Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572404 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1680 on: November 03, 2010, 07:29:30 am »

Maybe I'm weird but I always saw constructed ramps as stairs (with the handrails designed in such a way that a wagon can line their wheels up with them and go up them unobstructed) while I saw stairs more like ladders.

All the visualizers I'm aware of never really made stairs look good anyway which seems to indicate that they are hard to explain.  Stonesense gives them a generic snes era stair sprite, which isn't contiguous.  DF to minecraft makes them into a sorta spiral stair, but it's awkward to travel, and you certainly couldn't fall down them or shoot through them.  And the DF to Saurbraten converter makes them look more like ladders.  And again you can't see, fall or shoot through them like you can in DF.

The comparison of stairs to antigrav tubes seems really apt and I'm probably going to see them like that for now on.

...reminds me of X-Com Apocalypse...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

KillHour

• Bay Watcher
  • One of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: November 03, 2010, 09:27:21 am »

Maybe I'm weird but I always saw constructed ramps as stairs (with the handrails designed in such a way that a wagon can line their wheels up with them and go up them unobstructed) while I saw stairs more like ladders.

All the visualizers I'm aware of never really made stairs look good anyway which seems to indicate that they are hard to explain.  Stonesense gives them a generic snes era stair sprite, which isn't contiguous.  DF to minecraft makes them into a sorta spiral stair, but it's awkward to travel, and you certainly couldn't fall down them or shoot through them.  And the DF to Saurbraten converter makes them look more like ladders.  And again you can't see, fall or shoot through them like you can in DF.

The comparison of stairs to antigrav tubes seems really apt and I'm probably going to see them like that for now on.

...reminds me of X-Com Apocalypse...

There's a DF - Sauerbraten converter?  ???

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1682 on: November 03, 2010, 02:33:55 pm »

Hold on, Sheep, pigs, AND chickens? That's so crazy!

Will they be able to loose feathers in combat?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: November 03, 2010, 02:41:36 pm »

Hold on, Sheep, pigs, AND chickens? That's so crazy!

Will they be able to loose feathers in combat?

Not unless the feather tissue gets fleshed out a little, so to speak.  We already have feathery creatures and the feathers are basically ignored during combat, AFAIK.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: November 03, 2010, 03:04:08 pm »

Hold on, Sheep, pigs, AND chickens?
That means sheep- pig- and chickensploison!!!  ::)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: November 03, 2010, 03:08:37 pm »

Hold on, Sheep, pigs, AND chickens?
That means sheep- pig- and chickensploison!!!  ::)

Psh maybe in your wimpy forts but in mine we will have a rotary saw built at the edges of the fences

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: November 03, 2010, 03:27:52 pm »

One thing I haven't seen asked yet: Does the aiming thing apply to ranged weapons and throwing? Or is that still mostly random?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: November 03, 2010, 03:30:08 pm »

Well with Aimed attacks in place do you think you could go on into basic "Martial arts" next? It would be nice to do  some Akido-like counter attacks or Karate-blows.

Apart from that some questions:

How do the kicker, dodger and related skills influence the fighting opportunities?
Are Kicking, punching considered as valid attacks if you have for example one hand free so you could punch the other guy to knock him out?
Do these aimed attacks work for Ranged weapons too? Will spitting cobras aim for your eyes?
Is Armor taken into account thus will the Ai attack an un-armored part of someones body if the rest is to hard to get through?

edit: Also thanks again for the WoT made from Answers.

here it was the question about ranged 'stuff'

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: November 03, 2010, 03:32:34 pm »

Whoop, guess I missed that. Darker green text makes my eyes hurt when I read it so I tend to skip over them if they're too long.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: November 03, 2010, 04:10:46 pm »

How have fistfights been affected by this change, now that we can box people in the head?
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: November 03, 2010, 05:21:52 pm »

How have fistfights been affected by this change, now that we can box people in the head?

What aspect of fistfights are you asking about?  Punches aren't that different from strikes with a weapon in DF.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:17 pm »

I'm just wondering how the general pace of unarmed combat has been affected. If I remember correctly a solid blow to the head can cause unconsciousness, and we can aim for a headshot specifically now.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: November 03, 2010, 06:12:07 pm »

I'm just wondering how the general pace of unarmed combat has been affected. If I remember correctly a solid blow to the head can cause unconsciousness, and we can aim for a headshot specifically now.

I think you've just answered yourself.  :P :)
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #1693 on: November 03, 2010, 06:38:48 pm »

Ooh, reclaim bugs are getting fixed!
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: November 03, 2010, 06:39:19 pm »

I'm guessing that to-hit rates will be substantially lowered for non-opportunity strikes.

Yes, you can keep aiming for the head, but you might never *hit*.  Is it better to keep trying for the unlikely headshot, or should you take an easy cheap shot at kneecapping the guy instead?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 342