Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572199 times)

Miko19

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #1890 on: November 11, 2010, 12:51:45 pm »

heh

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1891 on: November 11, 2010, 12:52:44 pm »

Right now artifacts are worth an amount of dwarfbux that is simply so large it's practically worthless. You can trade it for an entire wagon of supplies if you feel like getting .01% of it's value or you can just let it sit around gathering dust and making dwarfs sully their pants with joy.
Actually, you can't trade artifacts.
I've actually never tired trading them because It  would be a massive waste of money.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: November 11, 2010, 12:57:16 pm »

Has anyone noticed that you cant trade goblets? I had a few hundred of them, but the only ones I could trade were the ones that shared a bin with a sellable craft.

Stormrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: November 11, 2010, 01:03:05 pm »

2 more hours to go whhheee!

qbert911

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: November 11, 2010, 01:08:03 pm »

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE  :o

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: November 11, 2010, 01:08:16 pm »

I'd think the time was more of an approximation than a solid fact. Might be as much as four or even five hours. Might not be.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: November 11, 2010, 01:08:28 pm »

Right now artifacts are worth an amount of dwarfbux that is simply so large it's practically worthless. You can trade it for an entire wagon of supplies if you feel like getting .01% of it's value or you can just let it sit around gathering dust and making dwarfs sully their pants with joy. In the future, as the caravan and army arcs pick up, will artifacts see some some sort of expanded use, such as buying armies of soldiers from neighboring civs, causing armies to invade for the express purpose of stealing the artifact etc.?

There was a lot about this in the old dev items:

# ARTIFACT ARC: Special items made by the dwarves aren't very interesting right now, and there's not much for an adventurer to do with them. These objects should have magical powers and they should have a huge influence on the actions of entities that come into contact with them. Even if your adventurer can't make use of a particular artifact, you could arrange for buyers in the nobility, and use those opportunitites to get a home or good entity standing, for instance. Related to Core79, Core80, Req395, Bloat49, Bloat173, PowerGoal13, PowerGoal60, PowerGoal68 and PowerGoal134.

# Core79, COLLECTORS AND FINDING BUYERS, (Future): As an extension of the dwarf mode system of likes and dislikes, you should be able to find people that are collecting objects, starting with simple objects like coins and bugs. It should also be an adventure unto itself to find a buyer for many valuable objects, if you want to get more than a local merchant would be able to provide, and news of your acquisition should keep your life interesting.

# Bloat173, FINDING BUYERS, (Future): Arranging for buyers for artifacts. It could be harder to access nobles, and this might be a challenge.

# PowerGoal13, ARTIFACT QUEST, (Future): You pledge to the human king that you will recover a lost artifact that is in the willful possession of a monster.

# PowerGoal134, AND WHEN YOU FIND IT, WHAT WILL YOU DO WITH IT?, (Future): The scribe Arcania writes down the last known location of the sacred skull of Aa on a map which is torn in two pieces and hidden in widely-separated regions of the world.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=30026.msg602725;topicseen#msg602725
Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Dakk
Is there any other uses for artifacts planned that doesn't involve the magic arc? Such as making whoever has the benefit of using an artifact weapon or owning any artifact of any kind very happy, a commander carrying a important artifact in battle increasing his/her's soldiers morale, possibly increasing their ability to go into battle trance, and more negative results of losing an artifact?

There used to be a system by which artifacts became "possessed" (as in ownership), "hidden" (as in some loser hiding it) or "dropped".  The dwarves would pass along the artifact as long as it was dropped, and any dwarf that picked up the artifact and decided to get a possessed marker on it would seek to get it back, until it was hidden (at which point your adventurer could go to find it).  That's obviously a little to strange to come back, but that's kind of what we are thinking in a vague way -- they don't have to be magical at all to be coveted and influence decisions overall.  Dwarves aren't really autonomous enough at this point to have higher goals like this with any kind of precision, but that should come with job priorities the way we're thinking about them at this point.  There was also a notion for any valuable object of having your adventurer be able to arrange for them to come into the ownership of important people, which is one way you might move up in the world, but that's also unformed.

