Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1561760 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1230 on: September 24, 2010, 02:23:02 pm »

Undiggable tag is nice. Doesn't really do anything new though unless you want a really hard rock that you can dig. Or a not-hard rock that you... can't.

On contrary!

Undiggable veins/clusters in normal layers!

I was trying to imply that I realized this partway through typing my post.

Except partway through typing THIS post I realized that the hardness of an undiggable rock wouldn't matter anyway, so you could put impenetrable rock veins in previous versions too.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1231 on: September 24, 2010, 05:08:29 pm »

Support for translations was on the old dev pages as well, as part of the presentation arc. Specifically Core 54:

Core54    TRANSLATION SUPPORT    (Future)    though current font implementations restrict this process at the moment if non-ASCII characters are to be involved.

Now that true-type support is in, if buggy, the mentioned hurdle could be smaller, actually.

Since most announcements are already identified by a token for the announcement init file, those tokens could be also used for translation files, though many, many other texts would need tokens as well.

So it might look like
[REACHED_PEAK:"Du hast den Gipfel des %PEAK_NAME% erklommen.]
[CREATURE_BLIZZARD_MAN_PREFSTRING_2:eiszapfenartigen Zähne]

The latter does mean that such strings would have to be definable in the raws (so rather than [PREFSTRING:terrifying features], we might have [PREFSTRING:COMMON_PREFSTRING_TERRIFYING]), and that mods would have to be able to provide additional translation files.
The only way I can think that the TrueType implementation would make a difference would be if there was some sort of code that intercepted the text and output a translated version. Causing that to be viable would be a not insignificant amount of work for Baughn, and would have fairly poor results.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1232 on: September 24, 2010, 05:41:35 pm »

The only way I can think that the TrueType implementation would make a difference would be if there was some sort of code that intercepted the text and output a translated version. Causing that to be viable would be a not insignificant amount of work for Baughn, and would have fairly poor results.

TrueType helps because it allows Unicode characters instead of just being limited to Code Page 437 characters.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: September 24, 2010, 06:34:03 pm »

Do traders bring wagons again?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: September 24, 2010, 06:42:18 pm »

TrueType helps because it allows Unicode characters instead of just being limited to Code Page 437 characters.

Using real fonts also allows them to be rendered sanely at arbitrary resolutions (to a reasonable degree), as well as not having to rely on fixed-width bitmaps.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: September 25, 2010, 01:08:18 am »

Speaking of which, is anybody running the TrueType fonts normally, and if so, which fonts do you suggest?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: September 27, 2010, 12:28:43 pm »

Speaking of which, is anybody running the TrueType fonts normally, and if so, which fonts do you suggest?

I've been running with Arial - downside is that I'm missing many special characters.  Upside is that text is easy to read and my wall-ends are no longer 'O's.  Haven't really run into anything buggy with it - it isn't fully implemented for everything, but that's incompleteness of the project, not an issue with implementation. 
where is up?

Accelerator

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: September 28, 2010, 09:44:44 am »

I've been running with Arial - downside is that I'm missing many special characters.  Upside is that text is easy to read and my wall-ends are no longer 'O's.  Haven't really run into anything buggy with it - it isn't fully implemented for everything, but that's incompleteness of the project, not an issue with implementation.

I've been using Liberation Sans - it's designed with the same metrics as Arial, is free to distribute, and supposedly includes all codepage 437 characters. In practice there are still a few symbols missing, most notably the upper case Gamma / weight symbol.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1238 on: September 28, 2010, 01:11:54 pm »

I've been using Dejavu Sans, and its working beautifully. Missing characters are still present though.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Vox Nihili

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1239 on: September 29, 2010, 02:50:48 pm »

Do you think we could get a quick bugfix for the lack of invasions/intruders of any kind in worlds generated in .13+.14?  Do you think this fix will allow worlds generated before .15 to receive invaders?

Have you seen the bug report for the easy to fix raws issue that afflicts antmen and at least one other type of beastman?  Essentially, their lifespan is set to be shorter than the period it takes for them to grow up, so they're always created as child-sized and die off very quickly- it would take about five second to rectify.  I know amphibian men also have a similar problem, not sure about all the others.

Edit:  Both have been addressed.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 01:44:50 pm by Vox Nihili »

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: September 30, 2010, 10:18:03 am »

When can we expect to get wilderness populations to regenerate? I want to attempt to a fortress heavily based on hunting but one eventually runs out of game.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: September 30, 2010, 10:25:38 am »

People are posting fonts they have tried here - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67112.0
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: September 30, 2010, 01:05:09 pm »

People are posting fonts they have tried here - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=67112.0
Thanks.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1243 on: October 01, 2010, 08:22:53 am »

When a justice system is put into the game, will the town's religion have impact on the justice? I could imagine a religion of love letting you off with a warning but a religion of chaos burying you waste deep in a murky pool so the rain would drown you.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 08:36:25 am by Medicine Man »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: October 01, 2010, 10:17:34 am »

Well, you know, if you want to get all philosophical, evil benefits from chaos and spreads it. So, evil promotes chaos. But you're right: chaos doesn't really equal or mean anything specific. It just means the lack of order.

It's one of those words which is defined only by what it is not.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.
Pages: 1 ... 81 82 [83] 84 85 ... 342