Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572045 times)

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #300 on: July 09, 2010, 06:17:48 am »

That's entirely dependent on how Toady will resolve undead health. Right now, he's had to fudge in an HP system for undead when everything else doesn't use HP anymore. So the question is what, if any, common thread of 'durability'/'health' will the general Creatures of the Night have. Whether they're dependent on the intactness of the physical body or not.

It might not be as hard if he adds some kind of ectoplasm-like substance acting like blood so that skeletal creature with crushed bone would leak it, make skull site for "soul" which would release it when broken resulting in instakill and rib-cage site for "ectoplasm source" which would result in massive mystical bleeding out.

It really depends on how becoming and being undead skeleton is modelled and if that is done sensibly, health could be working quite naturaly.

Shogger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 09, 2010, 08:36:47 am »

That's entirely dependent on how Toady will resolve undead health. Right now, he's had to fudge in an HP system for undead when everything else doesn't use HP anymore. So the question is what, if any, common thread of 'durability'/'health' will the general Creatures of the Night have. Whether they're dependent on the intactness of the physical body or not.

It might not be as hard if he adds some kind of ectoplasm-like substance acting like blood so that skeletal creature with crushed bone would leak it, make skull site for "soul" which would release it when broken resulting in instakill and rib-cage site for "ectoplasm source" which would result in massive mystical bleeding out.

It really depends on how becoming and being undead skeleton is modelled and if that is done sensibly, health could be working quite naturaly.

By doing that, however, you'd make skeletal creatures no different from living ones in that you simply need to bleed them out to kill them.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 09, 2010, 09:26:59 am »

Much too inflexible for Toady's vision of randomly generated Creatures of the Night, which will exhibit all range of undead traits. That means some skeletons won't stay down no matter how much you pulverize their bones because they're actually wraiths that happen to conveniently have a medium to easily manipulate in the physical realm. Some undead will be nigh unkillable except for some special metal like silver. Some will regenerate no matter what unless some specific location is targetted for no apparent logical reason (but you'll get hints where to attack based on villager tales). And some will be modellable with ectoplasm-like blood.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: July 09, 2010, 12:57:51 pm »

Question on marksdwarves: If you give them the order to kill a target and they are up in a tower, but on the wrong side, will they go try to find a place near them where they can shoot or will they run out of the tower to go find the enemy on the ground and then start shooting?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 09, 2010, 03:42:06 pm »

Kattaroten has entered a fell mood
Kattaroten screams: I need moving fortress parts!
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: July 09, 2010, 09:42:15 pm »

Umbrageofsnow sketches pictures of elevators.
Umbrageofsnow sketches pictures of Howl's Moving Castle.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 09, 2010, 11:30:49 pm »

Kattaroten has entered a fell mood
Kattaroten screams: I need moving fortress parts!

Your fortress has crumbled to its end.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 10, 2010, 02:01:26 am »

so rumor is the new release is today. but according to the dev page theirs only 3 minor adventure mode improvements complete, and alot of planned ideas.. or am i missing something

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: July 10, 2010, 02:03:05 am »

so rumor is the new release is today. but according to the dev page theirs only 3 minor adventure mode improvements complete, and alot of planned ideas.. or am i missing something
You are missing http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php?version_id=10

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: July 10, 2010, 02:24:56 am »

You are missing http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/changelog_page.php?version_id=10

i See now.. bugfixes r nice :) was hoping for info on new additions tho..

Although
- 0000361: [Dwarf Mode -- Combat] Cannot get dwarves to use crossbows properly (Toady One) - resolved.
- 0000076: [Dwarf Mode -- Jobs, Hunting] Hunters not hunting (Toady One) - resolved.

are awesomeeeeeeeeeee

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 10, 2010, 04:07:07 am »

Oddly enough I can't even see the bug tracker... and I don't want to make an entirely new account just to see it either.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 10, 2010, 04:28:17 am »

Oddly enough I can't even see the bug tracker... and I don't want to make an entirely new account just to see it either.

The bug tracker is actually a fantastically cool place where awesome people hang out, so you may want to reconsider!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 04:36:16 pm by Footkerchief »

Cespinarve

• Bay Watcher
  • Lege lege lege relege labora et invenies
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 10, 2010, 04:18:09 pm »

The bug tracker is actually a fantastically cool place where awesome people to hang out, so you may want to reconsider!

It's also where we bicker over the minutiae of wether or not an arsenal dwarf is an important enough position to be spoken using a definite or non-definite Personal Noun ("I am arsenal dwarf" or "I am the arsenal dwarf").

Which is synonymous with awesome, in my books.
Nice one, not sure when I'll be feeling like killing a baby but these things are good to know.
This is why we can't have nice things... someone will just wind up filling it with corpses.
Arrakis teaches the attitude of the knife — chopping off what's incomplete and saying: "Now it's complete because it's ended here."

FuzzyDoom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 10, 2010, 05:01:11 pm »

I know people have trouble with Hunters but on my last fort that I abandoned yesterday for...well...really no reason, my manager (who also had all Hunting/Related labors on...forgot to turn them off when I made him Manager) went out hunting and took down and brought in 3 different Mountain Goats with his Crossbow...that he got from somewhere I think. He might've come with it, don't remember.
Also bear in mind that dwarves have their heads at a perfect height for a good face-kicking.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 10, 2010, 05:59:45 pm »

The bug tracker is actually a fantastically cool place where awesome people hang out, so you may want to reconsider!

Well I signed up and was hit with a giant wave of disapointment... None of that stuff is there.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 342