Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1571997 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3900 on: March 02, 2011, 07:41:00 am »

mods are like alternate realities. :3
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 10:52:50 am by Areyar »
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: March 02, 2011, 08:42:44 am »

Well the actual question would be if we can get a selfhetching egg. We have now eggs and itemcorpses so could i create now a proper phoenix(?) that keeps killing stuff for centurys with fire?

According to the wiki, eggs won't hatch unless fertilized by a male, so I don't think you can make them self-hatching.

What if you add the male AND female tags?
mods are like alternate realities. :?
Pretty much...  there's a fallout mod for df with supermutants and everything.  a few zombie survival mods, and just about every alternate culture you can think of.

most people just mod in stuff to make the game easier/harder though

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: March 02, 2011, 08:48:08 am »

I do all sorts of insane, half-working mods for myself. I made rocket launchers and even (1 square  :P) nukes.
But yeah, it's mostly to just add to the experience.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3903 on: March 02, 2011, 10:52:15 am »

hmm....Did those nukes have towercap clouds?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: March 02, 2011, 02:23:01 pm »

Are you planning on ever implementing browsing animals? Right now all herbivores are grazers, but lots of animals eat basically only shrubs and trees.

If you read through the raw entries on actual browsing animals (giraffes and the like) there are notes from Toady about browsing.  Presumably this means he wants to include it at some point, but it is unlikely to occur before multi-tile vegetation gets some attention. 

Yeah, someone else posted the quote in the Modding forum:

The elephant raw entry has a note:

Quote from: creature_large_tropical.txt
   [GRAZER:12] don't have browsing trees yet

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: March 02, 2011, 03:17:12 pm »

That sounds like trees WHICH browse, not trees FOR browsing.  (I know which one it is, yeah, but the concept of trees roaming around nomming smaller trees and/or shrubs is terrifying and awesome.  And now I think that would make an awesome creature, if you set up their armor and limbs such that they're most vulnerable to axes, and made them drop wood when killed.)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: March 02, 2011, 03:21:32 pm »

That sounds like trees WHICH browse, not trees FOR browsing.  (I know which one it is, yeah, but the concept of trees roaming around nomming smaller trees and/or shrubs is terrifying and awesome.  And now I think that would make an awesome creature, if you set up their armor and limbs such that they're most vulnerable to axes, and made them drop wood when killed.)

Now I need to mod a grazing tree-creature into the game. That's awesome.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: March 02, 2011, 03:26:45 pm »

Back in 40d I made a "glumprong" creature that was extremely slow but appeared in massive numbers and ambushed. Naturally it'd only appear in evil forests alongside "benign" glumprongs.

I also attempted to make it so that the creature used its shadow to attack via some bodypart trickery, but I don't think I ever got it to work properly.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: March 02, 2011, 05:48:26 pm »

Grazing plant-creatures? Like this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetable_Lamb_of_Tartary

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3909 on: March 02, 2011, 05:51:44 pm »

Back in 40d I made a "glumprong" creature that was extremely slow but appeared in massive numbers and ambushed. Naturally it'd only appear in evil forests alongside "benign" glumprongs.

I also attempted to make it so that the creature used its shadow to attack via some bodypart trickery, but I don't think I ever got it to work properly.

if you use feathers it works. Attacks pass through feathers (or at least they used to). I was going to use it to make "smoke creatures", but did not know enough about modding to create new bodyparts out of it.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: March 02, 2011, 07:13:37 pm »

An Ent then?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: March 02, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »

I also attempted to make it so that the creature used its shadow to attack

D8

I was already planning to jump my characters in a tabletop RPG with that, but it's still CREEPY AS HELL.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: March 02, 2011, 10:31:21 pm »

Well the actual question would be if we can get a selfhetching egg. We have now eggs and itemcorpses so could i create now a proper phoenix(?) that keeps killing stuff for centurys with fire?

According to the wiki, eggs won't hatch unless fertilized by a male, so I don't think you can make them self-hatching.

What if you add the male AND female tags?

[MALE] and [FEMALE], as far as I know, are mutually exclusive. A caste can't be both; one will override the other, although I'm not sure what has priority (probably either the first or second listed in the definition).

As far as unusual eggs turning into creatures, I assume it works the same way as item-corpses do, in that you can't create full-fledged creatures with them.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: March 02, 2011, 10:47:55 pm »

Civilizations are starving in world gen, in part because the caravans of food aren't set up yet.  Will civilizations continue to starve if they can't afford the food?  Will there be cities/whatever that can't feed themselves without trade (from areas beyond their immediate zone of influence), such that sudden price changes will cause starvation?  How will food be distributed?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: March 02, 2011, 11:54:06 pm »

Civilizations are starving in world gen, in part because the caravans of food aren't set up yet.  Will civilizations continue to starve if they can't afford the food?  Will there be cities/whatever that can't feed themselves without trade (from areas beyond their immediate zone of influence), such that sudden price changes will cause starvation?...
I hope so.  That's often how famines happen in the real world, and the same should be true in DF.  Plus, once adventurers can lead caravans, it would be the perfect hook for a "please go procure grain for my/our people" quests.
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 342