Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

This version of LNP is out of date

Yes and it makes me sad :(
- 81 (39.7%)
Yes and it makes me mad/angry/frusrated >:(
- 29 (14.2%)
Yes and it's okay because there are other versions now :)
- 94 (46.1%)

Total Members Voted: 204

Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 137

Author Topic: Lazy Newb Pack - Very out of date :(  (Read 1986920 times)

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy Newb Pack [0.31.25] [V9.2] NEW & UP-TO-DATE!
« Reply #1020 on: July 19, 2011, 04:54:36 am »

I noticed in the v9.2 pack that the Utilities folder has been subdivided into A-Newb, B-Advanced, and C-Hacks. I can understand why you did that (to make it easier for newbies) and I realize that it's impossible to please everyone. However, I really preferred the old structure where they were all together in Utilities. I often find myself browsing the Utilities folders directly (to modify a utility's .ini/config or other files) and now that's a hassle. Besides, I suspect most newbies launch utilities directly from the LNP GUI. As such, I'd think it might work better to explain which utilities are newbie-friendly and which are for advanced uses, etc. in either the readme .txt file, by adding tips in the Utilities tab (LNP GUI), or both.

Also, I tried to manually update the Phoebus graphics in v9.2 from v21 to v23... but it did not work right. It seems that in Phoebus' v23 pack he put the init files inside ...\data\init\phoebus\ instead of the usual ...\data\init\ subdirectory.

Edit:
Well... there are a lot of differences from the Phoebus 31.25v21 folder in LNP. It looks like the new tileset editor that Phoebus included makes doing a manual update very difficult.

Edit Edit:
And, it seems that the LNP GUI does not always save the Exotic Animals: NO choice. Sometimes it does... but sometimes it defaults back to YES after I close and restart the GUI. ??? Weird.

Also, I checked the raws in my save and it still contains the usual [PET_EXOTIC] tags. Does this mean that this change requires generating a new world? Somehow, I thought it was possible to change the [PET_EXOTIC] tags on a save without a problem.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:48:38 am by Thundercraft »

Carcanken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: July 22, 2011, 02:25:18 pm »

Seems every time I try and start a game with this, it always doesnt respond and crashes later..

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: July 24, 2011, 06:51:55 am »

World Viewer has been officially abandoned due to Legends Viewer being the same style of project and would be best if you swap the two (as Legends Viewer is still being updated)

Post by Mason11987
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Legends Viewer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702.0
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 06:55:46 am by dennislp3 »

NGgod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: July 27, 2011, 08:55:54 am »

Just downloaded this on a new computer and when I try to play Dwarf Fortress via the LNP launcher a DOS box says 'The system cannot find the path specified' twice and there is a pop up saying 'Windows cannot find 'Dwarf Fortress.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.'. I haven't fiddled with anything, tried both download links, put the LNP folder in several different places and DF runs fine if i don't use the launcher, the problem being I want to use the launcher.

Themachineissentient

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: July 27, 2011, 10:00:55 pm »

Hello. I'm trying to follow along with Capt. duck video, and he is using the ironhand tile set. But his tiles look green and very descriptive, and my iron hand looks like everything is gray. The trees are gray, the ground is gray, even in forest areas. If I switch to Mike Mayday, it looks green.

Can anyone point out the tile set that can be imported to this pack to follow along exactly? I'm worried the symbols are going to be different and not going to know what's going on.

TimA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: July 28, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »

Hi.  Sorry if this has been asked before, I just started using the Lazy Newb Pack after a long break from DF.  I've installed the Ironhand graphics set, with truetype fonts enabled. My problem being on the units screen, the unit that is being highlighted is black text on a black background (therefore invisible).  Would it be possible to change the colour of the highlighting?

Thanks for any help.

Themachineissentient

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: July 28, 2011, 06:29:53 pm »

Hi.  Sorry if this has been asked before, I just started using the Lazy Newb Pack after a long break from DF.  I've installed the Ironhand graphics set, with truetype fonts enabled. My problem being on the units screen, the unit that is being highlighted is black text on a black background (therefore invisible).  Would it be possible to change the colour of the highlighting?

Thanks for any help.

This is similar to my question. There seems to be something wrong with the graphics set.

LordBlade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: July 28, 2011, 08:46:44 pm »

I'm having problems getting the game to run.

I run the Lazy Newb Pack, but when I hit "Play Dwarf Fortress!" I get an error message:

Windows cannot find 'Dwarf Fortress.exe'. Please make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

When in the LNP, if I go to Run > Open Folder, it easily finds the Dwarf Fortress folder.
Why won't it run the game?

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 01, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »

You, Good sir, are a gentleman and a Scholar.  I wholeheartedly approve of this pack, and will be downloading it immediately upon returning to my den of residence.  This thread, is a ☼Thread☼ and I'm sure it bristles with spikes of adamantine. And an image of cheese.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 01, 2011, 12:33:43 pm »

