Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30

Author Topic: Neo Dreams: Chronicles of Avarsiin. Pseudo Devlog.  (Read 58943 times)

griffinpup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pen & Paper RPG. Reactions?
« Reply #255 on: July 25, 2012, 11:39:51 am »

Hey.  I'm a noob, and i'd totally like to try out your pen and paper.  If you have even a little portion for me to try, it would be great.

:' ;)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: July 31, 2012, 01:59:40 pm »

Okay, I'm going to put this in the OP:

I am currently not beta-testing, and I will let you guys know when I am.

Also, I was reading a thread about the screwed up D&D Alignment system, and I was thinking about redefining mine to "Morality". Morality would be "High" (This character is generally altruistic and benevolent, and keep selfishness to a minimum, and they work to better the lives of the people around them,) "Moderate" (This character is balanced between benevolence and selfishness, or strives for asceticism,) and "Low" (This person is generally selfish, greedy and decadent, working only to better themselves.)

What do you guys think?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #257 on: July 31, 2012, 02:25:16 pm »

My homebrew system retains a lot of joke elements (since it was born of a joke), and the alignment system is really only a vessel to score points against D&D, but it also got a lot of praise from my players. Rather than go vague, I actually added two axes, and ended up with what the players said was a pretty good way to describe a personality:

• Flexible/Strict: whether a character will break from his alignment for expedience.
  • Honorable/Dishonorable: a character's degree of adherence to an internal set of rules of behavior.
  • Good/Evil: basically selfish/unselfish.
  • Lawful/Chaotic: a character's degree of adherence to external sets of rules.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: July 31, 2012, 03:52:43 pm »

• Flexible/Strict: whether a character will break from his alignment for expedience.
  • Honorable/Dishonorable: a character's degree of adherence to an internal set of rules of behavior.
  • Good/Evil: basically selfish/unselfish.
  • Lawful/Chaotic: a character's degree of adherence to external sets of rules.
That's pretty good, but one aspect which could really augment it is whether a character is a big-thinker or a little-detailer. A big thinker tries to plan long-term and considers the end results more important than the methods, but risks falling out of touch with reality or doing something wrong because they think it'll help in the long run. A little-detailer does what is optimal in each situation, and is flexible to different problems, and adapts the goals based on what is attainable, but risks not having any lasting effect or being sidetracked from overall goals.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: July 31, 2012, 03:56:05 pm »

Honestly, those are all details that should be hashed out through in-game character growth. Aside from that, all of those aspects are motile (they change slowly, but they do change) in a real person, and behavior modeling of characters is no different.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 02, 2012, 01:09:51 pm »

Is the alignment going to have an in-game effect? As in, are there going to be spells that target a certain morality, affect certain moralities, and so on and so forth? If yes, then maybe you should have a morality system.

If there isn't an in-game effect then don't bother with morality. It just straight jackets gameplay into something without much flexibility, no matter how often you point out that it shouldn't, and doesn't and wouldn't. People are just like that, unfortunately.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 02, 2012, 10:15:06 pm »

Yes, there are alignment effects. There are spells, curses and blessings, God/Favor bonuses, Noble/Favor bonuses, and military bonuses. They aren't super-dramatic, but they're enough to shift the momentum of a game.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 03, 2012, 11:42:34 am »

Facepunch RPG: only game with a four dimensional alignment grid.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 03, 2012, 02:38:17 pm »

Facepunch RPG: only game with a four dimensional alignment grid.
Down, Forward, DownForward and SHORYUKEN!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 01, 2012, 10:34:57 pm »

Dropping in to say I'm still watching and still interested.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: September 01, 2012, 10:38:08 pm »

Very cool. Much appreciated.

I'm working on a side project right now that, hopefully, will spread across B12 like a weird meme. It is tangentially related to my main project here. I'll keep you all posted.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 02, 2012, 04:36:19 am »

Does it involve your fist?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 02, 2012, 09:53:17 am »

How weird are we talking here?
Penguin weird, or !!SCIENCE!! weird? Maybe Kamina Glasses weird? Or perhaps even Double Down weird?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 02, 2012, 07:34:12 pm »

No, it does not directly involve either of my fists.

And...it's the rules for a "new" forum game. I just hope it takes off and other people decide to run it, that's all.

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
« Reply #269 on: September 07, 2012, 01:29:38 am »

Well in THAT case... PTW.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30