Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 547141 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2010, 07:31:24 pm »

if you want I could take my hand at making some sounds digitally, I'm by no means a professional but I should be able to come up with the majority of what you'd want.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2010, 07:32:53 pm »

Nice idea. I like.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 09:12:44 pm »

Lol.. i did a quick try on combat sounds.....  the result is.... interesting.... (I just chose loops anyhow from the soundbible site included in the original config file...)  It's not exhaustive, but at least now when somebody "strikes" (there are other verbs which I did not include) or shoots a projectile, some sound will roll...

test run combat sounds
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Intruders (less siege, coz siege not logged somehow..... strange....)

Mandates (demands not included)

something reach adulthood (animals or dwarves) + manager task or masterpiece compelted

Strange mood.... (love the evil laugh cackle... LOL)

Deaths (very incomplete.... so many ways to die in DF...)

Seasons
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:50:22 pm by sphr »

nefty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 10:58:24 pm »

http://opengameart.org/browse/audio

This might be a good resource for sound effects and music.  I haven't really looked thoroughly but I'm sure there's some good stuff in there.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2010, 11:36:25 pm »

Last time my woodcutter UristMcInsane has gone berserk inside of my fortress while carrying his axe, i could really imagine this music being played.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcNhDstL4-k

:D

That's a great tool if we can add sounds for the events.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 12:04:15 am »

I am definitely keeping an eye on this

NieXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • NieXS' Domain
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 12:14:12 am »

I got inspired by this, and found several fitting background songs for seasons, sieges, ambushes and menus. I also wrote my own version of it, using SDL (actually two versions: one in Ruby, which isn't really portable to Windows due to requiring the whole language runtime, and one in Vala, but I couldn't get sound effects to work there, somehow). The Vala version would be lighter than this, due to not requiring the Java runtime (Vala compiles to C, which compiles to machine code). All of the songs were found in incompetech.com, except for the sound effects, which I took from this app for testing. The songs:

The Ruby version:

Vala version:

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 12:58:08 am »

You could resolve the legalty issue by letting the user select the music to play for certain situations.

As said, it is possible, but well see about that.

As far as legality goes, my issue is that i could not make pack with license-burdened sounds and music and let users download it.

They can, of course, get it somewhere else and add it maually, but that is not really ideal. Were not elven hippies!

Interesting, and potentially useful as well.  (at the least, on a dual monitor, it can function as a log reader! LOL)

Just a thought, using the log reader as a core, it could potentially be redesigned as a general framework log reader, which parses the log messages back into events...

That is a bit more than what I wanted to achieve, but once core of what i want to do is up ad running (sounds), it ca be expanded a lot.

I would, however take a hint from you and redesign xml format a bit for potetial extensions per your ideas.

Btw, what impact does it have on performance, if any? I have an very old computer.

Well, it is mp3 playback on top of what DF does, impack should be minimal (if you listen to music while playing it should be about same) and with dual-core, it should be near zero.

If game events become too spammy, it could cause major slowdowns, but I have plans to detect "log spam" and start dropping certain sounds (playing sounds for 20 interrupt messages at once is not going to sound good either...)

http://www.freesound.org/ might have some good stuffs.

Could you hook into a Text to Speech library?  If so that would be useful as well.

Thanks for link.

Text for speech ... hm, it did not occur to me, but sure, can do that. Neat idea!

if you want I could take my hand at making some sounds digitally, I'm by no means a professional but I should be able to come up with the majority of what you'd want.

That would be helpfull, thanks. I am not sure what we want yet or how mood should be set (spoken messages? various dings? natural sounds?), but feel free to come up with some ideas.

Lol.. i did a quick try on combat sounds.....  the result is.... interesting....

Whoa, great job! So, how does combat sound :)?

This reminds me that we need separate config files for different sound libraries so that they can be added/removed easily without much hassle.

http://opengameart.org/browse/audio

Thanks! Took a small peek and it seems that it would be great source for combat sounds.

I got inspired by this, ... I also wrote my own version of it, ...

A competition! Splendid!

We should agree on xml file format so that people do not need to make two version of their pack or be forced to convert from one to another.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 01:00:47 am »

This one's fairly old, but I believe the OP is still active. Might want to look into contacting him for the necessary permissions: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=37469

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 02:47:20 am »

New release:

release: http://df.zweistein.cz/pub/soundSense_2_8.zip
source: http://df.zweistein.cz/pub/soundSense_2_8_src.zip

New features:
* Loop and Music flags in configuration
* Extended configuration (multiple files in directory supported to ease creating packages)
* Added sphr's battle sounds (as example package)
* Commandline parameters for config dir and gamelog locations.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:49:00 am by zwei »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2010, 11:07:05 am »

r3 released:
 * Logging is cleaner now
 * Looped music now picks one of random alternate tracks.
 * Added some mandate, mood sounds and intruder sounds and placeholders.
 * Finalized seasonal background tracks.
 * Fixed bug with sound that has zero files.

This one is bitch (as far as size is concerned), soundtrack makes it weight 30MB (is it record for df tool or what?), So i uploaded it to rapidshare: http://rapidshare.com/files/403576379/soundSense_3_9.zip.html

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2010, 11:15:23 am »

Thank you for your work!

Prastary

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 03:31:19 am »

bump. I have played yesterday DF with soundsense and must say that it is one of the best additions to the game. It adds even more climate. Waiting impatiently for updates!

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 05:47:29 am »

Yeah.  This is another tool that really really helps bring attentions to events, so that I can actually do something else like browse web while I left DF running elsewhere...

My favorite is a kitty alert I set to play a kitten's meow when a kitten is born.... so that it can be caged... keeps cats from taking over the colony.  And also improved my own battle sounds to catch more attack types... lol... really helps to bring attention to combat somewhere.

One thing, if I may suggest: separate the core files (with possibly sample xml + a few sample files) from the sound "theme" pack.  That should make it possible to host the core file somewhere other than rapidshare.... which I had problems with...

gimme r3... (or newer version??)

Another possible suggestion: maybe it's time to put in an options file to set the base for some user options (e.g. customize the logger to display or hide debug messages (or just display the line from log file as is) which may not be of interest to those who use the run window as a real-time log viewer, like me!! ;) )  Also : the quality symbols sometimes messes up the console display... may want to escape/replace the string before output to console...

Edit: AHHHHH forgot the most improtant thing!!!!
An excellent job well done, zwei! You've provided an innovative avenue to significant improvements to the DF experience!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 05:50:23 am by sphr »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 07:41:01 am »

gimme r3... (or newer version??)

Ask, and you shall recieve:

http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_4_13.zip

And site with packs which are now much more friendly for installation (just drop unzipped pack directory to "packs" directory):

http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Don't be shy to share your packs now :)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 104