Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572086 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4065 on: March 20, 2011, 02:10:50 am »

I am sad. I must find new bugs to complain.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: March 20, 2011, 03:01:58 am »

or the surface of the ground falling faster than the river level. probably exiting  at a cliff-face.

yeah, that's what we need, cliff-faces, with exposed caverns.

Shoulda been reading this more... I actually had a cliff face with an exposed cavern once.  Parts of it caved in to a river like 15 z-levels below the cavern.  I didn't end up actually playing on that map because I was so stunned I had no idea where to even begin.  And I'm not entirely sure it wasn't a bug.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: March 20, 2011, 08:15:17 am »

hmm, the dragonfire mentioned earlier made me remember:

is there some kind of raw-file-system-overhaul on the dev list, to merge them all in one coherent system?

i think of stuff like using attack entries for armor(eg attacks using a horned helmet) or creature tokens for objects(eg the dragonbreath-system can be used for nice effects when modding firearms, when firing smoke instead of dragonfire)

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: March 20, 2011, 12:10:05 pm »

Haven't been in this thread for a long time so not sure if this has been asked before, but:
Toady, when will you revisit combat balancing? Stuff like "Superdwarvenly dwarf gets a broken finger, falls to the ground (gives into pain) and gets his skull instantly bashed in", or "whips/scourges/arrows/bolts can whip and punch through every armor in existence", or "a slightly bruised brain from a punch for example is always lethal" etc.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: March 20, 2011, 12:35:52 pm »

Haven't been in this thread for a long time so not sure if this has been asked before, but:
Toady, when will you revisit combat balancing? Stuff like "Superdwarvenly dwarf gets a broken finger, falls to the ground (gives into pain) and gets his skull instantly bashed in", or "whips/scourges/arrows/bolts can whip and punch through every armor in existence", or "a slightly bruised brain from a punch for example is always lethal" etc.

When people start getting over questions-suggestions, we now have questions-requests.   ::)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: March 20, 2011, 12:55:00 pm »

A question I've been meaning to ask for a long time that has been gone into some detail in in ye olde DF Talks I believe, could be wrong but now that it's cemented on the dev page I've gotta ask.

For the "explorer/archeologist" adventurer role type... what are the plans for generating ancient ruins and dungeons and so on? Is the ideal something like a random Legend of Zelda, with each room elaborately linked up by your great precursors? Are they going to be anything like the caverns we have today? Or should we expect them to meld into the rest of the world as easily as possible?

I have always been interested in dungeon generation.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #4071 on: March 20, 2011, 03:08:25 pm »

No mention of soap fix, Im sad. :-\
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: March 20, 2011, 04:05:09 pm »

Yea the clean self soap thing pretty much seems to be a massive issue with it.  And is hard to workaround while still keeping the soap's functionality to healthcare.  It's either

A) Don't make any soap and live with losing dwarves to infection.
B) Make very small amounts of soap and hope some gets taken to the hospital before the chests get filled with cloth and forbid all that isn't, and
C) Make soap normally, and just live with the job cancellation spam and nobody ever cleaning themselves.

Of course it is possible that this is one of the last bugs.  And it's also possible that it is more complicated than it looks making it be set aside for a while longer.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: March 20, 2011, 04:12:14 pm »

And is hard to Of course it is possible that this is one of the last bugs.

Have you ever seen the bug tracker? There are plenty left.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4074 on: March 20, 2011, 04:19:51 pm »

I meant one of the last bugs he was doing before release.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: March 20, 2011, 09:48:39 pm »

50 confirmed bugfixes for .22 now, nice.

So, I haven't played seriously since .16 or so, so I'm out of the loop on this, but what really, truly irritating bugs remain that aren't in the changelog for .22? Hospital stocking is fixed, marksdwarf training/combat bolts are fixed, hunters are (at least partially) fixed, fishing is fixed...

So what's left on the "really irritating" list?  The soap cancellation spam is one (hopefully that's up for slaying soon!), what else am I forgetting?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: March 21, 2011, 12:16:39 am »

When people start getting over questions-suggestions, we now have questions-requests.   ::)

Do you ever do anything besides tell people that they don't have a right to speak up?

Have you ever seen the bug tracker? There are plenty left.
I meant one of the last bugs he was doing before release.

Toady's apparently planning on doing one of these for every one of the "short-term releases", so he's probably going to knock out most of the really bad ones... of course, then I have to start talking about things that aren't really "bugs", but are still incomplete features or dummied-out pieces of raws or even things that could be made more modder-friendly (like the recent splitting of vermin_hunter to have the cat adoption code separate from eating vermin).  Hopefully, he'll get around to some of those at some point, as well. 

I generally look forward more to completing more functionality or adding in new features to bugfixes, anyway, but if a Toady dedicated to squashing bugs for a couple weeks can do this much damage to the worst bugs in the game, then I am certainly happy to see it.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: March 21, 2011, 01:47:39 am »

cleaned up a lag problem from ghosts and some other general lag issues

Would I be wrong to read this as some known causes of disproportionate FPS hits have been alleviated?

1000 fps @ 250 dwarves, here we come!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: March 21, 2011, 02:01:42 am »

People have the right to speak up as I have the right to complain. Free of speech works in both ways.

If I was wrong when you made your questions-suggestions in this thread, Toady wouldn't have ignored them.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 12:53:36 pm by thvaz »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: March 21, 2011, 02:38:08 am »

cleaned up a lag problem from ghosts and some other general lag issues

Would I be wrong to read this as some known causes of disproportionate FPS hits have been alleviated?

1000 fps @ 250 dwarves, here we come!

In case you're being serious, do not expect orders of magnitude of improvement
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 342