WOAH long time no see this thread...
I noticed in the v9.2 pack that the Utilities folder has been subdivided into A-Newb, B-Advanced, and C-Hacks. I can understand why you did that (to make it easier for newbies) and I realize that it's impossible to please everyone. However, I really preferred the old structure where they were all together in Utilities. I often find myself browsing the Utilities folders directly (to modify a utility's .ini/config or other files) and now that's a hassle. Besides, I suspect most newbies launch utilities directly from the LNP GUI. As such, I'd think it might work better to explain which utilities are newbie-friendly and which are for advanced uses, etc. in either the readme .txt file, by adding tips in the Utilities tab (LNP GUI), or both.
Yeah I'm not sure exactly how that helps... i guess more advanced users use it more...
Also, I tried to manually update the Phoebus graphics in v9.2 from v21 to v23... but it did not work right. It seems that in Phoebus' v23 pack he put the init files inside ...\data\init\phoebus\ instead of the usual ...\data\init\ subdirectory.
possibly. did repacking help?
Edit:
Well... there are a lot of differences from the Phoebus 31.25v21 folder in LNP. It looks like the new tileset editor that Phoebus included makes doing a manual update very difficult.
hm... that might be a slight problem...
Edit Edit:
And, it seems that the LNP GUI does not always save the Exotic Animals: NO choice. Sometimes it does... but sometimes it defaults back to YES after I close and restart the GUI. ??? Weird.
Possibly it doesn't autosave every time... after forcing a save does it still show this?
Also, I checked the raws in my save and it still contains the usual [PET_EXOTIC] tags. Does this mean that this change requires generating a new world? Somehow, I thought it was possible to change the [PET_EXOTIC] tags on a save without a problem.
i think it works(ed?) only on new worlds, at least in my experience.

Seems every time I try and start a game with this, it always doesnt respond and crashes later..
what version of windows? do you have .net framework 3.5?

World Viewer has been officially abandoned due to Legends Viewer being the same style of project and would be best if you swap the two (as Legends Viewer is still being updated)

Post by Mason11987
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Legends Viewer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702.0
Cool, we could add that next update.

Just downloaded this on a new computer and when I try to play Dwarf Fortress via the LNP launcher a DOS box says 'The system cannot find the path specified' twice and there is a pop up saying 'Windows cannot find 'Dwarf Fortress.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.'. I haven't fiddled with anything, tried both download links, put the LNP folder in several different places and DF runs fine if i don't use the launcher, the problem being I want to use the launcher.
Huh... have you moved the dwarf fortress.exe
err yeah i gotta read better...
what windows version, what .net framework?

Hello. I'm trying to follow along with Capt. duck video, and he is using the ironhand tile set. But his tiles look green and very descriptive, and my iron hand looks like everything is gray. The trees are gray, the ground is gray, even in forest areas. If I switch to Mike Mayday, it looks green.

Can anyone point out the tile set that can be imported to this pack to follow along exactly? I'm worried the symbols are going to be different and not going to know what's going on.
I'm not sure, the guy who did ironhand probably changed the pack a bit, so I'm not sure how to help you.

Thanks for any help.
try turning off truetype, i heard it can cause color problems...
it could also be just the ironhand version, you could try backdating if you really need to...

I run the Lazy Newb Pack, but when I hit "Play Dwarf Fortress!" I get an error message:

Windows cannot find 'Dwarf Fortress.exe'. Please make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

When in the LNP, if I go to Run > Open Folder, it easily finds the Dwarf Fortress folder.
hmm... what windows and .net framework version? I suspect this is a problem with batch file preferences, or with windows 7 using "strange" filepath conventions.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

LordBlade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 02, 2011, 03:24:59 pm »

hmm... what windows and .net framework version? I suspect this is a problem with batch file preferences, or with windows 7 using "strange" filepath conventions.

I'm using Windows Vista x64.
Checking my Programs and Features, I'm seeing the following:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB929729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended

I don't know much about the whole .NET thing.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 02, 2011, 03:51:03 pm »

I'm using Windows Vista x64.
Checking my Programs and Features, I'm seeing the following:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Hotfix (KB929729)
Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended

I don't know much about the whole .NET thing.

Forgive me for being so cold, but stop being a lazy bum.  Open the Dwarf Fortress folder and launch the executable yourself.  The folders the utilities are in seem to be in three folders in ./LNP/Utilities/ .  If you honestly can't handle launching executables yourself, you really don't stand much of a chance of learning to play this game.

Jerkish behavior aside, you can download the latest .NET here.  I don't know if you have everything you need, but this ought to make sure of it.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 02, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »

It could also be a problem with x64 systems. I sent it to a friend to test.
Meanwhile try downloading the latest .net 3.5 (SP2 iirc)
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 02, 2011, 05:31:27 pm »

It could also be a problem with x64 systems. I sent it to a friend to test.
Meanwhile try downloading the latest .net 3.5 (SP2 iirc)

Works fine on my amd64 Windows 7 system.

LordBlade

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 02, 2011, 08:42:49 pm »

Forgive me for being so cold, but stop being a lazy bum.  Open the Dwarf Fortress folder and launch the executable yourself.  The folders the utilities are in seem to be in three folders in ./LNP/Utilities/ .  If you honestly can't handle launching executables yourself, you really don't stand much of a chance of learning to play this game.

Problem is, if I just run Dwarf Fortress, the changes I make with the Lazy Newb Pack don't apply. Like no invasions, or no aquifer.
The only thing that gets applied is the graphics pack (I use MayDay).

And I've actually done quite well with this game. I used to play a lot before, and had a massive empire set up.
Unfortunately at some point my save became corrupted, and I lost my game. So I hadn't played in a while, because I didn't want to go through all that effort again.

Now I'm trying to play again, but I can't get it running as it did before.

Jerkish behavior aside, you can download the latest .NET here.  I don't know if you have everything you need, but this ought to make sure of it.

I've tried that. It should all be up to date.
Pages: 1 ... 67 68 [69] 70 71 ... 137