Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1572323 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4170 on: March 27, 2011, 10:25:16 am »

When will sand get the same treatment as clay? (finder option, shown on embark screen)

That's really my only major complaint with 31.19+: not being able to guarantee sand on my embark unless I embark in a sand desert (which guarantees no clay).

and a line for flux too, which can be searched but it's not shown (unless I'm an idiot and I cannot see it, in that case disregard anything I said)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: March 27, 2011, 10:28:52 am »

Flux appears on the embark screen.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: March 27, 2011, 06:11:49 pm »

With the Talk of upcoming Hill dwarves, I had a thought today- What happens to the hill dwarves when a fortress is abandoned/destroyed? Do they just pack up and leave now that they lack the protection of a fortress, or do they huddle in their villages muttering about the cursed fortress up on the hill? Will these kinds of choices be determined by the reason the fortress ended- HFS, Siege, or just plain old player boredom?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4173 on: March 27, 2011, 07:23:01 pm »

Say, I was thinking of the future multitile trees. Will this mean multiple types of wood from variaous 'tissues' as well?
For instance high quality log, fit for working into anything (or the planks IIRC you mentioned once). and branches/roots (low quality wood/debris), perfect for coalburning, building fences or stuff requiring small bits of wood (bolts, beads etc?).

I already have modded GOODWOOD material, it's for fine barrels and furniture and better crafts & ammo.
I've set it to oak, ash, mahogany, chestnut, maple, highwood, redcedar, redwood, sequoia, cypress, yew, puzzle-tree, black-cap, nether-cap, blood thorn, glumprong.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: March 27, 2011, 09:41:19 pm »

With the Talk of upcoming Hill dwarves, I had a thought today- What happens to the hill dwarves when a fortress is abandoned/destroyed? Do they just pack up and leave now that they lack the protection of a fortress, or do they huddle in their villages muttering about the cursed fortress up on the hill? Will these kinds of choices be determined by the reason the fortress ended- HFS, Siege, or just plain old player boredom?

I think this may depend on things in the Army Arc and the potential Embark goal thingy.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: March 28, 2011, 07:21:58 am »

Hey Toady, will we someday get dried streams and rivers, including underground ones(With nearby caverns covered in mud, soil, etc. and some rare plants and animals.)?

Perhaps add possibility for rivers to go underground, so we'd get a new way to travel into caverns in adventurer mode.

Ok, going with water-related suggestions, I'd also like to suggest lakes, as I haven't really seen big lakes that are not sea.
I don't need a signature.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #4176 on: March 28, 2011, 09:15:01 am »

Sing, o muse, of the forum forgotten;
That wonderful land of mystery.
Where threads of suggestions are commen;
And you comment should now be.

-Ode to the Suggestions Forum
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4177 on: March 28, 2011, 02:02:07 pm »

With the exception of the last line (and it could be rephrased as a question about plans for large lakes), those are all valid questions about future development.

I'm sure they've been asked a bunch, but no need to jump on the guy (those questions don't really seem to form enough of a suggestion to merit an actual suggestion).

If you cant find good answers by searching (if you do find it, PM me because I'd love to know), you should submit it to DF talk. Those will not be simple answers, and they are not in the immediate future (see the mini release arc details, I'm guessing those'll take until christmas), so you won't get a satisfactory Toady reply here.

While I am complaining about this, I find it very difficult to ask a question here. If I ask a very detailed specific question I get told it is a suggestion. If it is too broad, it is for DF talk. Could you update the first post with a very brief outline of what you will consider valid subjects for questions?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:05:30 pm by Quatch »
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: March 28, 2011, 02:05:06 pm »

Hey Toady, will we someday get dried streams and rivers, including underground ones(With nearby caverns covered in mud, soil, etc. and some rare plants and animals.)?

Perhaps add possibility for rivers to go underground, so we'd get a new way to travel into caverns in adventurer mode.

Ok, going with water-related suggestions, I'd also like to suggest lakes, as I haven't really seen big lakes that are not sea.
I made a thread for this. Search for "cliffs rivers exposed caverns" and you should see a thread by me on this.
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: March 28, 2011, 02:22:08 pm »

Those all seemed like clear suggestions to me...  If you ask "will we ever get X" and it's related to something recently added or a planned feature on the dev log in a short-term way, then it's a suggestion, really.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: March 28, 2011, 03:29:10 pm »

Those all seemed like clear suggestions to me...  If you ask "will we ever get X" and it's related to something recently added or a planned feature on the dev log in a short-term way, then it's a suggestion, really.
This definition is somewhat imperfect. In its current state, it could apply to a fair few perfectly legitimate questions. Consider issues of phrasing. Suppose the questions had been as follows:

I've been thinking about water a lot lately. What is the future of fresh water bodies? Will we get the frlooding of 2d back? Presumably if you did this in depth it would be weather-oriented and we could have wet and dry spells, but is weather likely to get that level of detail?
Also, will more realistic or at least more varied subterranean water go in with the mines coming up? I'm thinking specifically of the return of the underground rivers, and ideally even rivers that could traverse different z-levels and breach the surface or caverns."

Then slap some limegreen on a couple of those sentances. It would at the very least appear to be perfectly legitimate, despite containing and requesting very similar sets of information.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: March 28, 2011, 03:37:02 pm »

Originally the "Future of the Fortress" threads were for asking questions concerning current development of the game,i.e. updates on the devlog. For example, Toady or Threetoe would write " Armies are moving on world gen during play now" and we would ask questions related to it, while there wasn't a release. Most of the questions would be answered by the release, indeed, sometimes, Toady didn't answer them after a release because they were made clear by the release itself.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: March 28, 2011, 04:09:43 pm »

When the caravans begin to move around the map, will there be caravans for every trade route or caravans that travel along multiple trade routes?

To clarify, if Town A has trade routes with B, C, and D. Will we see three caravans coming and going between the towns or will Town A have a single caravan going to B, C, and D?

Will the caravans be sent by bigger towns going to the smaller towns or will the smaller towns send trade caravans to the bigger towns or will both be possible?

Altogether, I'm just a bit curious about what kind of movement behavior we are likely to see from caravans once they begin to move around the map.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: March 28, 2011, 04:40:06 pm »

Toady: How do you see Fort mode migration waves changing in light of the Hill Dwarf feature, if at all? Would it still be the primary source of new dwarves? Would people migrate to become Hill Dwarves instead of Fort Dwarves?

I've always been struck by how migration is sort of all or nothing in the default version, so you're either getting slammed by waves of new migrants or getting none at all through a modified pop cap. Would Hill Dwarves coming in have any impact on the whole migrant situation?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: March 28, 2011, 05:20:45 pm »

I've always been struck by how migration is sort of all or nothing in the default version, so you're either getting slammed by waves of new migrants or getting none at all through a modified pop cap. Would Hill Dwarves coming in have any impact on the whole migrant situation?

I hope so. It would be nice if instead of tantrumming, some dwarves would just left your fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 342