Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1569294 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #3915 on: March 03, 2011, 07:42:58 am »

Do you have code to stop pregnant women from having moods, so that actually having the baby doesn't interrupt the mood?  If so, why are pregnant women the LEAST moody dwarves?  If so, how does that work?  Urist cancels 'Make awesome artifact, seeking infant'?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: March 03, 2011, 08:56:28 am »

Do you have code to stop pregnant women from having moods, so that actually having the baby doesn't interrupt the mood?  If so, why are pregnant women the LEAST moody dwarves?  If so, how does that work?  Urist cancels 'Make awesome artifact, seeking infant'?
the child is used as a material. Artefact decorated with spikes of infant. ;)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: March 03, 2011, 07:23:28 pm »

if you use feathers it works. Attacks pass through feathers (or at least they used to). I was going to use it to make "smoke creatures", but did not know enough about modding to create new bodyparts out of it.

That's due to the feather tissue being so thin it's practically non-existent. You'll get the same effect if you make a really tiny creature (it'd have to be a vermin to be small enough) and try to attack it.

That in mind, the idea is probably possible in .31, but making the parts too incorporeal to be attacked yet still strong enough to attack with might be a bother.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 07:58:49 pm by 3 »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3918 on: March 03, 2011, 07:25:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure it's reciprocal; a body part which gets "passed through" when attacked will probably do no more damage to an opposing body part.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: March 03, 2011, 08:35:47 pm »

You're right, but I just thought of something: if the tissue's made out of vapour, that'll get "thrown" with each attack, much like what occurs with a fire man (they deal no physical damage whatsoever, just break up on contact). I guess the same thing could be done with the tissue in a liquid state but still with high physical values (or something) for a physical effect. That's getting a bit far from the original concept, though (much like this derail).

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: March 04, 2011, 01:55:35 pm »

first:
considering you want to get to fights between ships and giant squid and such at some point wouldnt it be more wise to rename the 'roc' to 'ziz' as it fits better with leviathan and behemoth? cause you know, leviathan would be like an imperative at sea(at least as far as i see it) and adding behemoth wouldnt change too much, considering the existence of some other megabeasts

second:
do you plan on making the races more diverse(at least later on, when more races are available in fortress mode)? right now, all the races are just like different flavours of humans. yeah, they have their own culture and habits and ethics and morphologies, but those differences also exist between, lets say the chinese and some african tribe. i thought more of something along the lines of goblins actually being humanoid carnivorous plants or something like that. this one, for example, could actually help explain their ethics(lives are expendable) and where they take their numbers from(i never could imagine goblins to have intersexual relationships of any kind, in my mind theyre asexual and just coming from _somewhere_).

third:
do you plan to include 'throwing us bones', like adding a 'prepared meals' category to the 'bring to depot' list or making 'bone/shell' or 'wood' additional options when choosing materials for your military dwarves' equipment , while doing the next few releases, as they would only contain bugfixes, as far as i understood. you know, just easy and fast to implement stuff(at least i think my examples are like that) to prevent having several releases without anything added. i guess it would also help to keep your income at a bearable level.

forth:
right now, i have the impression the opportunity-attacks are just some random numbers thrown around, so will the opportunities ever be the actual result of relative positions changing? for example like after i do a swinging attack with my right arm, my right shoulder gets exposed, or attacking the enemies head after he made a step to _my_ left with _his_ left foot, so i can get around his mask

fifth:
i assume youre already planing to make an elbow-check with armplates that are 'decorated with spikes of steel' some combination attack of piercing and bludgeoning, but will stirking with your shield(or a spiked shield for that matter) ever become some real smiting instead of just a misc. object-use? shields are already ingame and in RL you can use them as very good weaponry, even if they have no spikes or sharp edges or whatever. in addition some controllable pushback (kicks with pushback too? maybe just shoving/poking?) can be very usefull when mounts and real charging comes around or just near a cliff...

