Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be made into one of the new DFHack plugins? (This is not binding)

Yes, I want to be able to use it with the DFHack console
- 288 (45.6%)
No, I like the stand alone QT version
- 140 (22.2%)
Both
- 204 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 631

Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 106

Author Topic: Runesmith - A DC like tool  (Read 366599 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Runesmith - A DC like tool
« Reply #1305 on: March 17, 2012, 11:16:14 am »

Please, update this tool (I would be great to debug http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5653 )
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: March 17, 2012, 03:36:40 pm »

People can't just pull the offsets off of Dwarf Therapist (SplinterZ has a version here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=66525.msg3095684#msg3095684 that can see Attributes)?.  It would be nice just to have runesmith for the availability of changing attributes.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 04:45:31 pm by thistleknot »

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: March 17, 2012, 04:49:12 pm »

As far as I'm aware, the structure of character and unit data has changed with 0.34.x releases. The memory.xml format is no longer appropriate to describe them in detail. In other words, the current version of Runesmith has no way to interpret the offsets that currently apply to DF; a new iteration of offset xmls is needed altogether.

In other words, we have the offsets for the current version, but runesmith can't use them in its current state
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: March 17, 2012, 04:59:07 pm »

As far as I'm aware, the structure of character and unit data has changed with 0.34.x releases. The memory.xml format is no longer appropriate to describe them in detail. In other words, the current version of Runesmith has no way to interpret the offsets that currently apply to DF; a new iteration of offset xmls is needed altogether.

In other words, we have the offsets for the current version, but runesmith can't use them in its current state

According to peterix, it should be possible to update the xml from offsets found for the new system actually. I just don't have time
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #1309 on: March 17, 2012, 06:04:24 pm »

DFHack now supports a simple RPC system using ProtoBuf over TCP/IP (to localhost) - at the moment, it allows invoking all of the "non-interactive" plugin commands from an external application ("dfhack-run prospect all", "dfhack-run clean map snow", etc.) and probably a few other things of which I am not aware.

It should be possible to write a special plugin whose sole purpose is to fetch/manipulate specific data structures ("get number of units", "get details for unit X", "set attribute X for unit Y", "set skill X for unit Y", "set/clear flag X for unit Y", etc.) and then have Runesmith talk to that plugin instead of using the old DFHack - as long as the plugin's interface stays the same (which is easy enough to ensure), it would just be a matter of including that DLL with all DFHack releases (which is just a matter of adding it to DFHack's github repository, either directly or as a submodule).
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 06:06:12 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: March 17, 2012, 06:23:53 pm »

DFHack now supports a simple RPC system using ProtoBuf over TCP/IP (to localhost) - at the moment, it allows invoking all of the "non-interactive" plugin commands from an external application ("dfhack-run prospect all", "dfhack-run clean map snow", etc.) and probably a few other things of which I am not aware.

It should be possible to write a special plugin whose sole purpose is to fetch/manipulate specific data structures ("get number of units", "get details for unit X", "set attribute X for unit Y", "set skill X for unit Y", "set/clear flag X for unit Y", etc.) and then have Runesmith talk to that plugin instead of using the old DFHack - as long as the plugin's interface stays the same (which is easy enough to ensure), it would just be a matter of including that DLL with all DFHack releases (which is just a matter of adding it to DFHack's github repository, either directly or as a submodule).

I just don't have time
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: March 17, 2012, 06:27:26 pm »

Well, maybe someone who does will come along and have a go at it.
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: March 17, 2012, 06:30:00 pm »

RS isn't open source

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #1313 on: March 17, 2012, 06:34:43 pm »

If you're not able to do it yourself or allow somebody else to do it for you, then I guess it's just not going to happen. We might be able to write some code to automatically generate a memory.xml file for legacy tools, but there's no guarantee that DF's internals won't change enough to make it no longer possible (which is arguably already the case for stuff like zombies and skeletons).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Steele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: March 17, 2012, 06:43:24 pm »

RS isn't open source

Doesn't it just involve editing the xml(s)?
Regardless, if you no longer have any time to work on Runesmith, perhaps it's time to pass the responsibility of updating on to someone else?
Doesn't have to be open source. Sounds like a win-win to me, we get an updated Runesmith and you stop having to deal with everyone begging you to update.
Just a thought.

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: March 17, 2012, 06:44:41 pm »

If you're not able to do it yourself or allow somebody else to do it for you, then I guess it's just not going to happen. We might be able to write some code to automatically generate a memory.xml file for legacy tools, but there's no guarantee that DF's internals won't change enough to make it no longer possible (which is arguably already the case for stuff like zombies and skeletons).

If you read back, the reason I don't have time is because I have to hand in my final year dissertation in just over two weeks. I keep meaning to open source RS but it isn't as simple as throwing the code out there and telling people to fix it. It would take me just as long to get the source ready for release, as it would to update it myself. It will be updated, it will just be a while. Sorry

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: March 18, 2012, 12:45:13 am »

If you read back, the reason I don't have time is because I have to hand in my final year dissertation in just over two weeks. I keep meaning to open source RS but it isn't as simple as throwing the code out there and telling people to fix it. It would take me just as long to get the source ready for release, as it would to update it myself. It will be updated, it will just be a while. Sorry

Get back to work on that dissertation! Lol quicker that is done and these kids will stop foaming at the mouth for RS... Besides, by the time u r done the releases might have stabilized.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: March 18, 2012, 06:23:51 am »

DFHack now supports a simple RPC system using ProtoBuf over TCP/IP (to localhost) - at the moment,...

Wait a minute!... DF output can be sent by TCP/IP ! - does that mean that 2 dwarves in 2 separate forts can send emails to each other?

'Dear kin, today Ast and Litok were ripped apart by a minotaur but we had roast duck for tea. for the rest of the day we were hauling stuff to the depot. How was your day? :)'

Or maybe they can tweet...
'Just caught a trout! My feet got wet so I took off my socks'

telamon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 18, 2012, 05:29:50 pm »

the idea of dwarves with social networking capabilities is a disturbing and frightening one. They're lazy enough already, but now we give them facebook!?

"OMG the manager just told me to go make some metal cabinets. doesn't he know im on break?!"
"gurl i totes know what you meaaaaan"

"haay gurls! im gonna have a party in the dining room in a few days, msg if interested! <3"
"i am SO THERE! will there be booze?"
"you KNOW it, girl"

*shudder*
Playing DF on Windows 98 since.... ?
At 55 frames per minute.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 18, 2012, 05:33:27 pm »

Perhaps if they had Facebook they would have somewhere to complain about their problems. As opposed to the usual method of dwarf therapy, beating up the person next to you.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 106