Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should this be made into one of the new DFHack plugins? (This is not binding)

Yes, I want to be able to use it with the DFHack console
- 288 (45.6%)
No, I like the stand alone QT version
- 140 (22.2%)
Both
- 204 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 631

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 106

Author Topic: Runesmith - A DC like tool  (Read 366591 times)

Foffy123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Runesmith - A DC like tool
« Reply #1485 on: July 28, 2012, 11:02:22 am »

Just to put my 2 cents in, I don't care if it uses the DFHack UI or not, as long as RS is finally updated.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: July 28, 2012, 06:42:43 pm »

I'm with Killer on this I'd rather it stayed as it's own GUI as well

LightlySpartan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: July 28, 2012, 08:08:18 pm »

Yeah I'd prefer a separate UI too. Can't wait till it gets updated.

SpecialCookies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: July 28, 2012, 09:32:16 pm »

Integration of multiple external tools promotes Dwarf Fortress compatibility through updating the whole tool set as a unit as DF itself is updated - having many smaller utilities that sometimes get updated to the latest version of DF and sometimes don't results in a multitude of programs that may or may not be compatible with DF v-0.whatever.

By having these utilities packaged as a unit, authors are given a stronger sense of motivation to update each utility, else the whole thing become defunct.

..... imo.

Also - I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:34:38 pm by SpecialCookies »
We don't really 'need' to survive, now - do we?

Foffy123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: July 28, 2012, 11:19:32 pm »

Integration of multiple external tools promotes Dwarf Fortress compatibility through updating the whole tool set as a unit as DF itself is updated - having many smaller utilities that sometimes get updated to the latest version of DF and sometimes don't results in a multitude of programs that may or may not be compatible with DF v-0.whatever.

By having these utilities packaged as a unit, authors are given a stronger sense of motivation to update each utility, else the whole thing become defunct.
This is a very good point. I'm assuming that if RS were a part of DFHack then it would be updated at the same time everything else was. That would be pretty awesome.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: July 29, 2012, 12:23:38 am »

But the gui made it so incredibly easy to use, click on one of the creatures and manipulate it's flags, alliegences. I just can't see it being that easy if it was just another dfhack plugin. Would it be possible to run the gui version from dfhack? Also if it was headed by peterix I don't think we would have an issue with updates, they would naturally take a little bit longer then they used to seeing as it is more work to do. But I wouldn't mind as long as there are updates :P

Foffy123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: July 29, 2012, 12:26:51 am »

But the gui made it so incredibly easy to use, click on one of the creatures and manipulate it's flags, alliegences. I just can't see it being that easy if it was just another dfhack plugin. Would it be possible to run the gui version from dfhack? Also if it was headed by peterix I don't think we would have an issue with updates, they would naturally take a little bit longer then they used to seeing as it is more work to do. But I wouldn't mind as long as there are updates :P
I think at this point it's probably Peterix or nothing, seemingly nobody else has posted.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: July 29, 2012, 01:00:22 am »

I think at this point it's probably Peterix or nothing, seemingly nobody else has posted.

I am not at all against Peterix taking over the project, in fact I trust him with it more then anyone else TBH. I just want to have it with a usable gui, which hopefully isn't hard if Sizeak gives him everything on RS. I may get used to a RS plugin for DFHack but I just couldn't see how it would be usable without being TheRapist stripped of job assignments and given the tools to bend wills and crush enemies (that was literally my first thought when using RS for the first time).

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #1493 on: July 29, 2012, 02:04:39 am »

Guys, keeping the GUI as it is now and improving it *would be the point* of maintaining RS. Thing is, DFHack changed a lot since the last RS version and the way RS connects to DFHack simply has to change, because the old way just isn't there anymore. It's not an easy thing to do, especially for someone without a lot of spare time. There are no examples of how to connect to DFHack apart from some extremely simple stuff. There is no documentation.

RS could become a good example of how to connect external GUI tools to DF  :) As a bonus, it would probably become much more resilient when it comes to DF changes.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: July 29, 2012, 08:26:45 am »

Guys, keeping the GUI as it is now and improving it *would be the point* of maintaining RS. Thing is, DFHack changed a lot since the last RS version and the way RS connects to DFHack simply has to change, because the old way just isn't there anymore. It's not an easy thing to do, especially for someone without a lot of spare time. There are no examples of how to connect to DFHack apart from some extremely simple stuff. There is no documentation.

RS could become a good example of how to connect external GUI tools to DF  :) As a bonus, it would probably become much more resilient when it comes to DF changes.

You sir, are my hero.

Any news on if he is handing you the reigns?

sizeak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: July 29, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »

You sir, are my hero.

Any news on if he is handing you the reigns?

If it is anyone, it will be peterix. We're in communication
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 03:47:44 am by sizeak »
Runesmith - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59056.0 - A Dwarf Companion like tool

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: August 04, 2012, 03:37:38 am »

...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: August 04, 2012, 02:02:37 pm »

Glad to hear the "possible" forthcomming changes.
^_^

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: August 11, 2012, 02:43:41 pm »

Glad to hear the "possible" forthcomming changes.
^_^

Me too

Mortifer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: August 15, 2012, 01:10:31 pm »

So, any more new info about Runesmith? Will it be continued?
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 106