Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My baby is starving  (Read 7242 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
My baby is starving
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:34:55 pm »

Hi. So. Didn't find anything on this.

During an ambush one of my civilian dwarves had her foot lopped off. Miraculously, she survived.. but she also recieved internal injuries in the fight and is still in bed. She's out of harms way. ... so much, in fact, that she gave birth!

The mother is unable to tend to the child and since I'm not sure if babies still kill themselves in 31.10 I made a burrow near the mother and told the baby to stay in it. Now. Dwarves pass by and give the baby water but not food! the baby is starving to death here and I wonder. Is there ANYTHING I can do about it?

I've removed the burrow, in the hope that babby mcdwarf will crawl to a food storage and feed herself, rather than jump in the well.. but she isn't moving.

edit: after a while she left the safety of the burrow but still won't feed herself... I forced the dwarves to milk some creatures; but they refuse to give her milk. I'm losing hope.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:59:13 pm by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
Re: My baby is starving
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 01:15:19 pm »

Well dwarfs don't seem to care about babies that aren't theirs. So the best solution is probably some magma before he goes beserk.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 01:23:40 pm »

Nothing can eat or drink milk.  The baby will eat the same food every other dwarf eats, but won't feed itself.  All I can recommend is making sure you have idle dwarves with the feed injured/prisoner labor enabled and no other labor enabled.  If they still won't feed the baby, there's nothing to be done.  You don't need to worry about the baby going berserk, it'll just starve to death.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 01:25:59 pm »

Wait perhaps the sollution is to injure the baby, may I sugest magma?
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 01:39:54 pm »

injuring the baby?

that's brilliant!! there's not a moment to lose! she'll die by starvation if i don't do something!

edit: ... that's ... odd. somehow the baby stopped starving and just became hungry. maybe one of the dwarves who were working on the spike trap beneath it decided to toss her some food.

yep. "recieved food lately" ... i guess feeding babies is a low-priority job until they're almost dead. i'll see if she gets fed more often once i impale her once.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 01:49:41 pm by Aspgren »
I have an art blog now.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 02:34:00 pm »

Injure the baby anyway just for the sake of it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 02:43:52 pm »

Injure the baby anyway just for SCIENCE!

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 02:58:58 pm »

Babies don't really do anything anyways except suck up your FPS. Can you order your dwarves to kill civilians? I'm not sure, but if you can, make your military dorfs chop the baby up for science.

backflip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 03:06:48 pm »

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.
No, its realistic.

I dont think realism is a major concern in a game about alcoholic midgets fighting dragons and soapmen.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »

I injured the baby with a nicely placed trap. but the doctors refuse to touch it.

I ordered it into a 1x1 burrow in a hospital bed ... but the doctors STILL refuse to touch it! it's now starving, dehydrated and has a broken leg.

I have alot of other things to think about at the moment since goblins came and completely obliterated my military. There's ONE dwarf standing.. so all civilians who have hauling enabled are fighting to the death over who gets the socks... the doctors, who have no other occupations than tending to the wounded STILL won't touch the baby.

Okay if there were actually anyone wounded from the battle but the entire military is dead. so there is nothing to stop them from helping the baby! these pricks are just cruel!
I have an art blog now.

Taranli Maren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 04:52:15 pm »

What about killing the mother?  Maybe orphans are treated differently than babies with mothers.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 05:05:39 pm »

What sorcery is this!  A DF player actually going out of his way to SAVE a baby dwarf?  This is inconceivable!
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 05:14:08 pm »

You will notice that the player INJURED the baby.

I've had a disabled mother who cannot stand, and had all her limbs chopped off, have a baby. They were BOTH feed for a couple of years. You just need idle, mostly happy dwarves. It's like cleaning--- they'll do it if they are in a decent mood. I ended up losing the mother to starvation--- my dwarves got too busy moving the goblin leftovers around, and then picking through it for their own stuff, to bother feeding her, but until then, things worked out.

It really helps if they are UNCONSCIOUS. Don't know why, but it seems to. So let the baby wander around. As soon as it passes out, a happy dwarf WHO IS IDLE AND NEARBY will stuff a plump helmet down its gullet. Odds are, the baby will just wander into a meeting area of some kind.

Note the key elements: Idle, nearby, and not miserable. Remember--- if you dwarves are happy enough to clean, they are happy enough to feed

As for civilians--- the easiest way to weed out the undesirables is to make an atom smasher or a drowning/magma chamber. Create a burrow in the kill zone. Assign the undesirable to that burrow. Once all are present, commence the sacrifice to Armok.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 07:18:42 pm »

Keeping the baby around other dwarves seem to have some effect ...

... she's unhappy, starving, thirsty and wounded but atleast she's alive! If she can just avoid dying for another 7 months she'll be a real dwarf! .. though i wonder what kind of dwarf.. Considering that she spent her early years in excrutiating pain, never once tended to by her own mother.

Scratch that. They got around to feeding her no matter where she was before, now that she was right next to them they just ignored her. She died of starvation.. I can't believe helping a baby is such a low priority job.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 09:23:45 pm by Aspgren »
I have an art blog now.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 09:31:19 pm »

Keeping the baby around other dwarves seem to have some effect ...

... she's unhappy, starving, thirsty and wounded but atleast she's alive! If she can just avoid dying for another 7 months she'll be a real dwarf! .. though i wonder what kind of dwarf.. Considering that she spent her early years in excrutiating pain, never once tended to by her own mother.

Scratch that. They got around to feeding her no matter where she was before, now that she was right next to them they just ignored her. She died of starvation.. I can't believe helping a baby is such a low priority job.

in Dwarven society, production trumps health it seems.
Pages: [1] 2