Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1985689 times)

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.0] Its HERE!
« Reply #855 on: April 03, 2011, 06:28:43 pm »

It is a more complicated issue than just that. Mono isn't just magic that makes everything work. Windows itself is more than one platform, that is why when a lot of problems arise with various utilities on the forum people have to ask "what version of windows, what dll, what blah blah." Few people understand what the word platform even means hehe.

That being said, who cares? :P A program that modifies a few ini files? You could reprogram it in a different language for mac and linux separately in less than a day lol.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 03, 2011, 07:09:57 pm »

That being said, who cares? :P A program that modifies a few ini files? You could reprogram it in a different language for mac and linux separately in less than a day lol.

Maintenance, Debugging, and Consistency.
Supporting 3 programs is always at least 3 times as much not-fun work, making the death of the project more likely.
True, if you want to support multiple OS's, it quickly becomes evident that .NET is untenable, even for trivial applications.  Mono is not worth.
NetBeans *shudder* is about the only IDE that a .NET slave could transfer to without getting too overwhelmed.
Qt is the most long-term supportable option  ...with all kinds of headaches a .NET programmer never worries about.
Multi-Platform GUI programming is still an unsolved industry problem.

"what version of windows, what dll, what blah blah."
This reminds me of a joke.
"The requirements document stated that the software needed to support multiple distinct major platforms, so with 6 additional months effort we made it support half the distributions of Windows 7 from Dell."

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 04, 2011, 06:26:15 pm »

Which is why I use QT/gcc, even for windows programming. My programs will work on any version of windows after 2000, which is something that can't really be said for programs compiled with Microsoft's own compiler heh.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Naerymdan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 04, 2011, 07:19:42 pm »

Meh.

Send me the source for you LNP and I'll write it up in java instead with butt-ugly swing (or QT) window bindings.

I'll even look into adding automatic updating of df, graphical packs and other utilities.

Because sadly, even today, java is still the way to go cross-platform (tho python is quite good at that too now)

Zasir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:33 pm »

Just wanted to say that you deserve a medal for this installer.  Thanks!

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 04, 2011, 10:49:28 pm »

Send me the source for you LNP and I'll write it up in java instead with butt-ugly swing (or QT) window bindings.

I'll even look into adding automatic updating of df, graphical packs and other utilities.

Because sadly, even today, java is still the way to go cross-platform (tho python is quite good at that too now)
I'd like to say that, even though I'm just a Windows user (so far), if you can convert it to java, more power to you. It seems like there are a lot of DF fans who use an OS besides Windows.

I recall reading that the LNP GUI currently calls a batch file or something to launch DF and the utilities and that, apparently, this was the only way they could do it in Visual Basic. And while this works most of the time, I have had trouble launching certain utilities. And I don't like the idea of creating temporary batch files just to launch and then deleting them. (It tends to fragment the hard disk.)

If it was converted to java, those programs could probably be launched more directly.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 04, 2011, 10:53:39 pm »

well I really doubt LucasUP knows  java, and I'm about as rusty as the Status of Liberty on java, this would probably have to be non-official, or a secondary thing.

but thanks for the offer! I'll have to talk to lucas.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sjotrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 05, 2011, 10:22:42 am »

Great pack! :D helps me alot!

But, it`s not compatible with european keyboards? my plus and minus key dont work... i must use a whole different key to scroll up and down.

i use the "lazy newb" option under keybindings. and yes, i`m on a laptop.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.1] Updates
« Reply #863 on: April 05, 2011, 05:12:55 pm »

[0.31.25] [V9.1] Released
Added: More Quickfort Blueprints (in both versions)
Added: Ironhand April Fools day edition
Update: Phoebus Graphics 32.25v06
Update: Soundsense r27
Update: DFHack 0.5.12

That's quite the offer! Are you sure you're up for it? I don't know Java so It would be hard for me/Tolyk to update (although I learned a tiny bit once, and am a fast learner). I'm slightly wary of relying on others, as we've had some troubles with communication and people falling through at the expense of development.

But, it`s not compatible with european keyboards? my plus and minus key dont work... i must use a whole different key to scroll up and down.
You're welcome! You might have to make your own Keybindings. When you're playing DF, press escape and then select Keybindings. Uou can change any key to whatever you want. Its a bit daunting though. This might help.  I don't have a euro keyboard so I can't see what the problem is or make one myself.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 05, 2011, 06:23:34 pm »

You're welcome! You might have to make your own Keybindings. When you're playing DF, press escape and then select Keybindings. Uou can change any key to whatever you want. Its a bit daunting though. This might help.  I don't have a euro keyboard so I can't see what the problem is or make one myself.
Not that it matters much, but there isn't really such a thing as an "european keyboard". Each localized version has most of the special characters lain out differently... and then there's the whole AZERTY thing (damn french).
EDIT: what I meant is that making something that's compatible with and easy to use in all the layouts is pretty much impossible.
I use the >< buttons - which means pressing Alt+Shift+, and . respectively. Well, that or I switch to the US layout.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 06:25:48 pm by Oglokoog »
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 06, 2011, 09:52:44 pm »

I love this download. Many, many thanks!!

Two questions, however...

First, what exactly does "Liquid Depth" do?

Second, it's probably just me but the tooltip for Exotic Animals doesn't seem very clear.

"When turned off, exotic animals can be easily tamed..." Options are YES and NO.

So saying No Exotic Animals means you can easily get them? Or Yes means you can easily get them?

*head explodes*
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:56:21 pm by BoogieMan »
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 06, 2011, 10:07:28 pm »

Liquid depth is an init option that displays liquid depth by their numbers, many people dislike them and turn it off.

Exotic animals is a tag when applied to certain animals, will require your fort to have a dungeon master to tame them. Since getting a DM is impossible(?), people turn that tag off so they can actually tame those animals. So ya, no exotic animals means you can get exotic animals, lol. I love it.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 06, 2011, 10:08:48 pm »

Glad to have that cleared up, thanks!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 06, 2011, 10:56:52 pm »

Exotic animals is a tag...
Since getting a DM is impossible(?), people turn that tag off so they can actually tame those animals. So ya, no exotic animals means you can get exotic animals, lol.

The way I remember it is that saying "No" to Exotic Animals is basically saying No to the exotic aspect. Another words, by saying no to making animals exotic they are effectively common animals (like cows and dogs) that can be easily tamed.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 07, 2011, 06:29:54 pm »

Second, it's probably just me but the tooltip for Exotic Animals doesn't seem very clear.

"When turned off, exotic animals can be easily tamed..." Options are YES and NO.

So saying No Exotic Animals means you can easily get them? Or Yes means you can easily get them?

*head explodes*

Exotic animals is a tag...
Since getting a DM is impossible(?), people turn that tag off so they can actually tame those animals. So ya, no exotic animals means you can get exotic animals, lol.

The way I remember it is that saying "No" to Exotic Animals is basically saying No to the exotic aspect. Another words, by saying no to making animals exotic they are effectively common animals (like cows and dogs) that can be easily tamed.

YYYYYYYYEAaaaaah that could be cleared up a tad  :P. But Devek and Thundercraft have it right.
Maybe "Exotic animals need Dungeon Master" YES/NO. Might need to be shorter to fit on the button though, with a more descriptive tooltip.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 137