphic packs, searching for dwarf therapist and its prequels, fixing the inits by hand, because nearly every update includes a init update.
Fixing forts and generating worlds.  You all took that from me, so I can keep playing.

All I can say is this is a masterwork thread, all of its content is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of awesome and playersupport.
On it is a picture of Dwarf Fortress Players Idling its carved from ascii.

LucasUp has become a Legendary Community Supporter.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: March 01, 2011, 05:19:51 am »

Considering how many new players either start with Lazy Newb Pack or do most of their learning with it, I propose that you include this handy-dandy Quick Reference in the package. (Placed in the root directory, of course, where even a newbie can find it. [activate imagination for image of a caveman buying car insurance])

It may be in .PDF format, but it uses ASCII instead of images and takes up all of 45 Kilobytes.

To be fair, the Status Icons, job classes, color coding and some other things are only useful for newbies playing the ASCII version. (Which I assume some newbies do, but I can't figure out why when beautiful graphics sets are available. Except for those having some pre-existing roguelike obsession, of course. That's understandable.) But there's plenty of other info that's useful to non-ASCII players, too.

On a related subject:
I've been playing DF for many months now and just tried out LNP for the first time...
As others have recommended before, I also support the notion of having this thread "sticked" to the top of DF General Discussion. If this package is primarily geared towards newbies, then it should be made easy enough for even Lazy Newbs to find. (Can the 'thread should get sticked' thing be made into a new poll?)

But if pinning a forum topic is reserved exclusively for Toady's use, then perhaps the existence of Lazy Newb Pack should be mentioned on the front page of Magmawiki? I've read more than a few posts now where a player laments not finding out about this pack until later.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: March 01, 2011, 06:56:35 am »

Considering how many new players either start with Lazy Newb Pack or do most of their learning with it, I propose that you include this handy-dandy Quick Reference in the package. (Placed in the root directory, of course, where even a newbie can find it. [activate imagination for image of a caveman buying car insurance])

It may be in .PDF format, but it uses ASCII instead of images and takes up all of 45 Kilobytes.
I'll add it in when I finish the thing I'm working on now. This looks like a nice addition.

To be fair, the Status Icons, job classes, color coding and some other things are only useful for newbies playing the ASCII version. (Which I assume some newbies do, but I can't figure out why when beautiful graphics sets are available. Except for those having some pre-existing roguelike obsession, of course. That's understandable.) But there's plenty of other info that's useful to non-ASCII players, too.
I used ASCII while learning to get the best of both worlds, but usually go graphics now due to all the stuff with the same letters.

On a related subject:
I've been playing DF for many months now and just tried out LNP for the first time...
As others have recommended before, I also support the notion of having this thread "sticked" to the top of DF General Discussion. If this package is primarily geared towards newbies, then it should be made easy enough for even Lazy Newbs to find. (Can the 'thread should get sticked' thing be made into a new poll?)
Yes, that needs to be a poll.

But if pinning a forum topic is reserved exclusively for Toady's use, then perhaps the existence of Lazy Newb Pack should be mentioned on the front page of Magmawiki? I've read more than a few posts now where a player laments not finding out about this pack until later.
Also, it would be nice to have it listed on the wiki or even download page.
Currently working on allowing presets and such.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

Iceco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: March 02, 2011, 08:03:33 am »

I believe Stonesense is back to full compatibility (i.e. showing dwarves again), so that should be reflected in the first post.
Evidence. - At least that's what what I get from it. Haven't tested it myself, so not sure.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: March 02, 2011, 08:52:20 pm »

I believe Stonesense is back to full compatibility (i.e. showing dwarves again), so that should be reflected in the first post.
Evidence. - At least that's what what I get from it. Haven't tested it myself, so not sure.
It's true! I just tested it, and my it looks pretty! I don't know if I'll make a .19 repack with it, but manual download is easy.
.20 compatibly will probably come soon after it's release, and it will be included then.

+ Stonesense Slate
     - Download Latest Memory.xml and place in Stonesense directory for 31.19 compatibly

EDIT:
If I could I would vote again for every new version.

I don't know how to thank you Lucas for doing the fiddling for me.
[SNIP]
LucasUp has become a Legendary Community Supporter.

Why thank you! :)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:13:31 pm by LucasUP »
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: March 05, 2011, 04:00:33 am »

New YouTube Lets Play by Djrodw using Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.19] [V8.0]

Haven't watched it all, but he seems to do a very in-depth explanation of everything, using the most recent version of DF.
Note he's got MORE EPISODES (around FOUR) then what are in that playlist, hopefully he'll add the rest later, but you can find them on his channel easily enough.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: March 05, 2011, 09:54:12 am »

woah, that's awesome!
(p.s. I think I know why he made the second depot space .. one word: elves.  :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

jarodw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: March 05, 2011, 10:31:24 am »

lol elves ey?  what makes you think that?  all im trying to do is chop tree's down  :P

I am Djrodw fyi!

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: March 05, 2011, 10:51:53 am »

oh, siege defense?
remember 1-tile-bridge trick ;)

woah this needs a thread of its own.
[/derail]

partially done with updating - code not completely working yet. Also my code is slightly incomprehensible  :P
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.

jarodw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: March 05, 2011, 12:14:36 pm »

Lucas... btw I was wondering something about the LNP UI you may have noticed in the second video in my series that I sorta ran into a hiccup when I tried to go up and down in levels with the <> brackets... usually I always had to hold shift for that, but for some reason I don't have to now, plus my Numpad isnt working like it should with the DF interface, and I am wondering if that has something to do with the keybindings option you put in the UI... I dont know if I should change it as im no coder and afraid of breaking my game but is that the culprit?

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: March 05, 2011, 12:45:57 pm »

did you do laptop keybindings? that's the culprit.
My Mafia Stats
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 137