Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1985681 times)

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.1] Updates
« Reply #870 on: April 07, 2011, 08:37:41 pm »

I can't seem to use the GUI. Any help?

Ethicalfive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 08, 2011, 04:32:57 am »

got .net 3.5 installed? (link is on the first post). Mine ran on an older version of .net, but it was broken and didn't detect files until i upgraded it.
Urist McMiner Unearths a strange pad. He trembles as he inspects it's time saving features. Knowing no 1 dwarf must posess this power, he quietly drops it into the nearest chasm and never speaks of it again.DwarfPad

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 08, 2011, 09:20:01 am »

got .net 3.5 installed? (link is on the first post). Mine ran on an older version of .net, but it was broken and didn't detect files until i upgraded it.
this.
we sadly can't work around it (yet?), so that requirement will have to stay.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

LonelyZues

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: April 08, 2011, 02:39:15 pm »

So...no 3.5?

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: April 09, 2011, 03:41:04 am »

Whooo! The lazy newb world is here to save me from the torture of not having a brook, volcano, and trees in the same 4x4 embark! WHEEEE!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

LucasUP

• Bay Watcher
  • Devout Cheeseist
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: April 09, 2011, 08:43:21 pm »

Whooo! The lazy newb world is here to save me from the torture of not having a brook, volcano, and trees in the same 4x4 embark! WHEEEE!
You're welcome! I'm glad you found it useful, I haven't had many other comments on it.
OG founder of the Lazy Newb Pack

daveftw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.0] Its HERE!
« Reply #877 on: April 10, 2011, 01:55:27 am »

Thanks for this program!  It was useful as hell when I was trying to get started with DF a few months ago, and the launcher GUI makes it that much better.  Random idea for a future version: Collections of raw files, for mods and such.  The LNP launcher would look at a folder for packages of raw files (like you've already done with utilities), then copy which ever the user selected over the top of DF's raw folder.  I assume that a lot of the people who play mods are already doing something similar by hand; some LNP-assistance would be awesome!

Multiplatform stuff

I've got some experience with .NET, but only on Windows.  My understanding of Mono was that, if you limited yourself to 2.0 and only used library classes/functions that Mono actually supported, you could make a simple GUI app that would run anywhere-ish.  Is that still just a dream? :(

Edit: http://www.mono-project.com/Gui_Toolkits says that you can use Windows.Forms 2.0 as long as you stay away from the P/Invokes.  I'm not seeing anything in the launcher that 2.0 can't do from the outside, but I haven't seen the LNP code so I dunno.  Is the source code available somewhere?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 02:29:28 am by daveftw »

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: April 10, 2011, 04:03:39 am »

Mono sucks, it is just a bad idea. It should never enter your mind when considering .net as a language. The idea of making something that doesn't even work on all versions of windows, work on something besides windows is deserving of a punch to the cock.

There is nothing wrong with .net, it is perfect for people who are not actually programmers.

"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

daveftw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: April 10, 2011, 04:44:07 am »

Mono sucks, it is just a bad idea. It should never enter your mind when considering .net as a language. The idea of making something that doesn't even work on all versions of windows, work on something besides windows is deserving of a punch to the cock.

There is nothing wrong with .net, it is perfect for people who are not actually programmers.

Your language of choice sucks too!

(:D)

Seriously though, .NET is a good environment.  It's more than just C# and VB.NET, there are plenty of other languages which will also compile to CIL.  That's actually what I like most about .NET: Learn the library once, then use it from multiple languages.  How long did it take you to learn the syntax of your last language?  How long did it take to learn the parts of the library that you use on a regular basis until you didn't need 10 tabs open in your browser just to write a moderately simple program?

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: April 10, 2011, 05:11:22 am »

Eh, not really. Professionals don't have a language of choice per se. The choice is what is going to give me the best results for what I am doing right now.

If you understand the fundamental of programming, you can pretty much use any language easily and will pick the one that best fits the situation at hand. Even libraries are built with a purpose in mind and parsing xml in one language is typically exactly the same as doing it in another. The biggest variance is always the GUI elements, which has nothing to do with the language.

I'm not insulting .net users, not everybody need to be a structural engineer just to build a dog house. I would cock punch someone who actually pushed mono as a solution though and that is not hyperbole hehe.
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

daveftw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: April 10, 2011, 05:29:41 am »

That was the entire point of the post.  Learning syntax is easy.  Memorizing libraries is hard, and Googling everything is slow.  I wouldn't use Mono for a critical business app either, but the LNP launcher is a fairly simple Winform with some process spawning and file editing.  If Mono can do _anything_, it can do that.

Edit: Ok, I started wondering about the process spawning after I wrote that, but http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2255624/how-to-use-process-start-or-equivalent-with-mono-on-a-mac-and-pass-in-arguments discusses using Process.Start on MacOS and http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2255624/how-to-use-process-start-or-equivalent-with-mono-on-a-mac-and-pass-in-arguments discusses it on Linux.

You still have to worry about platform independent pathnames, which is always a joy.  Yet another Stack Overflow thread at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3144492/how-do-i-get-nets-path-combine-to-convert-forward-slashes-to-backslashes states that you should be able to use forward slashes in .NET on Windows.  The LNP launcher should be able to work around the pathname issue by using relative paths with forward slashes.  (Yay, now its not a complete derail!)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 05:44:14 am by daveftw »

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: April 10, 2011, 05:59:28 am »

You're just being lazy then, and you'd be surprised at what mono can't do.

If all things were equal and you were in a universe that only allowed you to learn one library, why learn the .net libraries?

I'm not advocating qt or anything, but I will just throw it out there since it is popular for DF utilities and compare it to .net 3.5.

.net 3.5
no windows 2000 support
many XP users can not get .net to work at all

QT 4.7
Supports all versions of windows, including NT CE, and mobile lol.
Supports linux
Supports mac os x
Supports Symbian and Meego phones.

The fact that QT supports windows better than .net is hilarious, but its true. Many small version differences are ironed out automatically by QT and some things are faster such as mutexs.

daveftw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.0] Its HERE!
« Reply #883 on: April 10, 2011, 06:24:02 am »

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on our programming environment of choice then.

Actually its quite possible to get Microsoft.net programs working in Mac (dunno about Linux). We just need to change some code, and you would just need to install a program on the mac (not wine/virtualizer, something which lets it run natively). We had a guy helping us get the code right (file directory working needs to be changed to support multiplatform), but we've lost contact.

Just to make sure this doesn't get lost in the derail: If those forum posts above are accurate, it should be pretty straightforward to get LNP running with multiplatform paths.  Use forward slashes, since apparently .NET on Windows will accept them, and use relative paths to sidestep the drive letter/root issue.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: April 10, 2011, 06:46:37 am »

Oh god, not everything is a matter of opinion. You said yourself you have 0 experience using mono.

If they actually went through with this, users will wish they had edited their .ini files by hand....
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 137