Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 3345

Author Topic: Things that made you RRRRRRAAAAGGGGEEEE today: Trust-o-nomics Edition  (Read 3568991 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you RRAAAAAGGGGEEEE today thread: Digital Warfare Edition
« Reply #8565 on: January 25, 2012, 01:32:39 am »

Bauglir, just so you're aware, you returned fire with Rum'n'Coke. I hope you're happy.
Unsurprisingly, yes, I am. Enjoy your burning refreshment
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8566 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:42 pm »

Now I want a drink too but we don't have anything but a bit of cheapo wine :(

Rage moment of the day, if a store is always crowded (up to 200 customers each day, sometimes more) and relies on the ticket system, why oh why do you have different tickets if they all go to any of the counters. And speaking of counters, if you built five with optimization in mind, why oh why do you only ever keep three manned and therefore create annoying situations where the store is so filled with people (rather small space) that you have to step out to take a breath of fresh air, only to have your number called and skipped over in the fifteen seconds you were out.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #8567 on: January 25, 2012, 02:09:28 pm »

Something makes youtube and bay12forums lag and error like crazy.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8568 on: January 25, 2012, 03:32:30 pm »

GOD DAMMIT I HATE ACTA

By the way, I'm not Irish.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8569 on: January 25, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »

GOD DAMMIT I HATE ACTA

I hate how people think there's some political agenda behind raising ACTA awareness.

-facepalm-

!RAEGE!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8570 on: January 25, 2012, 06:12:11 pm »

Something makes youtube and bay12forums lag and error like crazy.
Bots and trolls

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8571 on: January 25, 2012, 07:24:06 pm »

GOD DAMMIT I HATE ACTA

I am Irish and I bit a chunk out of my hand when I saw that earlier today and am still seething with rage.
Message to Irish Governement;
Ireland's economy is built off of the tech industry you freaking idiots SO STOP DOING STUPID THINGS THAT COULD DAMAGE IT!
Or if you are at least do it for a better damn reason than piracy!

To be fair though the Irish bailout deal means the EU has the Irish governement by the balls and if EU want to make the them do some thing then they in reality don't actualy have much say in the matter.
After going through the pains of English oppression the struggles of freeing ourselves and the troubles of building a freestate from nothing and here we are a few more than sixty years after than the offical recognition of the free independant Ireland, jumping when some one else says jump.

Words cannot no matter how elquently put decribe the kind of all consuming rage I feel right now both for my hatrid of internet censorship and my patritotism.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8572 on: January 25, 2012, 07:31:04 pm »

Words cannot no matter how elquently put decribe the kind of all consuming rage I feel right now both for my hatrid of internet censorship and my patritotism.

I'll take a stab at it:

CRUSH KILL MAIM CRUSH KILL MAIM CRUSH KILL MAIM CRUSH KILL MAIM CRUSH KILL MAIM CRUSH KILL MAIM CRUSH KILL MAIM
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8573 on: January 25, 2012, 07:31:59 pm »

I can sum it up with a simple emoticon:

D:<
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8574 on: January 25, 2012, 07:53:38 pm »

This
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY5ioBvrYIg

Not because of the cops, but because of the comments. I actually agree with the cops

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8575 on: January 26, 2012, 01:25:18 am »

I'm really pissed off at my compsci professor, possibly unreasonably.

1. He greeted me as ma'am.  Seriously, I am so obviously not ma'am age.
2. In class, even though he'd never seen me before in my life, when I raised my hand he didn't just flick over it and keep looking, he'd stare at me and sort of crane his neck looking around for someone else to call on.  I've never met any professor who did that in quite the same way.  It was a 400-person lecture hall and he had a very "no, not you, fuck you" way of doing it.  Didn't call on any girls, either--there were lots of questions he asked, but he somehow managed not to call on any women.  There were lots there.
3. When I approached him to discuss course details, having sent him an email he'd apparently read, which detailed my grades, background, etc. (including that I'd gotten over 100% in a light-intro course, designed to help people with the course I was trying to get enrolled in--and that I was one course away from a degree in pure math)... well, he expressed a lot of rather condescending doubt that I'd be able to solve the week's collection of four little programming problems in 7 hours.  It took about one, and that was only due to clashes with the previous language I'd learned.
4. The CS students in general also kind of treated me like I was too stupid to talk to.
5. As previously discussed, it was an atmosphere where dudes felt like they could hit on girls the minute they saw them.

I know that these sound small, but really, the thing was the atmosphere.  It just felt really gross.  I've been in plenty of classes where the gender balance was way more skewed; heck, I've been in courses where the professor was making misogynistic and antisemitic jokes.  I've taken other CS and engineering classes.  I've sat through the culture shock in English classes, where people would openly rag on and maim mathematics, and dealt with the Autism Speaks people.  I've been the only woman in the room.

And yet, despite this, there's never been another course I took at Berkeley where I felt quite so excluded and unwelcome.  It just felt gross.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8576 on: January 26, 2012, 01:32:11 am »

From the sound of it, in those other contexts, while there may have been more open aggression of a kind, this one takes the top for casual dismissal of your worth, with an air of "Well, of course it's obvious, why do you even think we should care about you?" It's far more subtle, and a lot harder to deal with for that reason (not least of which, because the people on the other side are probably not even aware of it - which can be insulting in its own way). It's also a lot better at undermining one's own self-confidence, because there's little to no opportunity to challenge it, but that doesn't sound like the issue I hope.

Does that sound accurate, or am I blowing hot air around?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8577 on: January 26, 2012, 02:58:08 am »

Yeah, that's sort of it.

The thing is, most of those people were so in love with their subjects that you'd only have to display a little bit of interest and they'll love you forever.  Most professors would jump at the chance to have a student as well-prepared as I am.  Even if I were totally incompetent, they'd be happy for my sheer enthusiasm.  I've had plenty of professors who were dismissive or who acted like they hated me, sometimes personally... but this guy had gotten no opportunity to get to know me in any capacity, and acted like he just didn't want to teach me in particular, though I hadn't done anything.  A number of mathematicians have treated me like I was a particularly annoying streak of shit on their shoe.  But that's the thing... they always had a very mischievous, affectionate personality that showed from time to time, which showed that getting along with them would happen the moment I started to get along with mathematics.

Well, I'll keep trying.  Thanks for listening.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8578 on: January 26, 2012, 10:52:49 pm »

Since grade school, I loved or hated things that I'm trying to learn depending on my teacher. Attitude of the teacher is very important. No wonder why I hate mathematics now. If you have ambition and you are in university it's not a big deal but little things like that affect the career choice of kids.

We are like only 3 guys in the class and we got used to most of our teacher's tendency to start the class with a "good morning, girls!" Gender discrimination is everywhere :P

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 570 571 [572] 573 574 ... 3345