Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Space Empires V multiplayer idea.  (Read 7347 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Space Empires V multiplayer idea.
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2010, 07:46:17 pm »

Talvera, since it looks like you're the only one who's going to be a little late, I'll ask mayday to hold off until he gets your file, but please try to get it done as close to the original deadline as possible.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 08, 2010, 01:56:58 am »

Wow, these inventories don't seem even slightly balanced, I think I have found one that is tolerable from both a style and design perspective, but honestly, If I want to keep doing this I will have to figure out how to generate my own shipsets. Half tempted to just use a current one and meddle with its inventory file...

Having some trouble hosting my race, but hopefully that will clear up and I will be ready to go.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2010, 02:02:01 am »

You do realize that each ship has three inventory layers, don't you? If you aren't happy with the stock ones, you could always grab one of the Star Wars or Star Trek ones available, as those are pretty good for space.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2010, 03:11:38 am »

Well, yes, but the positioning of some sections does have an influence and some styles do have a drastic difference in the available space. What bugs me though is that there just doesn't seem to be any consideration of balance. I am not asking for perfect balance, but I would expect heavier ships to always have more slots than lighter ships, and for Stick-insect-shaped inventories not to be the same class as turtle-shaped inventories... Hmmm, looked at the Shadows from Babylon Five, those look pretty cool and have plenty of slots. The Dreadnought has more armour than the baseship, the battleship has more core than the dreadnought, and the light cruiser has more armour than the cruiser, but there are more specific slots and a better spread of normal slots so it isn't quite so offensive...

But I have already uploaded my race and people shouldn't need to worry about adding new shipsets on their first game...

Of course, your first game could take a year to finish so...

P.S.
 K, my File is uploaded, I have PMed Captain Mayday with its location. Prepare to be vicariously embarrassed!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2010, 03:16:27 am »

Should just be Tal left then. What's the name of your empire?

Edit:
I'm going to start a new thread for the game itself, once I have all the empires. That's where well post our saves as we take our turns and where we post our journals/newspapers/propaganda leaflets/etc.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:18:00 am by Lord Shonus »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2010, 05:11:56 am »

Erm... RAM's Commonwealth, so sue me, there are enough variations on Alexandria to show that undisputed rulers get their names on everything...
Read the First Post!

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2010, 11:22:41 am »

Okay I'm going to make my race NOW.

be back soon :)

Edit: my Empire has been created and sent to Captain Mayday, I can only hope I didn't mess anything up... a very real possibility seeing as I'm new to this.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:02:07 pm by Talvara »

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2010, 12:34:31 pm »

I've got everybody's file now.
I'll get to making the game tomorrow.
Any preferences for galaxy size/habitability?
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2010, 04:42:56 pm »

I'd say a large cluster, with each empire placed in an equally defensble position. Medium tech, medium points, no AI, Peace through the galaxy victory condition.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2010, 11:10:05 pm »

The actual game thread is up. Talvera, I need to know the name of your empire, please. While we're waitng for the game, please make some initial RP post, describing the start of your spaec program, your discovery of warp points, or somesuch. Also, indicate whether or not you'd be interested in audience participation (for storytelling), and, if so, in what form. (for example, you might allow forumgoers to "command" some of your ships, and write diaries about the events.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:11:47 pm by Lord Shonus »

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2010, 10:20:16 am »

Alright, here is a rundown of the settings that I am employing.
Map:
Galactic Edge: Large, Warp Points Located anywhere in system. I turned off 'All Warp Points connected' option to minimise the amount of interconnectedness to make blockades actually possible. All systems are actually connected to each other.

Settings for all players:
Medium Tech Cost.
High Starting Resources (to give you the extra kick at the beginning. Early game is such a slog without it.)
Home Planet Value: Good
Number of Starting Planets: 3 (again, extra kick at the beginning. Also, due to tech level).
Empire Placement: Evenly Distributed through quadrant (doesn't matter, since I manually placed the empires.)
Score Display: Only your own score.
Tech Points: Medium
Racial Points: 3000 (but you knew that).

Game Options:
Sight Settings: You can see your home system(s), and require sensors to see at any distance.

Events: Low frequency, but can be Catastrophic.

Max units in space: I just made that 20,000. FYI, this only refers to mines/satellites, etc.
Max Ships allowed per player: 1000.

Gameplay Options: No Tactical Combat. You guys are turn based anyway.
Player Restrictions: Can Give Gifts, Can Give tech through gifts and trades, Can Completely Surrender, Can Conduct Intel Projects. Cannot see entire tech tree. Not limited to worlds you can colonise.

Turn mode: Different Machines. Turn Based.

Victory Conditions: Peace Throughout The Quadrant.

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2010, 10:56:57 am »

Just to be clear, this will require you guys pass this savegame around via email.
Therefore, you will need to know the email address of the next person on the list.
I will actually be joining you. However, since I have the added benefit of knowing exactly where all you guys will be, I am limiting my play style considerably. Please note, I am considering this more as an RP/Storytelling exercise than my mission to crush all opposition.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 12:37:53 pm by Captain Mayday »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2010, 02:07:43 am »

So what is our order?
Read the First Post!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2010, 03:53:17 am »

Captain Mayday
Lord Shonus
RAM
Timferius
Talvos

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2010, 06:10:25 pm »

Oh, this is just typical. I found my copy in my brother's room. In plain sight.

He doesn't even play strategy games, let alone games like SE5. I'm guessing my parents put it there because of all the other CD and DVD cases on the same shelf.

Oh well, I can always play single player.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6