The Artifact Arc should see the legends expanded -- artifacts were originally going to be the main focus of the game, but they faded back a bit.  In the future, the power of artifacts will bring them back to the forefront.  This was part of the point of Threetoe's story Heroes of the Coast.  In these stories, Threetoe often focused on some set of planned features.  In Heroes, the idea is that dwarven artifacts which have become scattered throughout the world in many games can be quested for and then used for some purpose.  Currently, it keeps track of every time an artifact changes hands, though it might be hard (impossible?) to reveal these events right now, don't remember.  It also tracks the maker, and whether the artifact was destroyed, but not much more.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1897 on: November 11, 2010, 01:10:27 pm »

Yeah, don't count hours, it's pointless.  Just assume that there is a good chance that the game will come out today. Check back every so often and if it doesn't come out then be patient because it's obviously close.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: November 11, 2010, 01:10:37 pm »

Has anyone noticed that you cant trade goblets? I had a few hundred of them, but the only ones I could trade were the ones that shared a bin with a sellable craft.
What are you talking about? I sold countless of goblets. They just have no category in the "bring to depot"-screen so you have to search them by letter.

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: November 11, 2010, 01:11:34 pm »

Lets get this back on topic shall we?

Right now artifacts are worth an amount of dwarfbux that is simply so large it's practically worthless. You can trade it for an entire wagon of supplies if you feel like getting .01% of it's value or you can just let it sit around gathering dust and making dwarfs sully their pants with joy. In the future, as the caravan and army arcs pick up, will artifacts see some some sort of expanded use, such as buying armies of soldiers from neighboring civs, causing armies to invade for the express purpose of stealing the artifact etc.?

I think part of the goal of the Caravan Arc will be to balance out those kinds of trade imbalances. If you want to trade away a pile of artifacts, you should be able to make arrangements with the liaisons. And should their civ be willing, and capable of affording your Planepacked, they will load their caravans with the appropriate quantity and value of goods. I imagine the Liaison interface getting a little more in depth, and specific trades could be made ahead of time. 20 full sets of exceptional steel arms and equipments from the neighboring mountainhome for an artifact flute and two bins of dyed and decorated giant spider silk socks.

Big ticket purchases always involve some middle men and even today can involve years of planning and negotiation.

Though fix prices are reportedly on the way out, <speculation> so I guess one civilizations valuation of your socks might be quite different from another's. And hopefully they'll both value them as socks primarily, and might have no current need for a large import of luxury hosiery. The same could apply to artifacts, with one civ willing to pay anything for that flute, but another perhaps less musically inclined civ would have no interest in a flute, be it a gemstone artifact or schist. </speculation>

Some more broad applications of wealth would be awesome too, the buying of peace or of war. Hiring a company of elite Troll hammerers. Shopping for the perfect artifact battle axe for your favorite champion, once the rest of the world starts getting in on the artifact game that is. I love the idea of carpentering up a caravan, loading it full of gem encrusted platinum jewelry and chests of coins, assigning some trustworthy guardsmen and dispatching it in exchange for some world altering purchase. How would you spend your 10 million dwarfmids?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: November 11, 2010, 01:15:01 pm »

What are you talking about? I sold countless of goblets. They just have no category in the "bring to depot"-screen so you have to search them by letter.
Thanks

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: November 11, 2010, 01:18:54 pm »

Yeah, don't count hours, it's pointless.  Just assume that there is a good chance that the game will come out today. Check back every so often and if it doesn't come out then be patient because it's obviously close.
There ain't no way to fight it. The ETA is 3:00 PMish, and by golly, I'll be checking my watch, illogical or not. Anticipation is a strange beast.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: November 11, 2010, 01:24:42 pm »

I almost wish they hadn't said anything, this is going to be the longest hour and a half of my life.
Shoes...

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: November 11, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »

ITT: People are at once joyous and annoyed at an ETA they've been asking for for several days.

:')
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #1904 on: November 11, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »

ITT: People are at once joyous and annoyed at an ETA they've been asking for for several days.

:')
I don't think annoyed is the proper term
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 342