yes, i am aware that i can achieve many things easily through modding and im already modding in chaincoifs, tower shields a slashing attack for spears(you can do other things with the tip of a spear than stab, and quite effective stuff at that...) and some other stuff. but those are still things i would prefer to see in the official release.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #3921 on: March 04, 2011, 02:00:35 pm »

eux0r: Those are good suggestions. They should go in the suggestions forum.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: March 04, 2011, 02:46:56 pm »

eux0r: Those are good suggestions. They should go in the suggestions forum.

yeah, youre probably right, i was also thinking about posting the stuff there, but in the end, i was too interested in toady's thoughts on that stuff and from the lurking ive done before i got the impression, this forum gets the most replies from him.

edit: added reasons for me posting here

in addition: all those points are more or less already on the list of additions
1: magabeasts will get some kind of remake, at least when multitiles come in and when dragons get their wings and stuff
2: races will get some changes like when elves get their forest retreats and when you can fortress with more than just dwarves
3: all interfaces will probably get some kind of remake when all the features are in
4/5: there already seems to be some gradual development of the fighting over time
this makes those points somewhat less like suggestions but more like asking for details of the changes coming at some point or when this point will be, so i still think the post is not misplaced here
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:04:52 pm by eux0r »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: March 04, 2011, 02:58:56 pm »

Toady wouldn't answer to questions regarding suggestions, or no one would post in the suggestion forum anymore.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 03:01:20 pm by thvaz »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: March 04, 2011, 06:35:13 pm »

first:
considering you want to get to fights between ships and giant squid and such at some point wouldnt it be more wise to rename the 'roc' to 'ziz' as it fits better with leviathan and behemoth? cause you know, leviathan would be like an imperative at sea(at least as far as i see it) and adding behemoth wouldnt change too much, considering the existence of some other megabeasts

I don't understand.  It only "fits better" in the sense that they're all from Jewish mythology, but the point of megabeasts has never been to coherently emulate a particular mythology.  Moreover, leviathans and behemoths lack interesting attributes and nobody knows what a ziz is.

second:
do you plan on making the races more diverse(at least later on, when more races are available in fortress mode)? right now, all the races are just like different flavours of humans. yeah, they have their own culture and habits and ethics and morphologies, but those differences also exist between, lets say the chinese and some african tribe. i thought more of something along the lines of goblins actually being humanoid carnivorous plants or something like that. this one, for example, could actually help explain their ethics(lives are expendable) and where they take their numbers from(i never could imagine goblins to have intersexual relationships of any kind, in my mind theyre asexual and just coming from _somewhere_).

It's a long-term goal:

# Core87, PROPER DWARVES, (Future): Dwarves are, of course, proper when they are played in dwarf mode, but their sites in adventure mode are completely lacking and their society isn't really realized anywhere outside of dwarf mode play. They need to be brought up to standards throughout the world and in adventure mode. Also note, for this and the following three core items, there will be some emphasis not on just building up the stock universe, but extending modding/random possibilities for all civilizations by providing these as fleshed-out and somewhat diverse examples.
# Core88, PROPER ELVES, (Future): As with the dwarves, the current elves, especially their sites, suffer from a lack of almost everything. Multi-tile trees, how the druids and the regional forces interact, their relationship with animals and the animal peoples, their dining habits in-game rather than just in world generation...
# Core89, PROPER GOBLINS, (Future): At the very least, the role of baby-snatching needs to be further sorted, and their demonic leaders should have proper world-spanning aspirations. Many of the elements of their might-makes-right ethical framework need to be fleshed out and used in actual play.
# Core90, PROPER KOBOLDS, (Future): Of course, this means different things to different people. To us, a proper kobold is neither a chihuahua man nor a mini-draconian, but instead sort of a small mammaloreptilian humanoid with pointy ears and yellow eyes with a penchant for trickery and mischief, context-based sublanguage, poisonous critter collection, traps and kleptomaniacal hoarding.

third:
do you plan to include 'throwing us bones', like adding a 'prepared meals' category to the 'bring to depot' list or making 'bone/shell' or 'wood' additional options when choosing materials for your military dwarves' equipment , while doing the next few releases, as they would only contain bugfixes, as far as i understood. you know, just easy and fast to implement stuff(at least i think my examples are like that) to prevent having several releases without anything added. i guess it would also help to keep your income at a bearable level.

