Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 128231 times)

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #450 on: July 06, 2010, 02:08:39 pm »

A copper bolt travelling at ninety percent of the speed of light carries a high probability of causing problems for an individual completely covered by heavy steel armour.
Well, "hitting with strength of multiton thermonuclear explosion" certainly counts as "causing problems", but it sounds so much like... understatement... ;)

Back to topic: great fixes! I personally wait for three things, if we talking about military bugs:
  • Projectile weapons shoots (maybe already fixed? Toady wrote something about testing various things with marksdwarves on arena)
  • Military equipment actually equips
  • Military training actually works

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 06, 2010, 06:15:48 pm »

Marksdwarves have always worked in the arena. It's fortress mode where we grieve and Toady won't release .09 until he's fixed it or made enough changes to warrant extensive playtesting by us. Training and equipping do work even in .08 provided you stick to certain restrictions.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

HebaruSan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 07, 2010, 10:07:06 am »

Arsenal dwarf going away in 0.31.09:
Quote from: Today One
The arsenal dwarf was obliterated to let equipment move around more easily. The position might be back later, but not without being more useful and interesting.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 07, 2010, 10:09:19 am »

Kickass change.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 07, 2010, 10:13:30 am »

Arsenal dwarf going away in 0.31.09:
Quote from: Today One
The arsenal dwarf was obliterated to let equipment move around more easily. The position might be back later, but not without being more useful and interesting.

Heh, the arsenal dwarf is probably causing alot of the other issues with the military as well.

I have one question related to this though, For forts that currently have an arsenal dwarf, will those saves be compatible with .9? I'm wondering because my fort is at the point where I need to use an arsenal dwarf in order to do much of the military stuff, and so when the arsenal dwarf position goes missing (it's in the entity_civ file, right? Which requires a regen) what happens to those in worldgen an in your fort that currently have the arsenal dwarf position?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #455 on: July 07, 2010, 10:22:46 am »

Cross-posting from FotF:  In old saves, the position will be there, but you won't have to use it.  Save compat is fine -- I left the responsibilities in but they aren't used in the code except to load them and not throw an error message.  You can just fire your current arsenal dwarf.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: July 07, 2010, 10:26:47 am »

Heh, was going to erase that post since the other one got answered, but then again, its a good idea to have this info in two threads.

izraqthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 07, 2010, 12:04:33 pm »

I read the latest development blog and I am glad to see that hunting/marksdwarves work again.  I have a problem though with training... I know there are training weapons but it takes the arsenal dwarf to change so say I have a goblin raid and I need to change in the middle of training to defend my fortress I can't do that.  Long story short and my point is I had some dwarves sparing and my speardwarf tore open a ligament and I know this is sort of my fault but I don't believe in manually changing the equipment because it takes forever for the arsenal dwarf to change it so I am kind of excited he got taken out.  I was wondering in the release after next you could do something to tell the dwarfs to train with the wooden training weapons and say you tell them to kill something that they would know to change from the training weapons to the normal weapons.  I probably posted this in the wrong board so I am sorry if I have done so but I felt it is relevant to the new version.  Keep up the good work Toady I am very excited for the next release.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 07, 2010, 01:02:32 pm »

Even though there is no use for training weapons right now (aside from cutting down trees with training axes) lots of people insist on using them. It makes logical sense afterall and 40d habits make it doubly so. Which brings to question: will dwarves store their training weapons in their squad-assigned container (weapon rack defining the barracks) and only pull them out for official sparring? Seems silly to ever equip training weapons just for individual weapon drills or demonstrations, where no risk of injury exists.
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 07, 2010, 01:16:28 pm »

After reading the latest notes, now I'm REALLY looking forward to the next version. I mean REALLY. On a completely unrelated note, my "weekend" is tomorrow. HINT HINT. :D

Edit: Will 09 "release" the ammo that was "locked" due to a deleted ammo group in the military ammo screen?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:34:07 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: July 07, 2010, 01:45:35 pm »

Man I should donate, Thanks Toady for fixing those bugs. This new update I cant wait for, now my adventurers can finally de-gut a poor elf while NOT bleeding to death from a arrow in his toe, At that same moment I will have a working militery.

izraqthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 07, 2010, 02:58:50 pm »

Which brings to question: will dwarves store their training weapons in their squad-assigned container (weapon rack defining the barracks) and only pull them out for official sparring? Seems silly to ever equip training weapons just for individual weapon drills or demonstrations, where no risk of injury exists.

I agree with you on that but there was that one off chance where my dwarfs where they were actually sparing training and I just personally think its a hassle to have to manually switch it in the assignments and then have to change when a siege happens.  I am sure there will be a change with that in an upcoming release considering he is doing combat/military bugs.  That spear dwarf finally got his arm patched up but still avoiding further injuries would be nice I am sure others will agree with me.  Maybe it is my fault that I don't put them on a schedule where they are only training alone :p.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: July 07, 2010, 04:09:27 pm »

That's the thing see, dwarves never spar right now because it's bugged. Or more accurately - if they do spar at all, then you're risking losing dwarves permanently to the "waiting for military demonstration classes" bug, so they should never ever be allowed to spar in the first place right now.

Anyway, I phrased my question that way because sieges are not the main concern with rapid switching of equipment - unexpected cavern wildlife intrusions and ambushes give you far less time to react so I expect soldiers should carry live weapons by default and only use practice weapons at the exact time they need them: sparring only.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 07, 2010, 05:26:38 pm »

My dwarves just go into "individual combat drills" which works nicely though their schedules dont work. I cant wait for the combat bugs to be ironed out so i can make a fortress in an evil biome again! damn tired of the non undead elk and camels wandering into the map lagging me.

VWSpeedRacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 07, 2010, 06:16:01 pm »

The Arsenal Dwarf looks surprised by the ferocity of Toady One's onslaught!
"Yo dorf, I herd you like menacing so I put spikes on yo spikes so you can menace while you menace!"
I think something went wrong with the mac download. All I know is, there's an exe in it, and that just ain't right.
Armok's Sweaty Balls Toady
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 37