Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572058 times)

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3840 on: February 26, 2011, 08:14:24 am »

You mean Cans of Beef?
[/derail]

afaik you can't
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: February 26, 2011, 03:36:58 pm »

Possibly a stupid question and one that will probably be answered before you even read this:

I just read the description of the Giant Earthworm.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Does this mean you have added [TUNNELLING] as a tag and method of movement?

It should be called a Rockworm or maybe a Sqyrm (as in Wyrm) ;).

You realize you could have spent less time checking the raws than you took to ask the question, right?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: February 26, 2011, 04:39:10 pm »

yep.
Isa form o socializing. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: February 26, 2011, 06:18:00 pm »

So what are your plans for cobaltite and cinnabar?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: February 26, 2011, 06:30:00 pm »

Dunna furgit hornblende and ...uh... that other green glowy stuff.

saltpeter, rocksalt.
I guess they are there for when the alchemy gets an overhaul...and salted pork/fish!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:32:27 pm by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: February 26, 2011, 06:39:35 pm »

Cobalt is pretty far beyond the technological realm of possibility here, although cinnabar mining isn't, and I don't think mercury extraction from cinnabar even requires much of a "smelting" operation, per se (I think it mostly consists of tumbling the broken rock in a high-heat environment).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: February 26, 2011, 06:58:07 pm »

I'd love to see salt in DF.  Historically it was extremely important (and a major trade good). 

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: February 26, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »

Back to boats:

Is there any reason to expect a 1 to 1 correlation between location inside the ship and location outside?  What I mean is, when you're on the ship, calculate your location in relation to the ship.  If you jump out, calculate a 'best guess' square to land in based on where the ship is.  Then all you need to do is handle normal movement(Display as whatever angle you want, but move 1 up 1 across style) and parking (since docks will be on the grid, a docked ship has to align to the grid to dock.).

Added bonus: Reference frame for everything on the ship is to the ship, so you don't have to think about anything on the ship when you move it.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: February 26, 2011, 08:39:41 pm »

Cobalt is pretty far beyond the technological realm of possibility here, although cinnabar mining isn't, and I don't think mercury extraction from cinnabar even requires much of a "smelting" operation, per se (I think it mostly consists of tumbling the broken rock in a high-heat environment).

I don't know if they were talking about smelting necessarily; cobalt and cinnabar have historically been used as blue and red pigments. I could see them being used as ingredients in the dyer's workshop.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: February 26, 2011, 08:48:45 pm »

Cobalt has been used for making crap blue since ancient times. To quote, "Cobalt compounds have been used for centuries to impart a rich blue color to glass, glazes, and ceramics. Cobalt has been detected in Egyptian sculpture and Persian jewelry from the third millennium BC, in the ruins of Pompeii (destroyed AD 79), and in China dating from the Tang dynasty (AD 618–907) and the Ming dynasty (AD 1368–1644).[8]" and furthermore, "Cobalt has been used to color glass since the Bronze Age. The excavation of the Uluburun shipwreck yielded an ingot of blue glass, which was cast during the 14th century BC.[9][10] Blue glass items from Egypt are colored with copper, iron, or cobalt. The oldest cobalt-colored glass was from the time of the Eighteenth dynasty in Egypt (1550–1292 BC)."

Cinnabar has a similar history, with an added bonus of body painting by the Romans.

That article also taught me that Cobalt is from the German kobalt, from kobold, meaning goblin. Whee!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: February 26, 2011, 08:54:48 pm »

When I said "cobalt" I meant elemental (i.e. metallic) cobalt.

I know that there were some cobalt compounds (maybe just cobalt oxide of some sort?) used to color glass and porcelain in various areas here and there throughout history, but I have no idea what compounds they use, and have suspicions that they weren't derived from cobaltite.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: February 26, 2011, 09:23:26 pm »

Cobaltite is a compound of cobalt, arsenic, and sulphur. It is the principle modern source of cobalt.

A bit of further digging popped up Cobalt blue, which is a compound of cobalt monoxide and aluminum-oxide. It has existed in impure form for centuries and was the source of cobalt in chinese porcelain, but was only produced on a large scale in 1807.

Cobalt Monoxide has a shoddy wiki entry which mentions that cobalt monoxide is one the ingredients in cobalt blue, and also suggests that it was used independently to make blue glazes and glass.

Further digging also brought me to cobalt poisoning, which makes me wish for more syndromes.

I'm pretty well along on a wiki walk now, but as far as this discussion it looks like ancient cultures got cobalt wherever they could, and often didn't realize that it was the cobalt in whatever compound they were using that gave the blue color. Whether cobaltite was the most common source or is just a catchall term used by DF is unclear.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: February 26, 2011, 10:22:46 pm »

Back to boats:

Is there any reason to expect a 1 to 1 correlation between location inside the ship and location outside?  What I mean is, when you're on the ship, calculate your location in relation to the ship.  If you jump out, calculate a 'best guess' square to land in based on where the ship is.  Then all you need to do is handle normal movement(Display as whatever angle you want, but move 1 up 1 across style) and parking (since docks will be on the grid, a docked ship has to align to the grid to dock.).

Added bonus: Reference frame for everything on the ship is to the ship, so you don't have to think about anything on the ship when you move it.

Granite is smart.  These are good ideas.

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #3853 on: February 27, 2011, 01:14:18 am »

Quote from: Chthonic
Granite is smart.  These are good ideas.

Someone thought it was a good idea to send seven random "volunteers" into the wilderness to start a settlement. Then someone thought it was a good idea to send a contingent from the lye-makers local 153 to said settlement...

Both "good" and "ideas" have fluid meanings in and around Dwarf Fortress.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: February 27, 2011, 03:32:23 am »

Back to boats:

Post it here please: Vehicles Megathread
yeah, while on a ship or vehicle (i.e. adventure mode) you have the view centered on the ship, and coordinates for that marked relative to the ship. you could have the same thing for AI ingame, just make them move to a certain spot on the ship (the "docking deck zone" or whatever) and then onto shore.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 342