Inability to bring prepared meals to the depot is on the bug tracker, but the the upcoming (at some point) cooking overhaul will probably make it very hard to trade prepared meals anyway (since they'll spoil and stuff).  Specifying wood/bone/shell items in uniforms is also on the tracker.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: March 04, 2011, 06:37:31 pm »

Moreover, leviathans and behemoths lack interesting attributes and nobody knows what a ziz is.

I don't see why it matters that people don't have pre-existing knowledge of a creature before coming into the game; that would be an argument against most anything creative in most works of fiction, wouldn't it? And if anything, DF does the opposite of shying away from including elements just because people might be unfamiliar with them at first glance.

I personally think that including a ziz, leviathan, and behemoth would be too consistent with Jewish folklore.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: March 04, 2011, 06:55:00 pm »

Dwarf Fortress does a good job at showing why some things are dangerous.

Though right now Megabeasts are disapointingly weak for the most part... and oddly enough I am not just talking about the Titans.

It was disapointing to watch my small group of guards kill my megabeasts one after another. I didn't have to lend any hand in its destruction.

Unfortunately while I could solo megabeasts myself at that point... a chipped bone knocked me out and killed me. Which was odd because I could be turned into goo and have several punctured organs before I'd get knocked out... yet the most deadly injury was chipping.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: March 04, 2011, 07:16:29 pm »

Moreover, leviathans and behemoths lack interesting attributes and nobody knows what a ziz is.

I don't see why it matters that people don't have pre-existing knowledge of a creature before coming into the game; that would be an argument against most anything creative in most works of fiction, wouldn't it? And if anything, DF does the opposite of shying away from including elements just because people might be unfamiliar with them at first glance.

Choosing a label for a creature that is intended as a specific mythological allusion is very different from just inventing a creature.  Creativity is great, but there's a reason why creatures like the Hydra and Dragon and Bronze Colossus and Unicorn and Satyr and so on have such uncreative names.  You could call a unicorn a re'em, too, but that means nothing to 99% of people.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: March 05, 2011, 05:24:03 am »

i think i might have misformulated some of my questions...
concerning the ziz:
-is the roc really a that much wider known name?
-i was simply assuming leviathan would go into the game when ships come around(just like i am assuming basilisks will come with more general dragons and gryphons will become more than just art-motives) and i thought it would be strange to have one of the 3 around and when players expect the others to be there after seeing one it would be strange if they werent. i dont think the game should emulate some mythology coherently, but i always think of those 3 as some kind of unit

concerning the races:
yes, i knew about those cores, but there my questions just arises from: the cores just talk about the cultures of those(except the kobolds)
i wanted to know how far the changes of the races actually will affect their _physiology_(or how changes to their physiology will influence their cultures), as even when the elves get their forstretreats and the goblins their leaders(and so on...), they would still be nothing more than groups of somewhat strange humans.

concerning the stuff on the bugtracker:
i wasnt specifically asking for those things to be done now, those were just examples. this question should have looked more like:
will the future series of releases also cover some of the older annoyances(at least one per release) or will they only include the new features of the arc and related bugs?

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: March 05, 2011, 06:04:12 am »

Yes, the roc is a much wider known name. I'd never heard of the "ziz".

EDIT: After looking both up to check, they're nothing alike. The ziz is a griffin, the roc is a giant eagle.

EDIT 2: Also check out Haast's Eagle for a real life giant eagle.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2011, 06:13:51 am by Thief^ »
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 342